Preseason Optimism

DonkeyKongerko

I just get all excited preseason every year no matter what the Sox are expected to do. For the first time in many years I think my optimism may be outweighed by others' expectations. Since 2002 was such a disappointing campaign, I am going to be a little cautious entering this season. Still there is nothing like the feeling that your team is in the race (and winning).

Also this quote from MLB.com really makes me drool..... :lol:

The Chicago lineup will be one of the most dangerous around, with at least six everyday players -- Magglio Ordonez (.320, 38 HR, 135 RBIs last season), Paul Konerko (.304, 27, 104), Carlos Lee (.264, 26, 80), Thomas (.252, 28, 92), Jose Valentin (.249, 25, 75) and Joe Crede (.285, 12, 35 in just 53 games) -- capable of hitting 30 homers and driving in 100 runs. The addition of veteran Sandy Alomar Jr. bolsters the catching and the White Sox are optimistic center fielder Aaron Rowand will make strides in 2003 after hitting .258 in 302 at-bats last season.

I've gone into the past two seasons with a lot of doubt mixed in with my usual optimistic additude........ This Year...... I dont have that doubt. They are going to win the central this year, and most likely they are going to win it for the next few years......

I just have this feelin that Minnesota is going to completely fall apart infront of all of our eyes.

cubkilla makes an excellent point though - I feel good about the season but experiences has taught me never to get too high nor too low - no one say the diaster of 1970 or struggles of 2001 coming, and no one was preidicting what happened in 1983 or 2000, or even 1993 - who know, one spring training injury... a rash of early season injuries (ala 2001) - anything could happen - or we could go out and win 90 games and miss the playoffs - or we can go wire to wire and then the next 11.

So it is a guarded optimism that I feel -

They've flopped 2 years in a row.  Nothing to get excited about until they actually start to perform like they should.

I agree.

I'm not saying they won't win anything, but a lot of things have to go our way. As of now, I'm thinking above .500. Anything after that will be a pleasant surprise.

the only predicting im doing is that ill be grillin some steaks at the big tailgating party on opening day at comiskey...other than that..im just gonna hopefully enjoy the season....

i love the cold weather but this winter sux..no snow at all...we are due a very warm april this year..thats what impredicting..nice april weather and sell out crowds :lol:

the only predicting im doing is that ill be grillin some steaks at the big tailgating party on opening day at comiskey...

Ha! You are already wrong!

You would be doing that U. S. Cellular Field!

This is 2003, get with the program!! The name "Comiskey" is so last millenium! :D

the only predicting im doing is that ill be grillin some steaks at the big tailgating party on opening day at comiskey...

Ha! You are already wrong!

You would be doing that U. S. Cellular Field!

This is 2003, get with the program!! The name "Comiskey" is so last millenium! :D

ive been calling it comiskey since '69..i dont think im gonna change..thats why i dont care what name they call it now..ill always call it comiskey

...on the one hand, my jeans get a bit tight thinking about how the sox could go deep into october....however, I still can't sleep at night thinking that the c, 2b, ss and cf positions are being given to relatively untested and unproven guys at the ml level....anybody got any valium? :(

...on the one hand, my jeans get a bit tight thinking about how the sox could go deep into october....however, I still can't sleep at night thinking that the c, 2b, ss and cf positions are being given to relatively untested and unproven guys at the ml level....anybody got any valium? :(

Jose has been proven....he has hit 25 or more homers the past 3 years...and he makes a lot of errors...so what. He gets the job done. For the runs he gives up defensively, he makes up with his power and timely hitting. Jose's good

Jimenez will be fine as well....and at catcher, we atleast have a good defensive guy in Miguel....I'm worried about CF, and that is it....will it be Rowand, Borchard or Harris or maybe someone else? That is my only concern.

Jose has been proven....he has hit 25 or more homers the past 3 years...and he makes a lot of errors...so what. He gets the job done. For the runs he gives up defensively, he makes up with his power and timely hitting. Jose's good

Jimenez will be fine as well....and at catcher, we atleast have a good defensive guy in Miguel....I'm worried about CF, and that is it....will it be Rowand, Borchard or Harris or maybe someone else? That is my only concern.

Ok, I will take back the comment on ss....Valentin is a proven commodity, but I still stand firm with regards to Olivo, Jiminez and the Rowand/Borchard/Harris situation...the may be fine, but they are still unproven, and we have seen and been talking very optimistically over the past few Feb's about how great the unproven guys will be and how they don't seem to always pan out....

...don't mind me, I just happen to be in the pessimistic mood today.....tell me I shouldn't worry..... :(

Jimenez and Olivo people can be concerned about....because other than the last two months of last year, Jimenez had been a career .240 hitter....and Olivo has played 6 major league games....nothing proven there. Rowand may not be ready for CF, Harris may and probably will suck this year and Borchard could strike out 150-200 times if he were up at the majors this year(though he would hit 20-30 homers).

People can worry about all 4 middle positions, though 3 is the more logical answer....I am only concerned about CF.

yep, and that's whats got me worried....they are THE four most critical defensive positions on the field and I question the lack of experience and leadership from these kids over a very long ml season...maybe one or two work out, but nobody should be overly enthused about the situation until we see some consistency and solid numbers from these guys come July/August....

I'm totally excited about this season.  Even more so than I was prior to the 2001 season.  I'm willing to bet it all that they will be in the playoffs.

....hmmm..curious to know what "betting it all" really means....the house? the car? the wife and kids?

....better hold on to some money on the side just in case the season ends up like so many have in the past... :)

One tidbit of advice....

Never bet it all with the White Sox....never ever. Ever since 1919, betting on the White Sox has been a jip....if all 4 teams in the AL Central died in a plane crash(hypothetically speaking), the White Sox STILL wouldn't win the division if you put money on them.

One tidbit of advice....

Never bet it all with the White Sox....never ever.  Ever since 1919, betting on the White Sox has been a jip....if all 4 teams in the AL Central died in a plane crash(hypothetically speaking), the White Sox STILL wouldn't win the division if you put money on them.

Thats why I won't make any type of a bet this year. They are going to go all the way.