Sox Send Down Wright, Call Up Burke

Heads22

http://www.futuresox.com/modules.php?op=mo...order=0&thold=0

By Alex Ernst

In a move just after Saturday's doubleheader, it was announced that the Sox have demoted pitcher Dan Wright and have called up Jamie Burke. Wright is coming off yet another disappointing performance in game 2 of the doubleheader, while Burke is hitting .227 with one homer and eight RBI in Charlotte. He was one of the last cuts in Spring Training.

Burke played mainly first base for the Knights after spending most of his career as a catcher. Burke can also play third base. This leaves the Knights with only Ryan Hankins at catcher. Hankins is a converted third baseman who is spending his first full year catching.

FutureSox Take:

While giving the Sox more flexibility while not needing a fifth starter for some time, this does complicate the Knights infield situation. At this point they have shifted Bobby Smith to first bsae. When the Sox do need a fifth starter, look for them to give Felix Diaz a long look if they decide to not use Neal Cotts in the rotation. Also, look for another move to alleviate the catching situation at Charlotte.

if they decide to not use Neal Cotts in the rotation

since Cotts gave up a few runs tonight when we were trying to get back into the game, does that hurt Cotts' chances of being #5?

Just asking everyone's thoughts...

since Cotts gave up a few runs tonight when we were trying to get back into the game, does that hurt Cotts' chances of being #5?

i dont think so because coming into the game he had pitched over 10 innings while only giving up 1 run. Pitchers are going to give up runs. IMO, he's been very good this year

Who else can you use besides Cotts? Adkins? :o

Since we are coming to stretch where we will not need a 5th starter, my guess is if Danny pitches wright and not wrong, he may be recalled when we need a 5th starter. This keeps him pitching and staying "on days". A telling tale will be how well his starts mirror the ML rotation.

My take is to keep Cotts in the pen, he seems to be doing well there, take away last night. I would rather ease him into rotation next year. I think kids benefit when they progess in the setup role first before starting. Let Rauch or Grilli or Diaz start when we need a fifth, tho I would like to see Diaz handled like Cotts, tho as Rex pointed out on the other board, maybe Diaz is more of a veteren to not need to be handled like Cotts.

My take is to keep Cotts in the pen, he seems to be doing well there, take away last night. I would rather ease him into rotation next year. I think kids benefit when they progess in the setup role first before starting. Let Rauch or Grilli or Diaz start when we need a fifth, tho I would like to see Diaz handled like Cotts, tho as Rex pointed out on the other board, maybe Diaz is more of a veteren to not need to be handled like Cotts.

Great, thanks for quoting me MSF. Now, when Diaz bombs, I am going to look like an idiot on TWO boards! ;)