guess who pitched 6 scoreless innings

Ishmookie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Relax, YAS

If he had truly moved on like he said he has, he wouldn't have posted 4 responses in a row in the thread.

The point is, I didn't say anything remotely insulting to him or anyone else. I just complimented Rex on the way he responded to those comments. I didn't catagorize the comments in any offensive way either. Then this asswipe resorts to that crap.

My comments are intended for everyone of our fellow Sox fans that continue to dwell on what we could still have or what we have given up. I can't stand it.

Then kindly don't read the thread..... Or sit on your hands if the urge to type is that great.

In a way you are because the pitcher he was with us was a pitcher in the American League. The pitcher he has become and developed into has done so in the National League. There is no proof that he would have done so in the American League or developed into this pitcher with the White Sox.

Once again, you don't get it. It has NOTHING to do with AL vs. NL. That is purely circumstantial. Never was it said that his success in the AL would mirror that of what he has done in the NL. It was said that I (as well as some others) were not surprised at his success and expected him to be successful all along. It is as simple as that.

Thanks again for your two cents......

Then kindly don't read the thread.....  Or sit on your hands if the urge to type is that great. 

Once again, you don't get it.  It has NOTHING to do with AL vs. NL.  That is purely circumstantial.  Never was it said that his success in the AL would mirror that of what he has done in the NL.  It was said that I (as well as some others) were not surprised at his success and expected him to be successful all along.  It is as simple as that.

Thanks again for your two cents......

I can respond to anything I like just as you can comment on how you were not suprised on Wells' success. Thank you for giving me those options though. Much appreciated.

Just as I have said, you were not intending to compare the two, that is just the way it is because of the way his career has gone so far. His success that you are not suprised at has only come in the NL. He was not successful in the AL and there is no proof that he ever would have been or will be. I do get it. I don't know if you do.

You can have my two cents anytime.

The point is, I didn't say anything remotely insulting to him or anyone else.  I just complimented Rex on the way he responded to those comments.  I didn't catagorize the comments in any offensive way either.  Then this asswipe resorts to that crap.

YASNY all I am saying is that post was the biggest ass kissing fest I have ever seen. I am sure I could have put it more delicately, but I really didn't think you would get so bent out of shape over it.

Relax, YAS

If he had truly moved on like he said he has, he wouldn't have posted 4 responses in a row in the thread.

Cheat, I will never get over the our fans worrying about deals we have done in the past. About what would have happened or what could have been.

Cheat, I will never get over the our fans worrying about deals we have done in the past. About what would have happened or what could have been.

It's the nature of the beast, SSI. "What could have been.." is all we have without a positive postseason in 50 years..

Just as I have said, you were not intending to compare the two, that is just the way it is because of the way his career has gone so far. His success that you are not suprised at has only come in the NL. He was not successful in the AL and there is no proof that he ever would have been or will be. I do get it. I don't know if you do.

I'll compare the two since you're looking for a fight and I have the numbers to back it up....

You forget that there are interleague games...

Kips ERA in interleague games is even more impressive than the rest of his starts...

15IP 14H 5R 5ER 5BB 10K --- That works out to an ERA of 3.00 a WHIP@1.25 and BAA about .250

--------------------------

You'll no doubt argue that pitchers in the national league have a lower ERA, while this is true, It's significantly less than what you think it is...

American League

Year  R/G    RA    G   ERA    IP    H    H/G    BB  BB/G  HR  HR/G   SO  SO/G  CG  SHO  SV pAge 
+----+-----+-----+----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+----+----+----+-----+----+----+---+---+----
2003  4.86 11061 2270  4.53 20224 20905   9.2  7111  3.1 2500 1.10 13735 6.05  110 109 538 28.7 
2002  4.81 10862 2264  4.46 20164 20592   9.1  7290  3.2 2457 1.09 14020 6.19  115 122 558 28.7

National League

Year  R/G    RA    G   ERA    IP    H    H/G    BB  BB/G  HR  HR/G   SO  SO/G  CG  SHO  SV pAge 
+----+-----+-----+----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+----+----+----+-----+----+----+---+---+----
2003  4.61 11917 2590  4.28 23110 23152   8.9  8778  3.4 2707 1.05 17066 6.59   99 150 661 28.8 
2002  4.45 11546 2588  4.10 23105 22680   8.8  8956  3.5 2602 1.01 17374 6.71   99 153 666 28.8

The average difference between the two leagues is over the two years is 0.3 ER... Applying that to the kippers numbers over the past two years ....

