2004 Amateur Baseball Draft

Most of them are pay. I'm going to write a few articles leading up to the draft as things get closer on FutureSox.

After the draft, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you won't find any site with a more comprehensive scouting report and analysis on the Sox draft then you will on FutureSox :) although it does usually take us a bit of time to get it up because its so demanding to research and get the info on every prospect. I think last year we had reports on 44 of the 50 selections.

However, BA ocassionally has good stuff (www.baseballamerica.com) and teamonebaseball seems to be the best site in general for that type of stuff, although I've never read their pay content becuase its a pretty expensive site. But if you read the stories BA does on college players, you'll get a good insite to the draft.

Ya, the Sox have quite a few early picks. I think they select 17th (going off memory) and then they have two picks for losing Gordon and two early picks for losing Colon.

They will have 2 supplementary first rounders and then they get the Angels and Yankees 2nd round pick if I recall.

They will have a total of 6 picks in the 1st two rounds if I'm not mistaken.

Well the best pitcher in college and player is Jared Weaver. Corey Pattersons brother is probably the best leadoff prospect out there. Rice has quite a few good players (names escape me right now..some are pitchers). Then there is Sowers, a LHP from Vandy if I think right whose pretty good.

If there is any player I could see sliding to the Sox pick, it would be Sowers from Vandy. He is rated as better, but could slide down due to signing issues and such, although I still find it unlikely. He's a really good looking pitcher though.

Nienman or something is another one of the very good players, I'm pretty sure from Rice.

EVerything is kind of jumbled up in my head right now on the draft cause the picture is still only semi clear. I couldn't even tell ya who the good high school players are at this point in time.

In all seriousness we could if we are so good at scouting them.  Then after we corner the market, just trade the extras away for the talent we need to fill in our holes.  Not the greatest strategy devised but it could happen.

Well in 50 rounds we are sure to pick quite a few outfielders, but I hope we don't pick any in the early rounds unless we have the intent on trading some of the guys currently in our system. I say the guys in our system because I don't like the idea of giving up on a guy before he plays a full season.

I Think the Sox may take Landon Powell or Jeff Clement with one of their supplemntary picks. They are the top two college catchers in the country in my book.

I think they will either draft a college pitcher or a speedy leadoff type infielder in the 1st round. I got a feeling they may go after Patterson's brother, although I haven't looked at his stats recently to see if he was still playing well.