Smarty Jones

Who thinks he will win it tomorrow?

I am going to the race with a friend tomorrow. We are going to stand in the rain with 120,000 people, and hopefully we will see a triple crown. Unfortunately I can't bet, so all the other races before the big one will bore me.

It's Seabiscuit all over again.

I hope he wins, it's a wonderful story. Horse almost dies, goes undefeated. No one thinks he can win the Derby because it's muddy and he has a s***ty sire and dam. Wins it. No one thinks he can win the Preakness. It's a fluke. Wins it. And suddenly, he's a god.

I hope he does.

Here is my story of the Belmont

The first race started at noon. My friend and I got there at 10 to stake out a spot. We start betting on the races, we won one, lost the rest. We had a little money on Smarty Jones, but we decided to choose a back up horse...I only had $5 left to spend. While looking at their times in previous races my friend notices that a horse named Birdstone has an identical time.

Long story short, my 5 dollars turned into 200. :headbang \

So I can't say I am too pissed that smarty lost :lol:

Here is my story of the Belmont

The first race started at noon.  My friend and I got there at 10 to stake out a spot.  We start betting on the races, we won one, lost the rest.  We had a little money on Smarty Jones, but we decided to choose a back up horse...I only had $5 left to spend.  While looking at their times in previous races my friend notices that a horse named Birdstone has an identical time. 

Long story short, my 5 dollars turned into 200. :headbang \

So I can't say I am too pissed that smarty lost :lol:

Very nice man. I figured that'd probably be the smarter thing to do because I don't understand how horse betting works....But could you really make that much money if Smarty Jones did win it? Since the whole world was betting on him.

If he would have bet his 5 on Smarty and Smarty won, he would have won about 5.20 lol. WOHOO. You always have to win more than you bet, but Smarty's odds were so good that you wouldn't win much over your bet. I usually go with somewhat longshots to make it worth my while whenever I make it out to a track sometime. Like if the horse is 35-1 or 40-1 then a 5 dollar bet would turn into around $200. 5 X 40 = 200 etc etc. You usually make a little more than the odds, so his horse was probably 35-1.