Ryan Howard wants out

USAF_11F4H

If the Sox are looking to move Konerko for more position players and/or some arms for the 2005 roster, what would anyone think of trying to get Ryan Howard some every day playing time on the south side ... and ... what would it take to acquire him?

Personally, I'd probably trade Contreras for Howard and another piece of the puzzle. I'm not sold on paying Contreras $6M to be in the #3 or #4 slot, so if the Sox could get Howard and his power at 1B to replace Konerko, the money freed in the Lee trade ($6M) a potential Konerko trade ($8M) and rid of Contreras' enigma ($6M), the Sox could sign a premiere SP and a premiere bat.

Anyhoo, the second paragraph was thinking outloud. The main point is do you think the Sox should attempt to try to get Howard (and depending on what and whom the Phillies ask for in return)?

Howard's still a major risk, despite his lofty stats in the minors. With the Sox moving away from major power hitters, and Paul Konerko a real leader on this team, it's hard to see us acquire Howard. And I don't think the Phillies would want Contreras, they already have a full rotation in Wolf, Padillia, Lieber, Myers and Cory Lidle. They were also cutting payroll from last season, so it doesn't really make much sense for them to be taking on salary.

Howard's still a major risk, despite his lofty stats in the minors. With the Sox moving away from major power hitters, and Paul Konerko a real leader on this team, it's hard to see us acquire Howard. And I don't think the Phillies would want Contreras, they already have a full rotation in Wolf, Padillia, Lieber, Myers and Cory Lidle. They were also cutting payroll from last season, so it doesn't really make much sense for them to be taking on salary.

Anyhoo, the second paragraph was thinking outloud. The main point is do you think the Sox should attempt to try to get Howard (and depending on what and whom the Phillies ask for in return)?