big hurt is back in town

hi8is

Some reason Mark Grace was the only Cub I've ever respected.  Think he is a mans man.

Mark Grace as a player = decent stick, no power, NO speed, great glove

Mark Grace as a media whore = Gary Carter Version 2.0 aka The Moth

Mark Grace as an announcer = Ron Santo Jr.

I loved it that he got a ring the season after leaving that sorry ass team.

That season exposed Grace for the jealous ex-girlfriend he was.

He spent more time jabbing at the team he supposedly "loved" for a decade than he did enjoying his World Series win.

Dude

In 2002, Frank had 28 HR, 92 RBI, 0.362 OBP, 77 Runs scored, 88 walks and 0.472 SLG% after playing only in 148 games....yes, his average was down (0.252), but these #s are NOT sucking ass (remember he was coming off a horrific injury from 2001)

In 2001, he was injured so that does not count

In 1999, Frank hit 0.305, 0.414 OBP, 0.471 SLG%, 74 R, 77 RBI, 87 walks despite playing in only 135 games (due to ankle injury), had a 21 game hitting streak that year (career best), reached base safely in 115 out of the 135 games he played in....these #s are NOT sucking ass....yes his HR was down that year (15), but still he rebounded with 43 HRs in 2000

In 1998, Frank had 109 runs, 109 RBIs, 110 walks, 29 HRs, reached base 271 times (5th in the league that year)...so again despite hitting only 0.265 in average, these #s are NOT sucking ass

stats, schmats!!

:D

In 2002, Frank had 28 HR, 92 RBI, 0.362 OBP, 77 Runs scored, 88 walks and 0.472 SLG% after playing only in 148 games....yes, his average was down (0.252), but these #s are NOT sucking ass (remember he was coming off a horrific injury from 2001)

That's down for Frank Thomas. He averages an .834 OPS for Frank Thomas is awful...this is a guy who is 3rd on the active OPS list with an OPS of right around 1.000. 28 homers is below average, 92 RBi is below average. He was recovering from an injury, but that's besides the point. That is a below average season for Frank Thomas.

In 2001, he was injured so that does not count

Duh. ;)

In 1999, Frank hit 0.305, 0.414 OBP, 0.471 SLG%, 74 R, 77 RBI, 87 walks despite playing in only 135 games (due to ankle injury), had a 21 game hitting streak that year (career best), reached base safely in 115 out of the 135 games he played in....these #s are NOT sucking ass

OPS of .885? For a guy whose career OPS is around 1.000? That's like Bonds hitting 20 homers and only walking 100 times while striking out 80 times. If Barry Bonds hit 20 homers, it would be s***ty season for him. Guess what...1999 was a s***ty year for Frank Thomas. His 77 RBI was well below his career average, 74 runs were well below his career average, and his 15 homers was awful compared to his career average. He had a very down year in 1999.

In 1998, Frank had 109 runs, 109 RBIs, 110 walks, 29 HRs, reached base 271 times (5th in the league that year)...so again despite hitting only 0.265 in average, these #s are NOT sucking ass

May be not sucking ass. But they are not good. Consider Frank's career numbers, his career averages, and these are, for the most part, well below. His .861 OPS from 98 is, quite frankly, not that good(for Frank Thomas).

The numbers themselves do not suck. If Joe Crede could hit .260 30 110 with an .860 OPS, I would s*** my pants. It's who they are by compared to his career numbers that suck ass. Again, I'll use the Barry Bonds comparison...if Barry Bonds hit .280 25 70 OPS of .850, that would be considered a s***ty season. But if Royce Clayton hit .280 25 70 .850, he would have had MORE then a career year. Different standards for different players.

Frank has been a solid player his entire career, but has not been great his entire career. He had down years in 98 and 99(and down years is a nice term for sucking ass), was injured in 01, and had a down year in 02.

Mark Grace as a player = decent stick, no power, NO speed, great glove

I'd say that a career .303 average with nearly 2500 hits would warrant a better description of his "stick". It's not just merely "decent". I'd be more inclined to say "excellent". And how many gold gloves did he win?

Who was better? Keith Hernandez or Mark Grace? They belong in the "Not quite good enough for the hall of fame, but excellent players who will be remembered long after they're gone" bracket.

I'd say that a career .303 average with nearly 2500 hits would warrant a better description of his "stick".  It's not just merely "decent".  I'd be more inclined to say "excellent".  And how many gold gloves did he win?

Who was better?  Keith Hernandez or Mark Grace?  They belong in the "Not quite good enough for the hall of fame, but excellent players who will be remembered long after they're gone" bracket.

I second that.

Grace was a class act. He was a very good ballplayer who got tired of Sosa's crap and the Cubs shipped him out of town for it. After the career he had with the Cubs and for them to disrespect him like that, he deserved the right to take his shots at them. And I, for one, am glad he did. The "corked bat" in the dugout was a classic!

We disagree on The Moth, and that's fine.

But I'd submit that the view on Grace is slightly tainted by the fact that he turned on the Cubs. If Grace had done the exact same things as an ex-Sox, I don't think that it would be hilarious to many people here.