Jonathan Aceves

KipWellsFan

I wasn't too familiar with all the minor leaguers until this past year, so I'm not sure on this guy. Was he one of the two catchers we signed during the offseason along with Burke? I thought he was, but I'm not sure on that.

I don't have a clue about his ability though.

Guest hotsoxchick1

damn i was too late........beat me to it rex......yeah guys this guy was on birminghams roster and didnt ever get much play time...........and speaking of catchers.... does anyone know whatever happened to that kid we took from joliet jackhammers???? ryan sienko??? where has he gone i cant seem to find his name on anyones roster lately.... did we get rid of him already?????

damn i was too late........beat me to it rex......yeah guys this guy was on birminghams roster and didnt ever get much play time...........and speaking of catchers.... does anyone know whatever happened to that kid we took from joliet jackhammers???? ryan sienko??? where has he gone i cant seem to find his name on anyones roster lately.... did we get rid of him already?????

I remember reading about his signing, and then not hearing another word about him the rest of the season. This organization can tend to be a black hole for catchers, so him just disappearing wouldn't surprise me too much :P

Guest hotsoxchick1

got your message rex... and delben.. yeah we signed him in early 2001??? or maybe late 2001.... i dont exactly remember....but i havent heard of him ever since and i cant find him on anyones roster so i was just curious if we got rid of him or what...........seems strange to me that he can just vanish like that.............

I found his stats from last year playing at Birmingham.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR TB RBI BB SO SB CS AVG

60 164 26 38 8 1 3 57 16 21 35 0 1 232.

Not too impressive. Probably just there too add some competition to other catchers. You never know when a player could bust out? :huh:

I think he's still in the lower levels, but I don't think he's ever going to amount to much other then a roster slot.

Burke is the one catcher still in our system that I am interested in seeing. Olivo is not in our system anymore right now and I hope we don't see him there again, because it will mean he's suceeding at the major league level :) :headbang

I remember reading about his signing, and then not hearing another word about him the rest of the season. This organization can tend to be a black hole for catchers, so him just disappearing wouldn't surprise me too much :P

I think every organization is a blackhole when it comes to catchers. Its just such a hard position. Mainly because its so physically demanding and they typically don't get as much credit or love as the big home run hitters and everyone else. Usually the best athletes get moved around too, and never find the catcher position because it will hurt them in the long run.

Also the fact that they have so much to work on makes it hard. Calling a game, blocking the plate, release point (Throwing guys out) and then the swing. Its a really tough job.