Sox 2005 Payroll

SoxWatcher

With all this talk about potentially signing FA's, making trades, etc., I thought it would be helpful to point out what the Sox 2005 payroll projects to be. If the Sox stood pat and didn't make any significant signings or trades, this would be the Sox 2005 roster and payroll:

1B - Konerko (8.75M)

2B - Harris (320K)

3B - Crede (350K)

SS - Uribe (350K)

LF - Lee (8M)

CF - Rowand (1M - est.)

RF - Everett (4M)

C - Davis (1.4M - est.)

DH - Thomas (8M)

Bench - Burke (310K)

Bench - Gload (310K)

Bench - Utility (300K)

Bench - Utility (300K)

Bench - Utility (300K)

SP1 - Buehrle (5.75M)

SP2 - Garcia (8M)

SP3 - Contreras (6M)

SP4 - Garland (2M - est.)

SP5 - Grilli/Diaz (310K)

RP1 - Takatsu (2.5M)

RP2 - Marte (1.25M)

RP3 - Pollitte (1.3M)

RP4 - Cotts (310K)

RP5 - Reliever (300K)

RP6 - Reliefer (300K)

TOTAL = $61.7 million

That is about what the Opening Day payroll was this year. But, the above team has holes (aka dead weight) at 2B, 3B, RF (depending on your opinion of Everett), C, one SP spot, and at least 2 RP spots. That is a $61.7 million payroll with 6 or 7 holes to fill. Since JR probably won't spend a lot more than $70 million, it looks like some trade or trades are necessary in order to address the many holes in this swiss cheese roster.

Well we'd all win if we had 200 million to spend.

I don't know if we want to debate how much money JR and the Ownership Group "have to spend". But, I didn't intend this thread to be JR bashing. It was merely intended to inform the debates about what the Sox should do to improve this team. Some Sox fans are still talking about "using the $14 million of Maggs money" to get an $8 million pitcher and a $6 million position player. Given the various raises for players and the contracts of midseason additions of Garcia, Contreras, and Everett, the Maggs money is already allocated. Any improvements to this team will have to come from increased spending by the Ownership Group, or trades, or both.

This is the problem with the whole organization right now. The team that you list for contracts would absolutely suck. They'd finish no better than 3rd next year. However, everyone seems to think we'll be big spenders this offseason. I don't see how we're going to do that without creating more holes by trading our better players. We have massive holes at 2b, 3b, RF, Catcher, SP, and RP.....sounds like a good start to building a team.

Well, from seeing these contracts, I see a few problems with this organization and our thinking as fans. The first thing is that Paul Konerko will be making more money next year then Carlos Lee. Even though its only about $750,000, Its insane that Konerko is making more then Lee. Lee is younger(by a few months), cheaper, and has had more production then Konerko. The new chisox should be about getting on base, and Konerko doesn't do it enough. Therefor Konerko should be the obvious choice to trade away. Its not that Konerko's OBP is worse, its that damn double-plays that he has hit into his whole career. I think lee is the better choice to hold onto.

The other thing is that Jose Contreras is making way too much money next year. 6 Million dollars for his production is ludicrous. If there is anyway to trade him away to clear some salary, I believe would be great. Because Contreras is nothing more then a 4th Starter and 6 Mil is too much. Its the same with Garland.

The other thing is Politte is also making too much at 1.3 mil, his production has not lived up to his salary.

Well, from seeing these contracts, I see a few problems with this organization and our thinking as fans. The first thing is that Paul Konerko will be making more money next year then Carlos Lee. Even though its only about $750,000, Its insane that Konerko is making more then Lee. Lee is younger(by a few months), cheaper, and has had more production then Konerko. The new chisox should be about getting on base, and Konerko doesn't do it enough. Therefor Konerko should be the obvious choice to trade away. Its not that Konerko's OBP is worse, its that damn double-plays that he has hit into his whole career. I think lee is the better choice to hold onto.

Through games of 9/23 (via Hardballtimes)

Player          Team   RC RC/G   PA  Outs     BA    OBP   SLG  ISO   GPA   P/PA   LD%  BABIP  G/F BA/RISP

Lee C. CHW 102 7 615 399 .303 .364 .514 .212 .291 3.80 .190 .317 0.7 .312

Konerko P. CHW 99 7 605 404 .281 .360 .546 .266 .297 3.94 .161 .280 1.0 .311

WOW those are some staggering differences :rolly