An Early Prediction

Chisoxfn

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you on Fields dasox24, I would LOVE to see the sox pick him up. Hopefully he won't be a tough sign because of his football career, but the guy is one of the top bats in college and plays third.

As much as Szymanski may be good (OF from Princeton projected as our pick in BA's mock draft) I'd much rather have a stud at 3B than a stud in the OF. OF's are a dime a dozen, plus we're already stacked there.

Fields is the man and will probably be there when we pick...I just hope we pick him.

I agree with you on Fields dasox24, I would LOVE to see the sox pick him up. Hopefully he won't be a tough sign because of his football career, but the guy is one of the top bats in college and plays third.

As much as Szymanski may be good (OF from Princeton projected as our pick in BA's mock draft) I'd much rather have a stud at 3B than a stud in the OF. OF's are a dime a dozen, plus we're already stacked there.

Fields is the man and will probably be there when we pick...I just hope we pick him.

I don't know, typically 3rd baseman aren't looked at as highly as say an outfielder who is a heck of an athlete.

I'd say you'd go with best upside if both are on the table instead of organizational need and a very talented outfielder will typically fetch you more then a very good 3rd baseman, because in general, you can move a bigger, slower type guy to 3rd base and as long as he has a strong arm and good reflexes he could be a decent 3rd baseman.

I know 3rd baseman are starting to become better athletes now adays, but if Bobby Bonilla can play 3rd, anyone can :lol:

However, you won't here a complaint out of me if they got Fields. I'm still high on Schnur though, not that I'm implying the Sox shouldn't draft Fields because of him. I never believe a team should not draft a player because they have a good prospect already at that position.

You never know who and what your needs will be when the player develops, there for I always think you should go with the best possible player in your scouts eyes.

Another good thing about Fields is that he doesnt' have a big ego and is pretty modest, and he is very disciplined and has a very good work ethic.

Two guys that we could look at with our supp. picks or 2nd round picks are Micah Owings, a 1B from Georgia Tech, and Eric Patterson (brother of Corey), a 2B from Georgia Tech. Both of these guys might fall some because of their slow starts at the beginning of the year.

And lastly, thinking of the draft and Georgia Tech, Wes Hodges is having a good year and is learning a new position, 3B (he was a high school SS). For those of you that don't know, Hodges was our 13th round pick last year, but elected to attend Georgia Tech instead of sign with us.

If I recall Hodges broke his wrist or something along those lines and learned to hit the other way.

He's a heck of a player and will probably be a 1st round pick when he's eligible again.

I do like Patterson, but I still wonder if he'll slide into the supplementary rounds. The kid has so much upside.