Vince Carter Traded to NJ

aboz56

I think that even with a healthy Jefferson, the Nets are an average team with a weak 4/5 rotation and bad overall depth. They have no business winning jack s*** in the playoffs. That's almost like the Juan Gonzalez/Ivan Rodriguez/Rafael Palmeiro/Jose Canseco/Dean Palmer argument. All that glitters ain't gold.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
I think that even with a healthy Jefferson, the Nets are an average team with a weak 4/5 rotation and bad overall depth.  They have no business winning jack s*** in the playoffs.  That's almost like the Juan Gonzalez/Ivan Rodriguez/Rafael Palmeiro/Jose Canseco/Dean Palmer argument.  All that glitters ain't gold.

The nets guards are gonna be a big time miss match. Jones is no where near the defender he use to be. Throughout his career he has been pretty underated defensively in my opinion. I agree they will get raped by shaq but if they get hot for this series the heat are gonna have some problems. I know a lot of heat fans thought it was gonna be a walk in the park until they heard jefferson may be coming back. Now some of them are getting scared because they know what that trio could do by themselves, you put them all on one team? Dayum. I agree with whoever said jefferson may be rusty but a rusty jefferson is better than anything else they have. They may not click well in the playoffs but next year if they get a big man along side nenad ( he is becoming pretty good with his playing time) they will definitely be a threat. That is if of course jefferson resigns.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 05:38 AM)
The nets guards are gonna be a big time miss match. Jones is no where near the defender he use to be. Throughout his career he has  been pretty underated defensively in my opinion. I agree they will get raped by shaq but if they get hot for this series the heat are gonna have some problems. I know a lot of heat fans thought it was gonna be a walk in the park until they heard jefferson may be coming back. Now some of them are getting scared because they know what that trio could do by themselves, you put them all on one team? Dayum. I agree with whoever said jefferson may be rusty but a rusty jefferson is better than anything else they have. They may not click well in the playoffs but next year if they get a big man along side nenad ( he is becoming pretty good with his playing time) they will definitely be a threat. That is if of course jefferson resigns.

They have a ton of upside on the perimiter, but I just can't get behind their big men. Krstic is just way too inconsistent right now, although he has a lot of potential. Collins is run of the mill. Uncle Cliffy is a dinosaur. I see them getting obliterated in the paint.

I agree about Eddie Jones. He was 1st Team All NBA defense one year, IIRC. That's a crock of s***.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 12:44 AM)
They have a ton of upside on the perimiter, but I just can't get behind their big men.  Krstic is just way too inconsistent right now, although he has a lot of potential.  Collins is run of the mill.  Uncle Cliffy is a dinosaur.  I see them getting obliterated in the paint.

I agree about Eddie Jones.  He was 1st Team All NBA defense one year, IIRC.  That's a crock of s***.

Yeah, and he led the league in steals, I think...

I'd say that's about right for him. He can steal, but he's never been shut-down.

He was overrated with the lakers, in my opinion...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 12:47 AM)
Yeah, and he led the league in steals, I think...

I'd say that's about right for him.  He can steal, but he's never been shut-down.

He was overrated with the lakers, in my opinion...

He is basically larry huges when it comes to defense. If they really really want to they can shut people down but that is rare. Jones also gambles alot likes huges does.

I will say this about the Nets. If Nenad Kristic can continue to get double - double's, and they can at least slow down Shaq and Haslem down low especially on the boards, they're certainly not without a chance.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 01:41 AM)
I will say this about the Nets. If Nenad Kristic can continue to get double - double's, and they can at least slow down Shaq and Haslem down low especially on the boards, they're certainly not without a chance.

Shaq is almost like night and day as far as his intensity goes from regular season to post-season. This is his chance to really sitck it to the Lakers. I expect Shaq to go 2001 on everybody this post-season.

Jordan do you honestly think Vince is the only basketball player to do that? He gave his all to Toronto for several years, and he got tired of losing. He asked to be traded, but they didn't want to trade away their only star attraction. Was it wrong for him to admit to it in the media? Definitely. Other stars like Tracy McGrady, Steve Francis, Kobe, Baron Davis etc have all done pretty much the same thing. Here's a pretty recent article about it.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/...amp-trade_x.htm

Would I defend Vince if he wasn't a Tar Heel, thats debatable. But I do know he's a very good person that does alot for charity etc. I disagree completely with his media comments and his lack of working out, but its his life and I can find lots and lots of other NBA players that I could choose to hate over him.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
Jordan do you honestly think Vince is the only basketball player to do that? He gave his all to Toronto for several years, and he got tired of losing. He asked to be traded, but they didn't want to trade away their only star attraction. Was it wrong for him to admit to it in the media? Definitely. Other stars like Tracy McGrady, Steve Francis, Kobe, Baron Davis etc have all done pretty much the same thing. Here's a pretty recent article about it.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/...amp-trade_x.htm

Would I defend Vince if he wasn't a Tar Heel, thats debatable. But I do know he's a very good person that does alot for charity etc. I disagree completely with his media comments and his lack of working out, but its his life and I can find lots and lots of other NBA players that I could choose to hate over him.

Palehose, it's not so much him wanting to be traded. It's the fact that he admittedly said that he didn't play hard In Toronto. I don't care what the situation is, you're obligated to give your very best no matter what.

I know you are supposed to, but do you honestly believe most athletes give their all every game? I know there are some great ones that you can honestly believe they are giving their all all the time. But most athletes drift through alot of games, just like alot of the workforce drifts through the day. Alot of athletes are the same way in my opinion, its just that VC made the giant mistake of admitting that to the media. I definitely don't respect him for that, but maybe thats one mistake and he can move on.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 18, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
I know you are supposed to, but do you honestly believe most athletes give their all every game? I know there are some great ones that you can honestly believe they are giving their all all the time. But most athletes drift through alot of games, just like alot of the workforce drifts through the day. Alot of athletes are the same way in my opinion, its just that VC made the giant mistake of admitting that to the media. I definitely don't respect him for that, but maybe thats one mistake and he can move on.

True. I guess it's easy for me to pick on Vince since he admitted it.