Kips ERA over 2002&3 = 3.43

Kips Estimated AL ERA over the same time frame = 3.73

To give that 3.73 number some meaning I'll compare it to Mark Beuhrle's over the same time frame....MB 2002&3 ERA = 4.05

I can respond to anything I like just as you can comment on how you were not suprised on Wells' success. Thank you for giving me those options though. Much appreciated.

You can have my two cents anytime.

If it were only worth two cents.......

I dont think we can say how wells is based on one start this year...he is good pitcher and would have defintely helped us more than ritchie, but i think it is a stretch to call him an "ace" after only one outing...If you want to make those assumptions then I guess it's safe to say the Yankees are worse than the Devil Rays..or that Travis Hafner is the best hitter in the league...

YASNY all I am saying is that post was the biggest ass kissing fest I have ever seen. I am sure I could have put it more delicately, but I really didn't think you would get so bent out of shape over it.

I was impressed with the way Rex handled himself. And I expressed that. I wasn't sucking to him, nor kissing his ass. I'm willing to bury the hatchet here, but let me suggest using a bit more tact in the future.

I dont think we can say how wells is based on one start this year...he is good pitcher and would have defintely helped us more than ritchie, but i think it is a stretch to call him an "ace" after only one outing...If you want to make those assumptions then I guess it's safe to say the Yankees are worse than the Devil Rays..or that Travis Hafner is the best hitter in the league...

I don't think he was being called an "ace" perse... Just a few guys tossing around their thoughts that he would become a "good" pitcher. :huh

I agree he is not an ACE right now. Could he be? Yes.... Will he be? don't know... Is he very good now? Yep

I think that sums up the whole gist of the point I was trying to make. I do agree with you that he is not among the elite pitchers at this point and may never be. That doesn't preclude him from being very good.

If you look on the first page people were calling him an ace, but for the most part people were calling him a good pitcher and I agree with that...

To clarify, I was referring to the latter part of the thread. Sorry bout that.. :lolhitting

Well I dont think you can call him a good pitcher until he gets 15+ wins consistently...

Don't wanna sound like a dick cub fan or whatever but Mike, do you think Kerry Wood is a good pitcher? I'm asking this because he doesn't get 15+ wins consistantly but he gets hitters out. Do you think he's a good pitcher?

Well I dont think you can call him a good pitcher until he gets 15+ wins consistently...I think his era would be higher if he pitched somewhere other than Pittsburg, which is known as a pitchers park...

Here's kip's number's:

Year Tm  Lg  W   L   G   GS  GF  CG   IP     H    R   ER   HR  BB   SO  HBP   ERA *lgERA *ERA+
+--------------+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+------+----+----+----+---+----+----+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+
2002 PIT NL  12  14  33  33   0   1  198.3  197   92   79  21   71  134   7    3.58  4.32  121
2003 PIT NL  10   9  31  31   0   1  197.3  171   77   72  24   76  147   7    3.28  4.24  129

And the definitions for lgERA and ERA+

lgERA - Earned Run Average for a league average pitcher in that ballpark or combination of ballparks.

ERA+ - the ratio of the league's ERA (adjusted to the pitcher's ballpark) to that of the pitcher. > 100 is above average and

Kip's ERA+ is well more than 100, which I would interperet as being a "good" pitcher.

I just got the chance to log back into this conversation and am appalled at the lack of manners, grace, dignity, respect, proper decorum, etiquette, baseball knowledge, etc, etc, Did I get it all in?

Really I wish we could just agree to disagree. It's just a discussion after all and everyone has an opinion to express and they should be respected as such. After reading the posts I think I need some valium with a Jack Daniels chaser. :banghead :fight :cheers :bringit :nono

I do like you all though. Now we should start talking about Bartolo Colon and his great start for the Angels.

Jarry Manual