I don't understand this trade AT ALL

The Critic

Avalanche trades Chris Drury and Stephane Yelle to Flames for Derek Morris, Dean McAmmond and Jeff Shantz.

Why couldn't the Hawks have gotten 2 good young players for McAmmond and Shantz??? They could've thrown in a defenseman!!

Drury and Yelle are young and talented, and McAmmond and Shantz are no longer that young, and NOT all that talented.

Could Derek Morris possibly be good enough to make this trade look good for Colorado???

Originally posted by The Critic

Avalanche trades Chris Drury and Stephane Yelle to Flames for Derek Morris, Dean McAmmond and Jeff Shantz.

Why couldn't the Hawks have gotten 2 good young players for McAmmond and Shantz??? They could've thrown in a defenseman!!

Drury and Yelle are young and talented, and McAmmond and Shantz are no longer that young, and NOT all that talented.

Could Derek Morris possibly be good enough to make this trade look good for Colorado???

i don't think so and obvious the hawks gm is not so good in judging talent. look at what he got for the buf trade several yrs ago.

THERE HAVE BEEN A LOT OF BLACKHAWK TRADES THAT BURNED ME UP.

TRADING BELFOUR FOR ULF DAHLEN, TRADING BRIAN MC CABE, DEAN MC CAMMOND, JEREMY ROENICK, & THAT'S NOT INCLUDING ALL THE GREAT PLAYERS WE LET GO JUST FOR MONEY CONCERNS.

I f***ING HATE BILL WIRTZ!!!

The Flames traded McCammond (who played on their first line), their best defenseman by far and a guy who is a natural goal scorer, though I think he whines more than he'll ever score, for Drury who played like s*** for too much of the season last year and a guy who played on Colorado's 3 or 4th line. Defence is far harder to aquire than offence and Calgary didn't get significantly better in this trade. I think it helps both teams Drury is locked up at a better Calgary price and the Avs can pay one of the best young defenceman in the game whatever they need to.

Originally posted by Mathew

The Flames traded McCammond (who played on their first line), their best defenseman by far and a guy who is a natural goal scorer, though I think he whines more than he'll ever score, for Drury who played like s*** for too much of the season last year and a guy who played on Colorado's 3 or 4th line.  Defence is far harder to aquire than offence and Calgary didn't get significantly better in this trade.  I think it helps both teams Drury is locked up at a better Calgary price and the Avs can pay one of the best young defenceman in the game whatever they need to.

Retarded post to say the least. McCammond sucks, he played on the same line as Iginla, it is no wonder he had the best season of his career. He has little skill, he is a 3rd line checking winger. Shantz was dumped, freed up over a mil in salary for a worthless player.

Drury was rookie of the year, he has so much potential its sick. There is so much skill there and you know it when you see how many highlight reel goals he pulls off. He has been a little inconsistent, but there is no denying he has extreme talent and plays the game tough. He'll be out there with Iginla and he will have a career year, book it. Yelle is gritty and will help with the checking lines, but getting him for McCammond is a wash.

As for Morris, he is a solid offensive defenseman, but he hasn't lived up to his name yet. To say Calgary has no other solid players on D is just stupid because you obviously know nothing about the Flames. The Flames would go no where without support for Iginla, very smart move to get them going in the right direction.

Yeah, Calgary has great defence, what place they come in again? Correct me if I'm wrong 24 in team defence? McCammond had how many goals last year? 21. Drury 21 hmmm.(never scored more than 24.) I give than Mcammond isn't worth much but do you think Calgary has replaced their best defenceman and a 20 goal scorer, not to mention the throw in Shantz with enough to improve the team? Drury will score 25 goals 60 pts at most. Leaving Calgary with Jordan Leopold(rookie) as their best hope to move the puck up. A big hard hitting defence yes, skill, speed and talent not so much. I saw prolly a dozen games live in Calgary last year to call me retarded for questioning whether Calgary has improved is f***ing retarded.

I think what Calgary is thinking is that they need to add weapons to the offense, which McAmmond and Shantz CLEARLY are not. Drury and Yelle will definitely have bigger roles for the Flames than they had for Colorado, and the thinking ( hope? ) is that bigger roles = bigger production. The Flames need offensive help ( 2.45 GFA last year, 2.68 GAA ), so if this works out like they hope, it addresses that need.

