soxfan420

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALLELUJAH!

AMEN!

PRAISE THE LORD!

I have silently agreed with you for a year, 420! I love Willie's Speed, and he plays a great field, reminds me of Ray Durham a little. I also think he has great range in the position, and I don't think Dang is that exciting of a player. I dunno I'll admit besides WS games from last year, I haven't seen a lot of him, but Willie just grabs me more.

ALLELUJAH!

AMEN!

PRAISE THE LORD!

I have silently agreed with you for a year, 420! I love Willie's Speed, and he plays a great field, reminds me of Ray Durham a little. I also think he has great range in the position, and I don't think Dang is that exciting of a player. I dunno I'll admit besides WS games from last year, I haven't seen a lot of him, but Willie just grabs me more.

A player doesn't have to be exciting to be effective.

Jim (BigHurt4Evah), I've known you since I was five, but I will have to disagree with you here. I do agree with SoxHeads, however, in the fact that Willie does sound like an inviting player to have playing second, but D'Angelo has had more experience, also has speed, and plays good at the position. Willie may be exciting, and I like exciting players, but a player cannot win a starting role on his level of excitement alone.

i know at soxfest that KW was talking up willie harris..said he had a great winter ball season...plus willie and jose valentin were on the same team in puerto rico..which means they were the DP combo and got to work alot together....if d'angelo struggles and willie has a good spring...it could happen...for a team thats suppose to serious contenders we sure have a lot of uncertianty..cant wait till we get going! ! !

Sorry for bringing up an old subject once again, but if we hadnt traded ray and kenny our lineup would be something like this.....

CF Lofton

2B Durham

DH Thomas

RF Maggs

1B Konerko

LF Carlos

SS Valentin

3B Crede

C Olivo

What could have been.......

Kenny was sucking it up after his excellent start, and Ray was in the last year of his contract, and would not have been re-signed by the Sox (the Giants are paying him way more than the Sox could afford). So basically, we've got Aaron Rowand and Bartolo Colon (we're paying him with the money Ray WOULD have got with us) instead of an old Kenny Lofton and Ray Durham. I like where we are MUCH better.

i would love to see him make 2nd base. i love his speed. think if he learned to walk more and strike out less and hit for .275 i would take him at leadoff man. and he would be one of the best leadoff hitters with his speed.

Those are some mighty big "if's" about Harris. From what I've seen of him, I don't think he could hit .230 and he doesn't walk at all. Of course, he's young and doesn't have much experience so he might improve, but I'd be shocked if he ever became as good of a hitter as D'Angelo will be. Nonetheless, unless Hummell gets back on track this year, we'll likely see D'Angelo at SS and Harris at 2B in '04.

Jim (BigHurt4Evah), I've known you since I was five, but I will have to disagree with you here. I do agree with SoxHeads, however, in the fact that Willie does sound like an inviting player to have playing second, but D'Angelo has had more experience, also has speed, and plays good at the position. Willie may be exciting, and I like exciting players, but a player cannot win a starting role on his level of excitement alone.

If Harris is playing 2nd then I hope Jimenez is at short. Right now Harris isn't ready to get a high obp. He doesn't draw enough walks and until he does and proves at the major league level that he can be a leadoff hitter, then I want the young and talented Jimenez out there. Jimenez also had a great winter league.

D'Angelo should be able to develop into a guy that could get a .400 obp at the top of the lineup which is sweet. I like Harris a lot, but he's got a lot to prove. He could be starting at 2nd in a year.

I think this matchup in spring training has been overlooked. The job is Jiminez's to lose, but if Willie shows he can outplay D'angelo, then he should start. Ahhh, I met Willie once, great guy, great guy.......

How about if Willie proves it then he takes over for Rowand, which is another possibility. That way the Sox could have Jimenez and Manos at the top of the lineup and eventually Jimenez and Harris with Manos moving back in the lineup.

i know at soxfest that KW was talking up willie harris..said he had a great winter ball season...plus willie and jose valentin were on the same team in puerto rico..which means they were the DP combo and got to work alot together....if d'angelo struggles and willie has a good spring...it could happen...for a team thats suppose to serious contenders we sure have a lot of uncertianty..cant wait till we get going! ! !

Sometimes uncertainty is a good thing, at least I think so. It makes for a better ST. Players have to battle for postions instead of coming in and going through a routine before the season begins.

