May 8 2004: The Hot List

Chisoxfn

May 8 2004: The Hot List

By Mike Doyle

May 8, 2004

FutureSox.com

The Hot List is a bi-weekly report on the hottest players throughout the White Sox organization. Unlike the Top 50 list, the Hot List is based solely on stats and does not incorporate age or prospect status in any of the rankings. Because the Hot List will appear every two weeks, rankings are very volatile and will change often.

1) Brian Anderson – OF – Winston-Salem Warthogs

20-50 .400 BA 8 2B 1 3B 2 HR 12 RBI 7 BB .720 SLG%

The first player at Winston-Salem to break out, Brian Anderson did it in a huge way. Highlight of the past two weeks was a game in which Anderson went 4-5 with 2 HRs and 5 RBIs. Average now stands above .300.

2) Arnie Munoz – LHP – Birmingham Barons

12.1 IP 5 H 2 ER 4 BB 15 SO ERA 1.46

Munoz came within several outs of a no-hitter, but settled on a one-hitter through 8 innings. Followed up his spectacular performance with a solid outing, only giving up 1 ER in 5+ IP.

3) Felix Diaz – RHP – Charlotte Knights

20.2 IP 19 H 3 ER 2 BB 16 SO ERA 1.30

Assuming Diaz has one more good start this week for Charlotte, the 5th starter’s spot on the South Side is all his.

4) Michael Spidale – OF – Birmingham Barons

17-44 .386 BA 8 2B 10 BB 5 RBI

Once in danger of being released, Spidale has been a huge offensive lift for the Barons.

5) Daniel Haigwood – LHP—Kannapolis Intimidators

18.2 IP 9 H 4 ER 7 BB 17 SO .86 WHIP 1.93 ERA

Two words: look out. Haigwood is now healthy and ready to ascend up the organizational ladder.

6) Brandon McCarthy – RHP – Kannapolis Intimidators

12 IP 6 H 2 ER 6 BB 10 SO 1.00 WHIP 1.50 ERA

Control became somewhat erratic for Brandon, but he has continued his solid start to the year.

7) Jeff Bajenaru – RHP – Birmingham Barons

5 IP 1 H 0 ER 0 BB 6 SO 0.20 WHIP

Not even fair. “Man Hands” is completely destroying opposing batters right now and has some of the best relief numbers throughout the minors.

8) David Cook – OF – Kannapolis Intimidators

7-18 .389 BA 3 HR 8 RBI .889 SLG%

A trip to extended spring training has seemed to set Cook on the right track. The above numbers are only reflective of 6 games.

9) Brad Murray – RHP – Winston-Salem Warthogs

9 IP 3 H 0 ER 2 BB 6 SO

Murray has teamed up with fellow righty Dwayne Pollok to become a force at the end of games for the Warthogs.

10) Brian Becker – DH – Winston-Salem Warthogs

15-50 .300 BA 5 HR 3 2B 8 BB 11 RBI .660 SLG%

Nothing-new here for Mr. Becker. Have rake, will use it.

11) Brian Miller – RHP – Kannapolis Intimidators

18 IP 19 H 4 ER 6 BB 15 SO 2.00 ERA

Miller has finally put together three very strong outings and is starting to show the stuff that made him one of the organization’s top pitching prospects.

12) Michael Morse – SS – Birmingham Barons

14-50 .280 BA 2 2B 2 3B 3 HR 11 RBI .580 SLG%

Morse continues to be a huge surprise at AA Birmingham, as he has slugged 7 homers already this year.

13) Thomas Brice – OF – Kannapolis Intimidators

12-42 .286 BA 3 2B 2 HR 7 RBI 4 BB .500 SLG%

Thomas Brice must have done something in the off-season because his power numbers compared to his career stats are mind-boggling. Mind sharing the secret with the rest of your team, Thomas?

14) Andy Gonzalez – IF – Winston-Salem Warthogs

13-46 .283 BA 11 BB 2 2B 4 HR 11 RBI

A very, very good sign for Gonzalez. I think I heard the Sox’ scouting director breathe a huge sigh of relief. Excellent plate discipline.

15) Casey Rogowski – 1B – Winston-Salem Warthogs

14-53 .264 BA 4 HR 5 2B 15 RBI 7 BB .585 SLG%

Joined in the Warthogs resurgence at the plate along with Brian Anderson. Surprising power numbers for Casey.

Brian McNichol watch!!!

Brian McNichol – LHP – Birmingham Barons

4 IP 5 BB 2 SO – Scoreless inning streak at 15 IP.

Brian is apparently pulling his best Ryan Meaux impersonation by not allowing an earned run through 15 innings. I say he reaches 18.2 IP.

Questions? Comments? Mistakes? See a player that I missed? If so, please e-mail me at mike@futuresox.com and title your e-mail “Hot List”. I’d be more than happy to answer your questions.

I know, it's a little higher than I'd like, but I guess it will do. ;)

SO Rex, do you think Baj has a chance to be a ML closer, a contributing ML bullpen guy, a ML long man, a AAAA type guy, or is he just overachieving right now, and will come back to earth soon?

SO Rex, do you think Baj has a chance to be a ML closer, a contributing ML bullpen guy, a ML long man, a AAAA type guy, or is he just overachieving right now, and will come back to earth soon?

My take on Bajenaru is that he is more likely a setup type guy.

John Sickels recently answered a question from the Mailbag on a Brewers farmhand named Ryan Miller. Although there are some differences in their style, I think you could almost substitute Bajenaru's name into his answer. Baj is probably a little more polished and thus might have a bit of a higher upside, hence my view of him as a setup guy. Funny thing is, I made comparisons between these two last year.

The key is, there are a lot of guys hanging around AA and AAA with Bajenaru and Miller's level of stuff and even to some degree their success, so good timing is as important as performance. If Baj keeps doing the job, he'll get a chance at some point, with the Sox or someone else.

Here is the Q&A from Sickels column on Miller. I don't think I could have answered it better myself.

Josh from Evansville, Ind., asks: Can you tell me anything about Ryan Miller. He's a Double-A pitcher in the Brewers' system. He has impressive K/nine innings and K/BB this year. He's a bit old (26), but does he have any shot at reaching the majors?

Sickels: I think Miller has a shot in the Show, yes, probably in middle relief. First the background.

The Brewers drafted Miller in 2000 in the ninth round from the University of Evansville. He tied for the Missouri Valley Conference lead with 10 wins that year, while leading the circuit outright with 126 strikeouts in 110 innings. His pro record is rather mixed, though he's maintained a good strikeout rate. This year, Miller has a 2.19 ERA through 12 innings at Double-A Huntsville, with an excellent 20/4 K/BB ratio. His fastball is in the 88-91 mph range, not wonderful for a right-hander. But he has a very good breaking ball, and has sharpened his command this year.

You're right about his age being a handicap for his status as a prospect. He'll need to show us he can survive in Triple-A before getting a shot at the Show either later this year or sometime in 2005. His strikeout rate is impressive, even though his fastball isn't that fast, which means he's doing something right. Basically, he's a middle relief sleeper. There are a dozen similar guys floating around Double-A and Triple-A in any given year. Time will tell whether Miller is one of the lucky ones who earns a pension.