I think that Calgery got two good players and lost one good player and, regardless of position, I would make a 2-for-1 deal every time, IF you're a team with little depth ( as Calgary is ).

Originally posted by Mathew

Yeah, Calgary has great defence, what place they come in again?  Correct me if I'm wrong 24 in team defence?  McCammond had how many goals last year? 21. Drury 21 hmmm.(never scored more than 24.)  I give than Mcammond isn't worth much but do you think Calgary has replaced their best defenceman and a 20 goal scorer, not to mention the throw in Shantz with enough to improve the team?  Drury will score 25 goals 60 pts at most.  Leaving Calgary with Jordan Leopold(rookie) as their best hope to move the puck up.  A big hard hitting defence yes, skill, speed and talent not so much.  I saw prolly a dozen games live in Calgary last year to call me retarded for questioning whether Calgary has improved is f***ing retarded.

Haha, good to know you have a little knowledge on the subject. Firstly, I was just starting s*** cause its fun. Second, I still think you overrate McCammond. In terms of natural scoring ability and natural skill, Drury is by far the best one in the deal. Regher, Lydman, Leopold, and Gauthier are all going to get better as time goes on. Morris was supposed to be one of the cornerstones to the franchise, but he hasn't shown it yet. Drury is going to have a much bigger role in Calgary and I think he will put up much bigger numbers. Yelle is solid and reminds me of Conroy who panned out very well for the Flames. They saved money, picked up a big scoring punch with a lot of versatility, and a great penalty killer and hard worker for Morris. I just don't see McCammond or Shantz getting enough ice time to be very productive in Colorado.

Originally posted by LDF

mike nylander is hurt, damn the injury bug is now hitting the hawks. but i am happy in seeing vorb play. 

almost ANY injury is devastating to the Hawks, because they have NO depth at any position. Any word on what the injury is, and if he'll miss any regular season games?

almost ANY injury is devastating to the Hawks, because they have NO depth at any position. Any word on what the injury is, and if he'll miss any regular season games?

Not serious...

Nylander's preseason has been a bigger concern. He has played in just one of six games, though he did skate with eight other players during a one-hour workout Tuesday in Bensenville.

"First it was his sore groin; now it's a sore head,'' Sutter said. "But I don't lose any sleep over it.''

Nylander was hit in the head by a puck during practice, which means 20-year-old Mikhail Yakubov will be the only center to play in each of the last three preseason games. The last two are Friday at St. Louis and Saturday at Detroit.

Haha, good to know you have a little knowledge on the subject. Firstly, I was just starting s*** cause its fun. Second, I still think you overrate McCammond. In terms of natural scoring ability and natural skill, Drury is by far the best one in the deal. Regher, Lydman, Leopold, and Gauthier are all going to get better as time goes on. Morris was supposed to be one of the cornerstones to the franchise, but he hasn't shown it yet. Drury is going to have a much bigger role in Calgary and I think he will put up much bigger numbers. Yelle is solid and reminds me of Conroy who panned out very well for the Flames. They saved money, picked up a big scoring punch with a lot of versatility, and a great penalty killer and hard worker for Morris. I just don't see McCammond or Shantz getting enough ice time to be very productive in Colorado.

Thank you for the compliment, McCammond has almost zero finish(if he did I think he would have had 35 goals, the way Iginla set him up all the time) he won't do crap in Colorado and doesn't need to 15 goals would be a bonus for them. Calgary however, has a severe shortage of defencemen who can move the puck up well too many of their attacks are set up by forwards, such a reliance on low support is prohibitive when they need to exploit some slower teams.(bear in mind this is only my observation and I don't profess to be a hockey mind so who knows) I hope you're right and that Drury gives them two lines with scoring threat. I hate Vancouver and Phoenix and if the defence steps up as you believe, then Morris is in fact expendable and they improved their team a great deal. Unfortunately we will both have to wait untill April to say I told ya' so. Here's my predictions for the players involved...

Morris 9g 30a 30pts

McCammond 14g 30a 44pts(if he is healthy enough)

Drury 25g 40a 65pts

Yelle 8g 14a 22pts

Shantz f*** all 6g 9a maybe 50 games.

If Calgary can flip Savard(for a d-man) good on them.