Steroid Paper

SuperSteve

Steve,

What's your thesis statement going to be? Where you allowed any topic? It should be relatively easy to pull some quotes from athletes, fans, and doctors. I could see an easy 5 - 7 page paper. Start with why athletes would want them, then why they pose long term health benefits, possibly cite stats between Sammy hitting 50 home runs and what he earns and what someone hitting 35 home runs earns.

Sounds like it could be a great paper.

I am writing a paper on steroids in baseball, and I was wondering if anyone has ever written a paper on steroids, steroids in sports, steroids in baseball, performance enhancing drugs, etc. Anyone have any information on it too?

I wrote a paper on steroids in college in 1986; my sources are outdated by now, I'm sure.

There was a doctor who lived locally in Chicago who was a competitive bodybuilder who used steroids, but wrote a book on the dangers of steroid use, after experiencing many side effects. I was able to call him and talk to him extensively.

I don't remember his name right now; if/when I think of it, I will let you know.

Your in luck! I just did a paper about 1 month ago for my health class. I did a paper and power point presentation. I got an A. Here it is:

Steroid Use in Sports

Steroid use is a major problem in sports today. Numerous players in the NBS, MLB, NFL, and even NHL have been suspected or convicted for using steroids. In sports, the kind of steroids I am talking about is Anabolic.

Anabolic means the phase of metabolism in which simple substances are synthesized into the complex materials of living tissue. Steroids are an organic compound affecting the growth of sex hormones and muscle mass. Together, anabolic steroids are the main product used in sports to give the athlete energy and strength.

The reason the steroids first became illegal was because sports world was shocked when Canadian Ben Johnson was denied his gold medal at the 1988 Olympics after tests showed he had taken anabolic steroids. The incident gained international attention to the use of anabolic steroids among world-class athletes to gain competitive advantage. Still, athletes and non-athletes persist in taking them. Teenagers are taking anabolic steroids not just to succeed in sports but to enhance their image of themselves to feel comfortable.

The non-medical use of anabolic steroids raises issues. Steroids use is illegal. Abusers get these drugs through illegal and expensive ways. Athletes who use these drugs are cheating. They gain an unfair advantage over other athletes and violate the ban on steroids imposed by most major sports organizations such as the MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL.

Steroids are not completely bad though. They are boosters but they are not always used for sports. Inhaling steroids can relieve many diseases including cancer and asthma. The positives of steroids are:

• Build Muscle

• Increase Body Mass

• Improve Speed

• Increase Endurance

• May Relieve Asthma

Although there are numerous positives, the effects are mostly negative. They may

relieve some diseases but they can also cause more. The negatives of steroids are:

• Leads to Prostate Cancer

• Liver Dysfunctions

• Shrinkage of Testicles in Males

• Heart Disease

• Kidney Problems

• Possible Death

Steroids have many after effects. These effects are Psychological and Physical. The main effects are physical but here are the main psychological effects: Roid Rage or the extreme uncontrollable aggression due to high levels of testosterone, irritability, aggressiveness, depression, mood swings, altered libido, psychosis, and the mental addiction to steroids.

The principal effects are physical effects. The outcome can end up in:

• Cancer

• Liver Damage

• Feminizing effects in males

• Male attributes in females (deepening of voice, excessive hair growth)

• Enlarged clitoris

• Shrunken testicles

• Limb loss

• Heart disease/heart attacks

• Physical addiction

• HIV/AIDS from the sharing of needles

• Reduced sperm count

• Impotence

• Infertility

• Baldness

• Pain and difficulty urinating

• Enlarged prostate

• Baldness

• Smaller Breast in women

• Menstrual cycle stops

• Adolescents experience premature closure of the growth plates

After realizing all of these effects, athletes still insist to use illegal steroids. Recently, numerous players in the MLB including Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi,

Gary Sheffield, Benito Santiago, and Marvin Benard were accused of taking illegal performance enhancers from BALCO. These accusations have forced the MLB to have players take mandatory drug tests.

The last and worst effect of steroids is death. Although it may not be frequent, it is still a possibility if steroids persist to be taken. Just last year, Major League Baseball player Steve Bechler died on the field from a heatstroke caused by Ephedrine. To this day, 155 deaths have been linked to Ephedrine and it since has been banned from

sports and the sale of Ephedrine in the US has been made illegal.

Your in luck! I just did a paper about 1 month ago for my health class. I did a paper and power point presentation. I got an A. Here it is:

If your highschool is anything like mine, saying 'shrunken testicles' got hours of laughs out of your audience.