yet another Ozzie quote

LosMediasBlancas

In today's Sun-Times he says something like, 'in spring training if you had told me that Harris was gonna hit .260-.270, I would have said "Great".... (Harris was hitting .260 going into Monday's game.) .... I just would have wanted more from Willie'.

What does Ozzie mean by that? If Harris hitting .260 is great, what's the problem when he actually hits .260??

In today's Sun-Times he says something like, 'in spring training if you had told me that Harris was gonna hit .260-.270, I would have said "Great".... (Harris was hitting .260 going into Monday's game.) .... I just would have wanted more from Willie'.

What does Ozzie mean by that? If Harris hitting .260 is great, what's the problem when he actually hits .260??

He didn't say he "would have wanted more", only that he now wishes he'd gotten more. I think (from other comments) that he's referring to Willie's inconsistency. Maybe sb and bunting, too, at least that would make sense.

i think it's a combination of his inability to steal bases and some off the field "attitude" stuff.

Exactly. Playing his first full season in the majors he knew he had a learning curve at the plate, but he wanted to see something that you didn't have to learn, and that is some guts. He wanted Willie to run a lot more.

Guillen has talked about Harris being inconsistent a lot. As an example, Harris is now 0 for his last 10 (I think that's correct) and he's looked bad at the plate doing it. Bunting and the ability to steal bases are just part of that inconsistency.

Does anyone here doubt that Guillen does not want Harris on the 2005 team? It's obvious to me.

Not saying Williams doesn't have other ideas, but Guillen is definitely not a fan of Harris as best I can tell.

first thing we need at second base is a solid, consistent defender who can be counted on to turn tough double plays.

That's not Willie.

Look at who is coaching third base for the White Sox -- Cora, who played with toughness.

That's the kind of guy Ozzie wants at 2B.

:dips***

Anyone who dares to call Willie an inconsistant defender who can't turn tough double plays obviously doesn't watch many Sox games.

I'm sorry but Willie has been a revelation for us defensively at 2B. He may not have the strongest arm in the world but he sure as heck can get rid of the ball faster and more accurately then any other 2B in baseball. Add that to his range and we have a good defensive player on our hands.

Don't get me wrong I would have liked to have seen Willie steal more bases too, but this is his first full year and I think that he deserves at least 2 full years to prove he can do the job.

That being said Willie should be the #9 hitter next year. He should not be the leadoff hitter.

:dips***

Anyone who dares to call Willie an inconsistant defender who can't turn tough double plays obviously doesn't watch many Sox games.

I'm sorry but Willie has been a revelation for us defensively at 2B. He may not have the strongest arm in the world but he sure as heck can get rid of the ball faster and more accurately then any other 2B in baseball. Add that to his range and we have a good defensive player on our hands.

Don't get me wrong I would have liked to have seen Willie steal more bases too, but this is his first full year and I think that he deserves at least 2 full years to prove he can do the job.

That being said Willie should be the #9 hitter next year. He should not be the leadoff hitter.

*cough cough*

Pass the crack pipe, please...

*cough cough*

:lol:

Seriously, Jeckle, Harris is ok defensively, but I wouldn't call him a "revelation".

Name me 5 2B in baseball who can get to some of the balls he does and still get the runner out?

Your blind loyalty for Harris is admirable, but misguided.

To answer your question:

On your own team, Uribe.

Castillo of Pittsburgh is excellent.

Polanco of the Phillies.

Vidro in Montreal.

Alex Cora of the Dodgers.

Castillo of the Florida Marlins.

Hairston of Baltimore, when he was playing 2B.

To answer your question:

On your own team, Uribe.

Polanco of the Phillies.

Vidro in Montreal.

Actually I wouldn't mind picking up Polanco as a free agent this winter

To answer your question:

On your own team, Uribe.

Polanco of the Phillies.

Vidro in Montreal.

Thanks Jim. I wouldn't have thought of all that you did, but I know there's plenty of talent out there at 2b.

Willie has had his struggles this year, and his mental part of the game, I really struggle watching that, because there is just so much untapped talent there. He chooses to NOT do all the little things that would make him a better player on this team, which is why I've lost my patience with him. Sounds like Ozzie has too.