Alomar gets call in Garcia's Sox debut

greasywheels121

Alomar gets call in Garcia's Sox debut

By Bob Foltman

Tribune staff reporter

MINNEAPOLIS—Jamie Burke was behind the plate Tuesday catching White Sox left-hander Mark Buehrle, a task that normally falls to Sandy Alomar Jr.

Alomar will catch Freddy Garcia in his Sox debut Wednesday instead as manager Ozzie Guillen tries to find playing time for three catchers.

"He's a veteran catcher, catching a veteran pitcher," Guillen said of Wednesday's Alomar-Garcia battery. "That's the best match. But that doesn't mean Sandy will be there every day. [ben] Davis has caught Freddy in the past, but he has to get used to the new team."

Davis has been almost an afterthought with all of the focus on Garcia. Guillen said that for now, he'll stay with three catchers, a luxury that he likes. Burke also can play right field and third base.

Alomar said he's ready for whatever role Guillen wants to give him. He already has played more this season than many people, himself included, expected.

"That's why I conditioned myself in the off-season, to prepare myself, you never know," Alomar said. "Whatever they want to do, that's my job, to answer when called upon."

Extra innings

When Miguel Olivo arrived to join his new Seattle Mariners teammates Monday, Garcia was still in the Seattle clubhouse. "He's still here," Olivo told the Seattle Times. "That's funny." … The Twins were the only first-place team in baseball that had allowed more runs than it had scored. "They don't have superstars and $100 million players," Guillen said. "They don't beat themselves, and they play for nine innings every day. They never give up." … What a difference a year makes for Paul Konerko. This time last season he was hitting .185 with three home runs and 17 RBIs. Coming into play Tuesday he was hitting .281 with 19 home runs and 52 RBIs. … The Sox sent left-handed reliever Vic Darensbourg back to Triple-A Charlotte. … Guillen said Felix Diaz is likely to get the start Saturday at Wrigley Field with Jon Rauch available out of the bullpen. "The way Diaz pitched against the Cubs, he earned another start against them," Guillen said.

I was thinking about starting Rauch on Saturday and if he has any problems after the sixth inning, than Diaz can come in. Since the Cubs don’t know Rauch, he should have been (in my opinion) the SP. Still, best of luck to Diaz.