Andy Gonzalez Promoted to Winston Salem

Chisoxfn

Andy Gonzalez Promoted to Winston Salem

By Jason Gage

April 23, 2004

FutureSox.com

Shortstop prospect Andy Gonzalez was promoted to Winston Salem earlier today to replace Tommy Nicholson's roster spot. Nicholson was promoted to Charlotte earlier in the day.

Gonzalez was once the best shortstop prospect in the organization, but has lost that status by with the emergence of Robert Valido. Gonzalez was having a strong season in Kannapolis batting .271 with 1 HR, and 3 RBI.

Nicholson played 19 games with the Knights and hit .140. Nicholson was hitting .176 for the Warthogs.

The Skinny:

Gonzalez will likely be the starting shortstop in Winston Salem. His arrival will probably push current starter, Pedro Lopez, back to his normal position second base.

This move will also make Robert Valido the full time shortstop in Kannapolis. Valido has been platooning with Gonzalez at shortstop and second base. Antoin Gray will become the starting second baseman.

He has a s***ty season with 2 or 3 good games and gets promoted. Well, W-S has no hitting and this lets Valido and Gray play more. So I'm all for it, even if it's not deserving.

Excately. Gonzo wasn't even hitting in Kinny, has a couple games where he went 2-3 then gets promoted.. I love this because of Gray finally getting his chance and Valido playing more but unless he tears it up in his promotion like Reed (which I don't think will happen) he will really struggle in Winston.

I'm all for this move and Valido and Gray will get more consistent playin time, although I will say it is a bit disheartining for sum players to see sum1 like Andy Gonzalez who hasn't exactly got his head on straight get a call up when he hasn't really deserved it. Let's hope he makes the most of his oppurtunities at Winstom Salem though.