Baseball America Top 30 List?

Guest JimH

I just ordered the Baseball America 2003 Prospect Handbook but I'm wondering if anyone already has the book in hand ... I know the Top 10 Sox prospects from the BA web site but I'm wondering who Phil Rogers lists as #'s 11-30.

Thanks much for any help.

Its not out yet. I think it comes out sometime the next couple days. I already have my baseball prospectus, but am still waiting for the Baseball America.

Maybe I'm wrong, it could be out by now, I know it said sometime in March it was coming out.

Thanks. I thought they'd said late Feb. but who knows ... I'll wait for it to show up.

I bet guys like Brian Miller, Heath Phillips, and Jim Bullard get in the top 30.

It is out and I have seen it, I just don't have it to reprint it here.

Miller did make it (somewhere in the teens, I think)..

Phillips was in the mid-20's, I think. Can't remember if Bullard was on the list or not.

It included Andy Gonzalez, Pedro Lopez, Neal Cotts, Daniel Haigwood, Micah Schnurstein, Dennis Ulacia, Brian West and others. I saw it briefly Friday (someone else's copy) and that is all I can remember off the top of my head.

Bullard said in his post , he feels it is a big deal to be listed as a top 30 prospect, I still feel it not that big a deal, he may not remember some of these names but I sure do. Eddie Pearson, Scott Ruffcorn, Darryl Boston, Scott Christman, Russ Morman,Grady Hall, Jason Dellero, Kurt Brown, ALL 1st round picks of the CWS. Very few of top 30 will make a major contribution when it is all said and done. I do agree it is not an exact science, that is what I love is a late round pick that succeeds. I hope they all do well , but history says otherwise.

The Sox Top 30 according to BA. I don't have time to re-type all of the scouting reports, but here is the list.

1. JOe Borchard OF

2. Miguel Olivo C

3. Anthony Webster OF

4. Kris Honel RHP

5. Jon Rauch RHP

6. Corwin Malone LHP

7. Andy Gonzales SS

8. Felix Diaz RHP

9. Arnaldo Munoz LHP

10. Royce Ring LHP

11. Neal Cotts LHP

12. Micah Schnurstein 3B

13. Dave Sanders LHP

14. Ryan Wing LHP

15. Brian West RHP

16. Brian Miller RHP

17. Tim Hummel 2B/SS

18. Daniel Haigwood LHP

19. Pedro Lopez 2B

20. Jason Stumm RHP

21. Jeremy Reed OF

22. Josh Stewart LHP

23. Edwin Almonte RHP

24. Wyatt Allen RHP

25. Heath Phillips LHP

26. Josh Rupe RHP

27. Edwin Yan 2B

28. Dennis Ulacia LHP

29. Franklin Francisco RHP

30. Thomas Brice OF

More info from BA to chew on.....

In the 2002 Draft.....

Best Pro Debut - 3B Micah Schnurstein, OF Jeremy Reed

Best Athlete - 1B Eric Keefner, Jeremy Reed

Best Pure Hitter - Jeremy Reed, OF Thomas Brice

Best Raw Power - Eric Keefner, OF Seth Morris, 3B Edgar Varela,

(Draft and follow OF Tim Collaro has more pop than any of them)

Fastest Runner - Jeremy Reed (6.75 60-yrd dash)

Best Defensive Player - Schnurstein or Reed

Best Fastball - RHP Todd Deininger (91-94 with sink), RHP Rick Hummel

(touches 96, but not as lively or consistent)

Best Breaking Ball - LHP Royce Ring, RHP Josh Rupe

Most Intriguing Background - LHP Daniel Haigwood (43-1 in HS)

Closest to Majors - Royce Ring

Best Late-Round Pick - Daniel Haigwood

The One Who Got Away - SS Chris Geltz (went to Wake Forest)

Assessment: The White Sox have drafted conservatively since signing Joe Borchard for $5.3M in 2000. They targeted pitching, using 11 of their first 14 picks on arms, but may have uncovered hidden gems in Schnurstein, Haigwood and Brice.

Rating Past Drafts:

2001 (B+) - Honel, Gonzalez, Webster, Wing

2000 (B ) - Borchard, Hummel

1999 (A) - Stumm, Ginter, West, Wright, Rauch,

Stewart, Sanders, Ulacia, Malone, Guerrier, Valentine

1998 (A) - Buehrle, K. Wells, Fogg, Rowand

Rex, thanks for posting this.

Surprises ... Schnurstein is up there that high on the list. Kind of unique for an 18-yr. old. I know he had a great pro debut, but it was only rookie ball. It'll be interesting to see how he does.

Dropping off last years list (still eligible) were Casey Rogowski, Kyle Kane, Mitch Wylie, Guillermo Reyes, Charlie Lisk, Mario Valenzuela, Brian Sager, and Aaron Kirkland. All but Reyes, Lisk, and Kirkland had injury troubles last year.

Kane, Valenzuela, and Wylie are approaching the point of getting a bit long in the tooth for a prospect. I was a little surprised Reyes didn't make the list, he had a decent year in '02.

Guys on the list who noticeably dropped slot-wise were Almonte and Ulacia. Ulacia had a down year but he's only 22 next month. Almonte was #11 last year, and his drop is likely more due to an influx of prospects vs. him having a down year ... he did pretty well in '02.

Also interesting is seeing Jason Stumm still hanging onto the list. Goes to show he might really be something special if he could only stay healthy ... the elbow just started coming around and then he had to get his shoulder cleaned out. Hopefully he and Brian Sager can get healthy and get their careers on track.

Ed Yan in the top 30?

Yan could shoot up the charts this year if his bat develops. Thats a big if though.

Hudler should get a really good look at him this year though. Him and Guillermo Reyes will be a pretty fun middle infield to watch, imo.