Baj's status

shoe

You know its just a matter of time, just wondering how long you thought it would be?

What are we speaking of here, a promotion to Chicago or to Charlotte...Personally, I'd rather keep him in Birmingham and let him work there...There's really no reason to bring him up to Charlotte in my opinion as I don't think he'd really benefit much from the jump from AA to AAA. I've never seen him pitch, but from what I've heard he's a solid prospect.

He sucks....... he is getting by on pure luck. He has no clue how to pitch and his fastball is puss. It's all smoke and mirrors with Baj and no talent. Sooner or later hitters in the Southern League are going to expose him and jack that ERA up to at least 2.00, if not 2.50!

He sucks....... he is getting by on pure luck.  He has no clue how to pitch and his fastball is puss.  It's all smoke and mirrors with Baj and no talent.  Sooner or later hitters in the Southern League are going to expose him and jack that ERA up to at least 2.00, if not 2.50!

Huh?

Hey Rex, Have you been drinking or are you just on drugs? Bajenaru's stats are outstanding and he beats the crap out of the closer in AAA and Billy Boch. I know you're just trying to raise a stink because from your other posts you're not as dumb as you appear in this one. So what do you really think?

He's just being sarcastic :lol: or at least I think he is.

Get him up to AAA cause he's not the type of prospect that will be promoted straight from AA to Chicago, imo. You see that with a really hyped prospect that was a top pick or really young, but rarely do you see it with older prospects.

I think he's definately got major league potential though.

He's just being sarcastic :lol: or at least I think he is.

Get him up to AAA cause he's not the type of prospect that will be promoted straight from AA to Chicago, imo.  You see that with a really hyped prospect that was a top pick or really young, but rarely do you see it with older prospects.

I think he's definately got major league potential though.

Let's if he can do it for 30 innings. 12+ is not enough.

Guest JimH

Rex, you da man, but you must learn how to use the green font! :D

Baj has been on a career upswing since early 2003, he's been consistently good since then. His elbow appears 100% recovered, and the results show.

The thing is, where do you put him?

I'd hate to see him traded, but the reality is he deserves a shot and it's certainly possible some other team will want him.

I have no inside information on it, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's included in a deal to fill another hole the Sox have.

What I'd like to see: bring him up and get his feet wet just as soon as somebody gets hurt or tired. Let's see if his success can continue at the major league level.

I doubt the Sox keep Koch after this year, Baj is a closer candidate in waiting.

Jim I agree with you completely. I would just hate to see the White Sox lose such a great live arm as Baj. I believe his stats will continue to get better and it will be impossible for many teams to pass him up.

Guest JimH

Shoe, I read in spring training that Baj is probably the hardest thrower in the organization, or close to it.

If I'm not mistaken Rex has commented similarly.

The guy is an obvious talent.

Williams has always said it takes 15-16 pitchers to get through a season, and we're sitting here on May 12th, so it's quite early.

I've always been guilty of being impatient and wanting to see some of these prospects in action with the big club. Maybe I need to just chill! :lol:

Interesting about Baj though ... he was a 36th round pick, a draft-and-follow.

Played for a college in Oklahoma (OK State?) and I remember reading that he wasn't just a pitcher, he played OF or something too.

Ya really love to see longshots make it, that's one reason why I'm rooting for him.

Plus, he is one of SoxTalk's own - :headbang

Alex, Jason ... I know you guys are busy and are doing great work - any chance of setting up a chat or maybe just a phone interview with Baj? There are several questions I'm sure lots of us would like to ask him.

Shoe, I read in spring training that Baj is probably the hardest thrower in the organization, or close to it.

If I'm not mistaken Rex has commented similarly.

The guy is an obvious talent.

Williams has always said it takes 15-16 pitchers to get through a season, and we're sitting here on May 12th, so it's quite early.

I've always been guilty of being impatient and wanting to see some of these prospects in action with the big club.  Maybe I need to just chill!  :lol:

Interesting about Baj though ... he was a 36th round pick, a draft-and-follow.

Played for a college in Oklahoma (OK State?) and I remember reading that he wasn't just a pitcher, he played OF or something too.

Ya really love to see longshots make it, that's one reason why I'm rooting for him.

Plus, he is one of SoxTalk's own -  :headbang

Alex, Jason ... I know you guys are busy and are doing great work - any chance of setting up a chat or maybe just a phone interview with Baj?  There are several questions I'm sure lots of us would like to ask him.

Baj is one guy we want to get in here next.

Let's if he can do it for 30 innings. 12+ is not enough.

He did it last year too Brando..... Here are his numbers from last year minus one single outing where he got shelled....

