Buehrle renewed

supernuke

Guest hotsoxchick1
I am not sure if someone has already posted this but I just read on ESPN.com that Buehrle has been renewed at $445,000 after turning down a 5 year 27 million dollar deal. If this is true I have to ask what was mark thinking.

that cant be real.. mark was lookin for a multiple year deal.. he wouldnt have turned down 5 years.... whos smokin what over at espn..........

I am not sure if someone has already posted this but I just read on ESPN.com that Buehrle has been renewed at $445,000 after turning down a 5 year 27 million dollar deal. If this is true I have to ask what was mark thinking.

That can't be right..... unless KW has leaked another half-truth to ESPN..... like 5 years/27 million is actually 5 years, 12 million, with 13 million in incentives.

Guest hotsoxchick1

That can't be right..... unless KW has leaked another half-truth to ESPN..... like 5 years/27 million is actually 5 years, 12 million, with 13 million in incentives.

either way that was more than what mark was lookin for to begin with so him not taking it wouldnt make any sense at all.........

Ok it looks like this was the deal, 3 years 11.5 million with an option for 2006 at 7 million which would automatically kick in if Mark pitched 200 innings in 2005 and a 10 million option for 2007. So it looks like this probably could have been done if the sox would have just made the fourth year gaurenteed.

Well heres wut the little article on ESPN said:

The White Sox on March 9 renewed left-hander Mark Buehrle's contract for this season for $445,000 after being unable to reach a long-term contract. Buehrle will be eligible for salary arbitration after this season and free agency after the 2006 season. "That's part of the business," Buehrle said. "We both tried, but didn't get it done. They did come up a lot and for a minute I thought we were close. We went back at them and thought we had a reasonable comeback at the market value." The White Sox have an established salary structure for all of their pre-arbitration players and had the right to renew Buehrle's deal at an amount of their choosing. In the past five years, Buehrle is the only player to have his contract renewed. He was renewed at $310,000 last year.

Report: White Sox renew LHP Buehrle after deal rejected

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SportsTicker

CHICAGO (Ticker) - Chicago White Sox lefthander Mark Buehrle reportedly had his contract renewed Sunday after he rejected a five-year deal worth $27 million.

This is part of what I read. The White Sox mlb board has more on the story though.

Guest hotsoxchick1

ok so far these are the articles i found on espn that pertain to mark...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0303/1517616.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?...sageId=10341128

the later one someone had to get the figures mixed up cause i just cant believe that he turned down 5 years... espically when he was seeking 4......just doesnt make any sense... i hope theres a retraction printed for this tomorrow lol...........

Guest hotsoxchick1

and heres what mlb. com is reporting........seems to be a little difference in opinion between them and espn..........

Buehrle, White Sox look ahead

Left-hander has anchored rotation past two seasons

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

Mark Buehrle earned his first All-Star appearance in 2002. (Paul Connors/AP)

TUCSON -- After a prolonged negotiation period that dated back to last Spring Training, the White Sox renewed pitcher Mark Buehrle's contract for the 2003 season at a salary of $445,000. The salary is the highest ever paid by the White Sox on a one-year contract for a player with Buehrle's service time, surpassing Magglio Ordoñez's old mark.

But Buehrle seemingly walked away from a great deal more. Along with a final $11.5 million offer, Buehrle had the chance for two option years that would have raised the contract's total to $27 million over five years when factoring in buyouts, according to a club spokesman, responding to a report on ESPN Radio.

The first option year in 2006 would have been triggered by Buehrle pitching 200 innings in 2005, which would have added $7 million to the contract. The White Sox then had a final year option with Buehrle for $10 million.

Buehrle's decision to go year-by-year with his contracts is not unusual for young pitchers today. It was the same process followed by Kevin Millwood, Kerry Wood, Freddy Garcia and Jarrod Washburn.

Mark Buehrle / P

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 200

Position: P

Bats/Throws: L/L

More info:

Player page

Stats

Splits

whitesox.com

"We are disappointed not to be able to work out something similar to what we did with (Paul) Konerko and Magglio (Ordoñez)," said White Sox assistant general manager Rick Hahn, concerning the Buehrle negotiations. "But we have explored this from a lot of different angles -- this is time No. 4 in the past year, with three different structures.

"His agent's view is that Mark is better off going year to year, as opposed to taking the guaranteed sum now and providing the club with some cost certainty," he added.

Buehrle pitches Monday against Colorado. He has been the anchor of the White Sox rotation the past two years, earning his first All-Star appearance in 2002 with a 19-12 record and 3.58 earned run average. Buehrle also worked 239 innings in 34 games.

"This is just part of the business," Buehrle said. "We tried, but we couldn't get the deal done."

For his career, Buehrle has a 39-21 record and a 3.58 ERA, with 511 2/3 innings pitched in 94 games. The tough negotiations, though, should have very little impact on Buehrle's continued on-field success.

"I'm just worried about when he shows up to pitch," White Sox manager Jerry Manuel said. "I know he will be there every five days for me."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mark is the consummate pro, and this is something he will put behind him. But given what Mark has accomplished here the last few years, given his importance to the club, our hope was to reward him for that and what he will accomplish in the future."

-- Rick Hahn

Sox assistant GM

"Mark is the consummate pro, and this is something he will put behind him," Hahn added. "But given what Mark has accomplished here the last few years, given his importance to the club, our hope was to reward him for that and what he will accomplish in the future."

One certainty surrounding Buehrle is that he will be part of the White Sox through 2006, when he is eligible for free agency. That is, unless the White Sox decide to move their young ace in the interim.

But with the addition of Bartolo Colon and the development of other young hurlers such as Jon Garland, Buehrle helps make up one of the stronger starting rotations in all of baseball. Of course, this long-term contract issue could be re-visited again next spring.

"We are always willing to listen," Hahn added. "But after trying three different structures, I'm not sure if we would be any more optimistic one year from now.

"The team bares less risk in the year-to-year basis, but in fact, it was the agent's recommendation that the player bares that risk. So, that's the route we are going."

"His agent's view is that Mark is better off going year to year, as opposed to taking the guaranteed sum now and providing the club with some cost certainty," he added.

Well it looks like kw will have a brand new excuse for not spending any money next year now that he doesn't have any cost certainty. It will probably go something like this, How can I spend a dollar when I'm not sure if i have 50 cents or a quarter.

I think that the Sox offered a fair deal. Buerhle has decided to go another way, FOR NOW. This doesn't mean he wants to go to the Cardinals and you can't say that the Sox were absolute cheap asses cause this was a fair offer.

The two sides will probalby talk again. The Sox gave him a good amount of money when they signed him to this one year deal and they showed him some respect.