ok so im new here...

L.U.C.K.Y.

Sup,  Lucky.  I'm from Hanover Park,  which is a Northwest Suburb of Chicago.  Been a Sox fan for about 15 years.  The big hurt is my all-time favorite Sox player.  I also like to execute Cub fans... :fthecubs

I think the proper term for the elimination of vermin is exterminate. Anyway, keep up the good work. :headbang

Perhaps actually IN Chicago if I teach in the Chicago Public Schools.

You're kidding right? Have you seen Dangerous Minds or The Substitue? Its honestly not far off from the truth. Those kids don't give a s*** about learning.

And welcome all new members!

:headbang :cheers :usa :fthecubs :drink

You're kidding right? Have you seen Dangerous Minds or The Substitue? Its honestly not far off from the truth. Those kids don't give a s*** about learning.

There are plenty, more than not, of schools in the Chicago limits that are better academically than in the burbs.

And if you think there isn't crime in the burbs - in some schools it's worse than in the city (i.e.. remember Columbine..?), you're a bit misinformed.

Good Luck!  My aunt retired a year ago from teaching in the public school system  (she taught at Gompers). :)

Know what really surprised me? Is how fast these Chicago Public schools have deterioated. I know you lived close to my old neighborhood so you can detest to the change. Bogan during the mid 90's was highly regarded as a great product of the Chicago educational system. Now, its gang infested with security guards and metal detectors guarding entrances/exits to the school.

Know what really surprised me? Is how fast these Chicago Public schools have deterioated.  I know you lived close to my old neighborhood so you can detest to the change.  Bogan during the mid 90's was highly regarded as a great product of the Chicago educational system.  Now, its gang infested with security guards and metal detectors guarding entrances/exits to the school.

Bogan is an excellent example. Makes no sense why that area has turned into such crap.. but there are some good schools, and many good students. It's not fair to generalize. Not all 30K students are bad and don't want to learn.

Know what really surprised me? Is how fast these Chicago Public schools have deterioated.  I know you lived close to my old neighborhood so you can detest to the change.  Bogan during the mid 90's was highly regarded as a great product of the Chicago educational system.  Now, its gang infested with security guards and metal detectors guarding entrances/exits to the school.

The schools near where I grew up (Gage and Morrell (grammar school)) were bad back then, I couldn't even imagine how bad they are now...

I know what you mean though. My sister is hoping that Hubbard overcomes the neighborhood (my parents still live a few blocks away) and maintains the quality of education they had when she was there.

Bogan is an excellent example. Makes no sense why that area has turned into such crap.. but there are some good schools, and many good students. It's not fair to generalize. Not all 30K students are bad and don't want to learn.

I'll put you on the spot for a moment. Try to name one decent Chicago public school. Its not that these inner cities kids are dumb, families just lack the funds to pay for a proper education. These kids are not yearning for a education but rather the easy way out: drugs, rap artist, or becoming a professional athlete are the only choices to some.

I'll put you on the spot for a moment.  Try to name one decent Chicago public school. Its not that these inner cities kids are dumb, families just lack the funds to pay for a proper education.  These kids are not yearning for a education but rather the easy way out: drugs, rap artist, or becoming a professional athlete are the only choices to some.

Ummm inner city schools are poor because of the property tax system. It has nothing to do with what can be afforded. Because the neighbor hoods are poor, property values are low, so the funding for the schools is low.

I'll put you on the spot for a moment.  Try to name one decent Chicago public school. Its not that these inner cities kids are dumb, families just lack the funds to pay for a proper education.  These kids are not yearning for a education but rather the easy way out: drugs, rap artist, or becoming a professional athlete.

Off the top of my head... Kenwood, Brooks, Lane Tech, Carver, Morgan Park, Englewood, Von Steuben, Taft....