AGONE

Alex Gonzalez has a broken wrist.

WWW.CHICAGOSPORTS.COM

Cubs shortstop Alex Gonzalez has a broken bone in his right wrist and could miss six weeks, the latest injury setback for the Cubs.

Gonzalez was hurt in the seventh inning of Wednesday night's 2-0 loss to the Arizona Diamondbacks when he was struck by the ball on a pitch from Mike Koplove.

Home plate umpire Charlie Reliford ruled that Gonzalez fouled the pitch, and after a brief argument, he resumed his at-bat before striking out.

"We couldn't tell, the umpire couldn't tell, nobody could tell except Alex," Cubs manager Dusty Baker said.

"He didn't argue very emphatically. ... Usually when you are hit like that, you show a lot more emotion. You show the umpire the mark."

Gonzalez then played the top of the eighth inning, fielded a grounder and threw out the runner before leaving the game.

Gonzalez has a non-displaced fracture, meaning surgery won't be needed. He has already been fitted in a cast that he will wear for at least three weeks. The Cubs will make a roster move Sunday.

Chicago is already without starting second baseman Mark Grudzielanek, who's been on the disabled list since April 10 with a partial tear of his right Achilles' tendon. Pitchers Mark Prior (Achilles' tendon) and Mike Remlinger (shoulder) have been on the disabled list all season.

Ramon Martinez will fill in at shortstop for the Cubs. Gonzalez was batting .244 with three homers and seven RBIs.

I am thinking that both of them sound like they have bigger ceilings than any of our pitchers.

Maybe we could give tham back Kessinger, I hear he's staying in shape. :lol:

I really don't like trading with the Cubs.

How about Jose for two of their young pitchers?  Say Guzman and Sisco?

Does Hendry have "rape me while my guitar gently weeps" tattooed on his forehead?

Cubs have enough talent to win 95+ games, and Martinez is a perfectly serviceable role player, certainly as good as Gonzo has been so far this year.

The only way they're giving up Sisco Tech and Guzman is for Tim Hudson if Mark Prior ends up done for the year, which is unlikely.

How about Jose for two of their young pitchers?  Say Guzman and Sisco?

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

I hope you were kidding SS2k4. Those are their two most talked about prospects. I wouldn't mind taking a lesser known prospect in their organization though. (Vazquez, Rinto[sp?])