Vazquez to Yanks:

knightni

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-v...ov=ap&type=lgns

PONCE, Puerto Rico (AP) -- Javier Vazquez says the New York Yankees would be making a mistake if they trade him.

A proposed three-team deal that would have sent the right-hander to Los Angeles, Randy Johnson from Arizona to the Yankees and Shawn Green from the Dodgers to the Diamondbacks collapsed earlier this week when Los Angeles changed its mind.

``I'm disappointed that the Yankees are talking about trading me for having only a bad second half to the season,'' Vazquez was quoted as saying in Friday's editions of La Perla del Sur.

``I've had four consistent seasons in the major leagues, and for one bad second half it's unfair that they want to trade me,'' Vazquez said. ``I still trust in my abilities, and if the Yankees trade me, they will regret it.''

Vazquez, 28, said his preference was to stay with the Yankees. If New York does deal him, he would like to return to the National League.

New York acquired him from Montreal after the 2003 season in a deal that sent Nick Johnson and Juan Rivera to the Expos. Vazquez then signed a $45 million, four-year contract.

``After all this rumors one feels not wanted,'' said Vazquez, who went 14-9 with a 4.75 ERA. While he made the All-Star team for the first time, he won just one of his last nine regular-season starts.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said the Yankees were not trying to trade Vazquez, that they only would consider dealing him to acquire Johnson, a five-time Cy Young Award winner.

Vazquez said he will seek a no-trade clause before signing his next contract.