ERA 2.15

IP 62.2

H 46

BB 24

K 60

Before everyone starts crowing about not being able to subtract a bad performance, you need to know the circumstances behind this one. He gave up 8 earned runs in one inning last year on July 19. Under normal circumstances, he would have been lifted long before 8 runs scored because he clearly didn't have it that night. But the bullpen had been worn down and overworked and because the game was out of hand, Baj was left out there to "take one for the team". It obviously was not his best night, but you have to take this into account if you want to assess the true value of his 2003 season. It was clearly even more dominant than his numbers indicate.

Rex, you da man, but you must learn how to use the green font! 

Jim, sometimes I prefer a much more subtle form of sarcasm. The kind you have to figure out if I am serious or not. I think those that know me, knew something was up. Or at least they better have after this comment:

Sooner or later hitters in the Southern League are going to expose him and jack that ERA up to at least 2.00, if not 2.50!

I try and toss one comment in to make it obvious to those who know my style. :D

Alex, Jason ... I know you guys are busy and are doing great work - any chance of setting up a chat or maybe just a phone interview with Baj?  There are several questions I'm sure lots of us would like to ask him.

Looks like Heads is having him answer some questions...I am going to get with Jason soon and talk about a plan of action for the next month or so and figure out who I am going to talk with next...Right now the main name on my mind is Brian Anderson, but we'll see where that goes. There are several guys I'd love to talk with and I'm sure there's several guys that would give great interviews as well.

I think that its completely fair to discount one outing if it is such a statistical aberration to warrant it.

Also best case scenario what would you project him to be in the big leagues?

SB

In my mind, at this point, I see him as a setup guy. Developing into a closer is possible, but my guess is he could be a very good 7th or 8th inning guy.

Rex, I thought I caught a hint of sarcasm there. Even though I believe Baj has the potential to post numbers much better than a 2.0 for the remainder of the season, there are many teams who would kill for a guy who at is worst has a 2.0 ERA.

Sooner or later hitters in the Southern League are going to expose him and jack that ERA up to at least 2.00, if not 2.50!

See now that's not necessariy sarcasm.

1. I expect relievers pitching in B-ham to have ERA's no higher than 2.75. So if he would indeed finish with 2.50 ERA after an unbelivable start as you say, that means as far as I am concerned, AA hitters HAVE "figured him out".

2. That sissy fastball and "lucky" comment. I remember Royce Ring absolutely cruising, ERA-wise.....But in reality a 90mph fastball and that whole "giving up other peoiple's runs and generally dominating younger hitters" thing was the real reason, and soon reality caught up with ol' Ringmeister -- he's getting lit up in Mets AAA as we speak.

Since I haven't seen Baj pitch......Next time be more subtle is all. :lol:

See now that's not necessariy sarcasm.

1.  I expect relievers pitching in B-ham to have ERA's no higher than 2.75.  So if he would indeed finish with 2.50 ERA after an unbelivable start as you say, that means as far as I am concerned, AA hitters HAVE "figured him out".

2.  That sissy fastball and "lucky" comment. I remember Royce Ring absolutely cruising, ERA-wise.....But in reality a 90mph fastball and that whole "giving up other peoiple's runs and generally dominating younger hitters" thing was the real reason, and soon reality caught up with ol' Ringmeister -- he's getting lit up in Mets AAA as we speak.

Since I haven't seen Baj pitch......Next time be more subtle is all.  :lol:

so noted lol

Looks like Heads is having him answer some questions...I am going to get with Jason soon and talk about a plan of action for the next month or so and figure out who I am going to talk with next...Right now the main name on my mind is Brian Anderson, but we'll see where that goes.  There are several guys I'd love to talk with and I'm sure there's several guys that would give great interviews as well.

if possible, i think it'd be cool to get interviews with Arnie Munoz and Ruddy Yan too. Also, it'd be cool to see if BMac would do one of those chat seesions like Bullard. I remember he mentioned to someone that it could be a possibility sometime

I noticed the sarcasm btw Rex. You always joke about his dominance. A true sign of respect from you!

I think Baj could be a closer based on numbers only. Of course he is far from there, and, heck, with our bullpen I'll take anything the Sox can get. I'd like to see him pitch for another month or so. If he continues to dominate the Sox will have to make room for him in AAA. If he only pitches with an ERA of 2.0 or something the rest of the way then they can keep him there until the Sox make some deals around the deadline giving away prospects (hopefully). I'm thinking after the trades there will have to be some room for him in AAA. Next year in ST he should/could be competing for a spot on the team if he gets to pitch in AAA this year and does even average.