Monday Misc.

Texsox

Off Day for the Sox.

OK I'll start.

Fund raising. I absolutely HATE asking people I know for money, even for a good cause. Our youth group bowl-a-thon is coming up, and I haven't been able to get myself to do anything for it. To any of those out there who do this kind of thing, how do you do it effectively???

OK I'll start.

Fund raising.  I absolutely HATE asking people I know for money, even for a good cause.  Our youth group bowl-a-thon is coming up, and I haven't been able to get myself to do anything for it.  To any of those out there who do this kind of thing, how do you do it effectively???

OK, I'll donate, but that was a s***ty way to ask :D

I have to do it all the time. I prefer asking for biger dollars from fewer people so I usually go to friends who own businesses and ask for a contribution. For the smaller stuff, I rotate. This person hears about Girl Scout Cookies, this person about Boy Scout Popcorn, this person get's the High School Tennis Team stuff, etc.

Effectively? Do not worry about effective, just keep asking people. Play the numbers like a mutual fund.

OK, I'll donate, but that was a s***ty way to ask  :D

I have to do it all the time. I prefer asking for biger dollars from fewer people so I usually go to friends who own businesses and ask for a contribution. For the smaller stuff, I rotate. This person hears about Girl Scout Cookies, this person about Boy Scout Popcorn, this person get's the High School Tennis Team stuff, etc.

Effectively? Do not worry about effective, just keep asking people. Play the numbers like a mutual fund.

Just in case it wasn't clear... I am not asking for money.... just advice.

And actually the problem you were talking about with all of the fund raisers that go on, is a problem that the group is running more and more into, espesially with unemployment and wages were they are in NW Indiana right now. Basically if you aren't working a $7 service job, you are either unemployed or very afraid of being unemployed.

Just in case it wasn't clear... I am not asking for money.... just advice.

I know. Just kidding.

It has become a problem here as well. In my house this year we have had 10 fundraisers between my two kids, three at one time.

That is why, if possible, I urge groups to look for corporate underwriting. Or stop and think if we really need a fundraiser to accomplish the program goals. For example, one group was trying to raise about $30 per person. To do that each kid needed to sell about $75 from a catalog. I asked f the parents would rather just send in the $30 or but $75 out of the book. (Face it most of the sales goes to family and friends.) THey chose the straight donation.

I feel that way about "support letters". My old church back in PA recommended that we send out letters to the people we knew to help raise money for mission trips. It always felt impersonal and ackward. It's usually for a good cause though, so people are cool with sending money. It just feels like begging.

A young couple got married and left on their honeymoon. Back at home

for a few days, the bride called her mother.

"Well, how was the honeymoon?" asked the mother.

"Oh, Mama," she replied, "the honeymoon was wonderful! So

romantic..."

Suddenly she burst out crying. "But, Mama, as soon as we returned,

Sam started using the most horrible language. He's been saying things

I've never heard before! All these awful four-letter words! You've

got to come get me and take me home! Please, Mama!"

"Sarah, Sarah," her mother said, "calm down! Tell me, what could be

so awful? What four-letter words has he been using?"

"Please don't make me tell you, Mama," wept the daughter, "I'm so

embarrassed! They're just too awful! You've got to come get me and

take me home! Please, Mama!"

"Darling, baby, you must tell me what has you so upset. Tell your