Sometimes uncertainty is a good thing, at least I think so. It makes for a better ST. Players have to battle for postions instead of coming in and going through a routine before the season begins.

thats funny you said that..paul konerko at soxfest said the exact opposite...he said now that these guys know they have a job they can come i nand get their work in , prepare for the season , and not feel like they have to run through walls on every play..they should be more relaxed and ready to start the season..

now manuel said exactly what you just said....guess its a different perspective

The question is who do you trust more. These guys are definately more prepared after seeing the big show and such. Hopefully they all come out and play great. There are definately question marks but every team has those and if the Sox players step up then they will make the World Series, we'll have to wait and see. Either way this is going to be a fun season, TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!

Were gonna win it all :headbang

Sorry for bringing up an old subject once again, but if we hadnt traded ray and kenny our lineup would be something like this.....

CF Lofton

2B Durham

DH Thomas

RF Maggs

1B Konerko

LF Carlos

SS Valentin

3B Crede

C Olivo

What could have been.......

if we hadn't traded Lofton and Durham then I'd be screaming to trade them now - one month out of 4 doesn't do it for for Lofton, and we needed new blood at 2nd

Guest hotsoxchick1
we needed new blood at 2nd

Well..... unless he finds his stick, it better not be Harris. Anyway, an "up the middle" of Jimenez/Harris, Valentin, and Rowand is one of the weakest in baseball..... the weakest being, IMHO, the sCrUBs.

cant argue that one killa... we are hurting when it comes up that middle line...........i dont trust any of them.......

If Harris is playing 2nd then I hope Jimenez is at short.

Um...If Harris is at 2nd, and Jimenez is at SS, where does Jose go? Are you going to platoon one of our most important players (if you think he's not the catalyst to this offense, you haven't seen much Sox ball)? If so, the results will not be as good as they would be if he played a full-time position full-time. Having Jose at SS, Crede at 3rd, and Jimenez at 2B is going to be our best lineup. If you want Harris in the lineup, put him in CF in place of Aaron. Harris has more speed anyway, and like everyone's been saying, "all he has to do" is find his stroke in the majors, and we'll have a nice player on our hands.

I'd like to see Harris play regularly... just as long as he beats someone else out of their job. If he can do that, then he is an improvement, whether it be 2B or CF. He's going to have to show a whole lot more than he did last year to beat out either Jiminez or Rowand.

How about if Willie proves it then he takes over for Rowand, which is another possibility.  That way the Sox could have Jimenez and Manos at the top of the lineup and eventually Jimenez and Harris with Manos moving back in the lineup.

What about Rowland having a great year and Harris playing 2nd and Jimenez taking over at shortstop since St. Jose will be gone after the seaon anyway and I am getting too old to take the strain on my heart of seeing 35-36 errors at short on all kinds of routine plays...

Um...If Harris is at 2nd, and Jimenez is at SS, where does Jose go?

He goes where ever he is going to go anyway after we don't resign him for the contract range that he will be in -

I suggest we trade him now because after he makes 35-36 more errors at short and if he hits what he hit last year (less than Clayton and you can look it up) and given his age and contract range, he will have no trade value. We might get something for him now.

Um...If Harris is at 2nd, and Jimenez is at SS, where does Jose go?

He goes where ever he is going to go anyway after we don't resign him for the contract range that he will be in -

I suggest we trade him now because after he makes 35-36 more errors at short and if he hits what he hit last year (less than Clayton and you can look it up) and given his age and contract range, he will have no trade value. We might get something for him now.

ill put the over under on jose errors this year at 24...i bet you he doesnt make more than 24 errors this year

from an earlier post in this thread...you would be screaming to trade ray durham now????...lofton yes but durham???...i rate ray as one of the top 5 2nd baseman in baseball right now...why trade him??

i would love to see him make 2nd base. i love his speed. think if he learned to walk more and strike out less and hit for .275 i would take him at leadoff man. and he would be one of the best leadoff hitters with his speed.

Those are some mighty big "if's" about Harris. From what I've seen of him, I don't think he could hit .230 and he doesn't walk at all. Of course, he's young and doesn't have much experience so he might improve, but I'd be shocked if he ever became as good of a hitter as D'Angelo will be. Nonetheless, unless Hummell gets back on track this year, we'll likely see D'Angelo at SS and Harris at 2B in '04.

i wouldnt mind seeing that in 03 myslef