Another Thought

LDF

ricky henderson is still available and may come cheap, it will make a great cf'er and leadoff hitter. any thoughts?

rickey is a real peckerhead though...plus at his age i have shades of '01 harold baines running through my head...if we dont feel rowand is the answer cant we find a better option then this dickhead???

1. Dunston, Shawon OF SF --- --- ---

2. Gant, Ron OF SD --- --- ---

5. Knoblauch, Chuck OF KC --- --- ---

6. Lankford, Ray OF SD --- --- ---

8. Lofton, Kenny OF SF --- --- ---

11. Sanders, Reggie OF SF --- --- ---

Sanders would be sweet. Especially his power...woah.

Sanders doesn't play CF. Plus, he's made of balsa wood, so you'd have to plan on your backup CF playing at least 60 games a year anyways.

I keep getting this feeling about Knoblauch. Ex .350 hitter, 3X? World Series winner and Gold-Glover goes to NY, gets in a rut, and is driven into the depths of hell by NY fans and media, then goes to KC. He sleepwalks through a year on a AA team (still talkin 'bout KC) and becomes an afterthought. Couldn't this guy very easily have one great season left in him? Is everyone THAT convinced that Jimenez is your answer at 2B/leadoff hitter? Since Rogers told us no, and there aren't any FA pitchers left worth spending a dime on, might it not be worth giving him a shot?

Interesting thought he was a good lead off hitter at one time and we defintely need a leadoff hitter. However he was a pretty bad 2nd for the Yanks the last 2 years he played the position. He still might be worth a chance. He could play a little 2B,OF,DH, pinch hit and pinch run.

Interesting thought he was a good lead off hitter at one time and we defintely need a leadoff hitter. However he was a pretty bad 2nd for the Yanks the last 2 years he played the position. He still might be worth a chance. He could play a little 2B,OF,DH, pinch hit and pinch run.

i wouldnt mind knoblauch but never as a 2nd baseman...it would be too risky with his past throwing problems....but knoublauch was always considered the ultimate ballplayer's ballplayer...a great team guy that would do anything to win...his leadership could serve our clubhouse well...i just dont know where we would play him...he turned into a hell of a LF....but i dont think he could play CF..atleast not better than rowand...interesting thought..would look good on bench next to daubach...then we could dump rios who im really not a fan of

Out of all those guys, if the Sox actually needed another outfielder, I'd take Dunston. i think he's a really good veteran that can play any of the outfield positions, although I don't think he'd be too pretty out there in center.

Either way, the Sox aren't going to sign another outfielder.

Knoblauch?????????????  Are you f***ing crazy?

Sure, why not? At worst, you get a backup who can play 2B, or any of the outfield positions, run the bases, bunt(the Sox have had the worst bunting in either league since 1937, I will not argue about this), and has a lot of playoff experience. Plus he comes real cheap.

At best, he hits .320, you get an experienced guy at the top of the order, and he plays a decent 2B.

I'm not saying I'm sold on the fact that he has anything left, just think it's worth the risk.

Knobby is definately a solid veteran, but he's weak defensively anywhere you play him. I like the fact that he's a good base runner so I'd be willing to invite him to spring training as a special assistant or something, but I'll take Willie Harris who can play really good defense coming off the bench and is a pretty good bunter and base-stealer himself.

Knobby is definately a solid veteran, but he's weak defensively anywhere you play him.

He won a Gold Glove at 2B in 1997, or 1996.

NY killed him, and nobody gave him a chance to redeem himself. KC never used him at 2B, did they?

Nope and thats because he no longer can control his arm. I also think he struggled to hit .220 in Kansas City, but I could be wrong. I know he started off the season struggling to hit his weight.

6 or 7 years ago is a long time.

You think Kenny Lofton cooled of after May last year? Knob Gobbler is not any good and neither is anybody on that list. I've been calling Rowand horses*** for a while now, but what is he our #8 or 9 hitter, who gives a crap if he isn't that good, so long as he can play average defence(and I believe he can because he gets a jump and hustles to balls other don't) that's all we need. :huh: CF isn't really a hole, if it's our #9 hitter.

Guest hotsoxchick1

my goodness what does everyone have against rowand already.. the freakin season hasnt even started yet and you all pulling him out of cf already........lay off the kid and see what he does come spring training... he will be ok..........

As a starter Rowand has been good. He looked good before Lofton came over and then he looked good again last last season. I really got a good feeling on Rowand. If he improves his walk ratio, he'll really be good. I think he will draw more walks this year. He seems to really be learning the strike zone, although I don't have stats to back that up, just what I've noticed from watching him. I see him lay off a lot more stuff now then he used to.

Guest hotsoxchick1

gotta tell ya when i saw knobbys name tossed around here all i could think of was watch out fans....lol....sorry but i do not even consider him an option here........ill stick with rowand and wait till joeyb is ready to pop up.........

gotta tell ya when i saw knobbys name tossed around here all i could think of was watch out fans....lol....sorry but i do not even consider him an option here........ill stick with rowand and wait till joeyb is ready to pop up.........

Finally - someone who gets it!