Sox announcers a little testy

Guest JimH

I watched the whole game last nite, with great interest, because I thought the comments of both Harrelson and Jackson were very entertaining, and very interesting.

Sometimes I wish they'd go off a little more, but they did a great job last nite. They balanced very direct, pointed criticism of the Sox with a perspective of what's gone wrong with the season. Harrelson harshly criticized the home plate ump, and very correctly (and fairly) gave props to the Twins for capitalizing.

A few of the comments I recall listed below. Note that quotes are mine, I may not remember the exact wording but I remember the basic sentiment:

Harrelson: "The Twins do quite a number of things A LOT better than the Sox."

Harrelson: "We always seem to have trouble with this home plate umpire, Wegner. Garcia has a right to be steamed. But, the Twins took advantage."

Harrelson: "The Twins came into U.S. Cellular, Hunter grabbed the momentum, and they haven't looked back since. And we let them do it."

Harrelson, when Guillen came out to take out Garcia: "Might be a good idea for Ozzie to wait for Wegner to come on out there, tell him what he thinks and stick up for Freddy."

Jackson, on Willie Harris, after the error on the double play ball: "Tailor made double play ball, Willie can't make the play. That's the difference, right there."

Jackson, on Willie Harris after Davis' throw went into CF: "The 2nd baseman, in that situation with a runner on 3rd, he's got to know to get down and block that ball from going into center field. He just took a stab at it, and that didn't get the job done. That's basic fundamental baseball."

Jackson and Harrelson, commenting on J.D. Durbin, who closed out the game: "This young man is mighty impressive, great easy arm action. Jackson to Harrelson, "Coming up in the Twins system, are you surprised?" Harrelson: "Nope, not one bit. Not only pitching, but every position player they bring up knows exactly how to play the game, they aren't lacking in any fundamental area."

Jackson, on Jacque Jones: "Typical Twins baseball. He didn't panic when he swung at two bad pitches. He just waited for a pitch he could take the other way, boom, two runs batted in."

Jackson, on the umpires missing the call when Hunter obviously trapped Crede's sinking liner: "How on earth can that be the first base umpires call? I mean, I know about umpire rotation when there's guys on base, but that's clearly the second base umpires call, he didn't make any effort whatsoever to get out there for a good look. Heck, it was obvious from up here he trapped it."

Harrelson, on Sox hitters: "Our guys are still getting caught in between Santana's fastball and change up. If you're caught in between, you're a gone goose. You've got to pick the pitch you can handle, and sit on it."

Harrelson, on talent: "These Twins won the division last year, with admittedly not as much talent as the White Sox. These days, talent is not what wins you ballgames. It helps, but it's more about execution. The Twins execute and they take advantage, they don't beat themselves. Tonight is another good example of the White Sox beating themselves."

These guys are more frustrated than I've ever heard them. It's my sense they're most disappointed in the almost total lack of aggressiveness and lack of baseball smarts. I felt they did a good job complimenting the Twins, while phrasing it in such a way as if to say, "Look at what they're doing. That's why they win. We don't win because we don't do ANY of those things."

I watched the whole game last nite, with great interest, because I thought the comments of both Harrelson and Jackson were very entertaining, and very interesting.

Sometimes I wish they'd go off a little more, but they did a great job last nite.  They balanced very direct, pointed criticism of the Sox with a perspective of what's gone wrong with the season.  Harrelson harshly criticized the home plate ump, and very correctly (and fairly) gave props to the Twins for capitalizing.

A few of the comments I recall listed below.  Note that quotes are mine, I may not remember the exact wording but I remember the basic sentiment:

Harrelson:  "The Twins do quite a number of things A LOT better than the Sox."

Harrelson:  "We always seem to have trouble with this home plate umpire, Wegner.  Garcia has a right to be steamed.  But, the Twins took advantage."

Harrelson:  "The Twins came into U.S. Cellular, Hunter grabbed the momentum, and they haven't looked back since.  And we let them do it."

Harrelson, when Guillen came out to take out Garcia:  "Might be a good idea for Ozzie to wait for Wegner to come on out there, tell him what he thinks and stick up for Freddy."

Jackson, on Willie Harris, after the error on the double play ball:  "Tailor made double play ball, Willie can't make the play.  That's the difference, right there."

Jackson, on Willie Harris after Davis' throw went into CF:  "The 2nd baseman, in that situation with a runner on 3rd, he's got to know to get down and block that ball from going into center field.  He just took a stab at it, and that didn't get the job done.  That's basic fundamental baseball."

Jackson and Harrelson, commenting on J.D. Durbin, who closed out the game:  "This young man is mighty impressive, great easy arm action.  Jackson to Harrelson, "Coming up in the Twins system, are you surprised?"  Harrelson:  "Nope, not one bit. Not only pitching, but every position player they bring up knows exactly how to play the game, they aren't lacking in any fundamental area."

Jackson, on Jacque Jones:  "Typical Twins baseball.  He didn't panic when he swung at two bad pitches.  He just waited for a pitch he could take the other way, boom, two runs batted in."   

Jackson, on the umpires missing the call when Hunter obviously trapped Crede's sinking liner:  "How on earth can that be the first base umpires call?  I mean, I know about umpire rotation when there's guys on base, but that's clearly the second base umpires call, he didn't make any effort whatsoever to get out there for a good look.  Heck, it was obvious from up here he trapped it."

Harrelson, on Sox hitters:  "Our guys are still getting caught in between Santana's fastball and change up.  If you're caught in between, you're a gone goose.  You've got to pick the pitch you can handle, and sit on it."

