Interesting List

Wong & Owens

#3 could be the dumbest thing i've ever read

Why?

It makes sense to me. One of the guys on the radio(Dan McNeil, I think) always complained that Gretzky was overrated because he didn't transcend the game ala Michael Jordan, and that he didn't really make the players around him better.

With this stat analysis to go along with that, it sounds right to me :huh

It makes sense to me.  One of the guys on the radio(Dan McNeil, I think) always complained that Gretzky was overrated because he didn't transcend the game ala Michael Jordan, and that he didn't really make the players around him better.

With this stat analysis to go along with that, it sounds right to me  :huh

Ditto.

I would say Gretzky transcended the game, but I don't know about making the people around him better. The Rangers never won crap when he was there. The Willis Reed thing is definitely a myth, as is the "If I don't get it, it sucks." one. I've been railing against that attitude forever, which is why you always see me jumping in on the Nascar threads even though I am not a huge fan of it.

Well i'll knock his argument by saying that the plus/minus stat is about as overrated as a pitcher's win stat, for those of you who don't follow hockey as much as baseball. Using plus/minus to knock Gretzky is a joke.

I will say this. A healthy Lemieux may have challenged Gretzky for greatest player, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy in a few different ways, which is a shame.

Wayne Gretzky saved the NHL!

Nobody cared at all about NHL, and the league was in danger of dying. When Wayne came along, people became (re)interested in hockey. (This is the same as when the NBA was dying until Larry and Magic came along. Prior to that, I remember NBA playoffs being shown on tape delay.)

Wayne transcended the sport...I say he is the best hockey player of all time.

7. You have to have played the game at a high level to fully understand it

If this were true, Elgin Baylor and Michael Jordan would be the greatest executives in NBA history.

If this were true, Al Michaels wouldn't always have a better grasp of what's going on in a football game than the jocks he's shared the booth with.

And Bill James would not have changed the way a new generation of GMs puts together a baseball roster.

I hate this arguement too. It is complete and utter BS

I think playing the game helps, even if it's just some travel or high school experience. But it isn't necessity, i guess

It can help sure. But it doesn't automatically mean someone who didn't doesn't know what they are talking about. Or that someone who did play, has any clue what they are talking about.