Harrelson, on talent:  "These Twins won the division last year, with admittedly not as much talent as the White Sox.  These days, talent is not what wins you ballgames.  It helps, but it's more about execution.  The Twins execute and they take advantage, they don't beat themselves.  Tonight is another good example of the White Sox beating themselves."

These guys are more frustrated than I've ever heard them.  It's my sense they're most disappointed in the almost total lack of aggressiveness and lack of baseball smarts.  I felt they did a good job complimenting the Twins, while phrasing it in such a way as if to say, "Look at what they're doing.  That's why they win.  We don't win because we don't do ANY of those things."

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

These guys are more frustrated than I've ever heard them.  It's my sense they're most disappointed in the almost total lack of aggressiveness and lack of baseball smarts.  I felt they did a good job complimenting the Twins, while phrasing it in such a way as if to say, "Look at what they're doing.  That's why they win.  We don't win because we don't do ANY of those things."

That's why people who think not resigning Maggs and Jose will solve the Sox problems are badly mistaken. This team should look dramatically different.

One thing I noticed w/ Ozzie, as the camera panned to him a number of times during the horrible 6th inning, he was letting the Sox guys' take their lumps, as they were getting embarassed. He's taking notes on who'll be back next yr. Guys w/o heart won't be around.

One thing I noticed w/ Ozzie, as the camera panned to him a number of times during the horrible 6th inning, he was letting the Sox guys' take their lumps, as they were getting embarassed. He's taking notes on who'll be back next yr. Guys w/o heart won't be around.

I hope he learns from his mistakes too, and understands what the word "embarassment" means a bit better.

Waiting all that time to hit Hunter, with a changeup no less, is embarassing to me as a Sox fan.

I also agree with Harrelson, he should've stuck up for Garcia a little better with the home plate umpire.

Save some of that venom reserved for Buck Showalter and direct it toward the Twins, Ozzie. These 2nd place finishes are getting really old, especially when they b**** slap us in every way possible. Not to generalize, but Chicago fans ... particularly South Side fans, like to see a little more aggressiveness.

Someone want to tell me how big of homers Hawk and DJ are again?

F'in Homers. All they do is talk about how the Sox get screwed every single year...

I was going to say this earlier when I simply decided to paste :notworthy :notworthy ... if y'all cannot see this or agree with it you've got to take the Black and White glasses off.

F'in Homers.  All they do is talk about how the Sox get screwed every single year...

I was going to say this earlier when I simply decided to paste  :notworthy  :notworthy ... if y'all cannot see this or agree with it you've got to take the Black and White glasses off.

Now the only question is, did Willie Harris call the booth to b****? :lol:

Now the only question is, did Willie Harris call the booth to b****? :lol:

Mike, I'm not sure Willie can figure out where the booth is ... oops, did that come out of my mouth??? :o :bang :D

But he knows where the phone is right? :lolhitting

If he does know how to find a phone, I have a couple of numbers he should call:

1-800-BUNTING

1-800-HITTING

1-800-INSTINCTS (leave off the TS for "to steal")

Seriously, these guys need to look in the mirror. I cannot fathom how mediocrity has become commonplace with these teams that have enough talent to blow the doors off the division. It's SICK. Minn-e-sota should be eating the Sox's dust, but instead, we're eating Torii Hunter's dust and jock. :headshake

I hope he learns from his mistakes too, and understands what the word "embarassment" means a bit better.

Waiting all that time to hit Hunter, with a changeup no less, is embarassing to me as a Sox fan.

I also agree with Harrelson, he should've stuck up for Garcia a little better with the home plate umpire.

Save some of that venom reserved for Buck Showalter and direct it toward the Twins, Ozzie.  These 2nd place finishes are getting really old, especially when they b**** slap us in every way possible.  Not to generalize, but Chicago fans ... particularly South Side fans, like to see a little more aggressiveness.

It does no good for Ozzie to show emotion if his players aren't. The players need to show they have pride, that they aren't going to roll over and die for the Twins.

I saw in the paper that Torii Hunter was yelling at and glaring at the Sox after the 6th inning, basically "trash talking", saying the Sox were done. Buehrle was quoted in the Southtown talking about it.

It's up to the players to stick up for themselves, to put away bad calls and win. The remaining games against the Twins should show Ozzie and us fans which players "get it" and which ones don't. The sox season tanked after Burke was barrelled over. A fighting team would have taken that play and used it to fire them up, not use it as an excuse to go and hide like they did. The sox need fighters in order to win. They are few and far between on the Sox.

Hawk did talk an awful lot about Crede getting ripped off on a trap.

He complained the entire 6th about Garcia not getting calls.

He said that the Twins leading the American League in ERA is an overrated stat because stats don't mean anything.

He at one point said the runs Garcia gave up were handed to the Twins by the home plate ump.

Hawk did do an awful lot of ripping of the Sox though, but seriously is anyone a big homer than Hawk? I really don't think so. And the way DJ talks with that drawl as a means of trying to talk like Hawk is pathetic.

Call up baseball nation and let them all know that the Sox announcers will be ripping the Sox again tonight. The Twins are going to eat them alive once again. This team sucks a huge dick right now and its really hard to be a homer when you're down 10-0.

Hawk did talk an awful lot about Crede getting ripped off on a trap.

He complained the entire 6th about Garcia not getting calls.

He said that the Twins leading the American League in ERA is an overrated stat because stats don't mean anything.

He at one point said the runs Garcia gave up were handed to the Twins by the home plate ump.

Glad to see that you can still always find the negative in something...

Steff, I tried that number and a recording came on that said I dialed too many numbers.  :huh

1-800-38D-TITS

I bet that's the number Willie calls ... :lolhitting

EDIT: Nope, too complicated for Willie. 1-800-BIG-TITS