The Vazquez "Auction" Begins

beck72

From the Daily News, FWIW:

A few parts stand out. Among them that AZ has agreed privately tried to oblige Vazquez and trade him to a team near the east coast. And that they want an established SP in return [at minimum]. The Phils may offer Randy Wolf. So far the O's seem willing to trade Erik Bedard [who coming off tommy john surgery, has some health issues--and was shut down at the end of last yr]. I don't know who the tigers are willing to trade. But a Sox pkg starting w/ Garland [or would Contreras be a possible match?--Az seems to be a crappy judge of talent] has to be right there with these teams. Contreras can be lights out. But he also may only go 1 inning after walking 10 batters. Even if Garland has been mediocre, at least he's been better about not beating himself with 5 BB's in an inning.

The price for Vazquez shouldn't go through the roof. Though the O's know Vazquez through mgmt's ties with him in Mon. With the bar set for Hudson and Mulder, and Vazquez a step below them, it's within reason the sox could get him for less than what has been mentioned all off season

Here's the link:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...2p-228675c.html

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about that too and if ARI would take Contreras then they could keep the money they got with JV, that might be very appealing to them.

Interestingly enough, Contreras won a June 15th game at AZ, going 6 1/3 IP, 2 er, 5 hits, 6 k's and 2 bb's. Maybe that stuck with them. we know how KW likes targeting guys who play well vs the Sox.

With Contreras, he's a big risk. Esp with el duque's health concerns. Garland is more consistent. I'd rather keep Garland, who at 25 still has potential to get it together. At 33 Contreras should have his act together. And you're right, Az prob. wouldn't have to give much in terms of cash in the deal, which is important for them as they've signed a few FA's this yr.

It'll take more than either Garland or Contreras to get Vazquez.  Probably another solid major leaguer.

If the starting point is a SP like Randy Wolf or Erik Bedard [both injury risks] the sox have a solid shot at getting him.

Add a bullpen arm like an Adkins and Joe Borchard, sounds doable.

Note from the NY Times:

As for the Diamondbacks, they will now try to ship Vazquez to the Chicago White Sox for outfielder Paul Konerko and a pitcher, or to Baltimore for a combination of players, including relief pitcher Jorge Julio, starting pitcher Erik Bedard and outfielder Jay Gibbons. Arizona has also talked about sending Navarro and some of its own prospects to the Dodgers for outfielder Shawn Green."

outfielder Paul Konerko? :huh:

I just noticed that and added a comment to my post about the same time you posted.

It's funny in that every yr we go thru "What do we do with Frank in the NL parks" and someone always suggests that we could put Konerko in the OF. The novelty of leading the league in Inside-the Park-Home-Runs allowed gets me chuckling out loud.

No way Konerko gets dealt, unless there's another deal in turn where we get another power hitter in return.

And yes, I would trade Contreras before Garland. He's about $2,800,000 more expensive, and far more of a risk as far as I'm concerned. Whether Arizona would go for that, I doubt it. Somehow I see the name Brian Anderson getting mentioned a lot considering he's an Arizona native and went to the University of Arizona. I thought yesterday Garland and Anderson would be the starting price, and unless the D-Backs will take Everett instead, that's what I think they're going to ask for, although one of Cotts, Adkins, Munoz or Diaz could be thrown in as well.

once again ny paper thrive on konerkos name for vasques lol. People we have 1-5

Wouldn't you consider Vazquez to be an upgrade over Garland or Contreras though? Imagine a rotation of Buerhle, Garcia, Vazuez, Hernandez and Garland 1 to 5. If the price is right, it could help put us over the top in the division.

I could see the sox making an offer of Contreras and Brian Anderson or Garland and Everett--each w/ a bigger salary included.

AZ prob will get Shawn Green for RF. Anderson could play CF for them soon. Contreras and Anderson?

The D-Backs don't have a lot of options for CF besides Luis Terrero. Anderson could be roaming the BOB outer fields by 2006 if he can continue his upward ascent through the minors. Contreras would be the dominating arm in the rotation, and the D-Backs have shown they like sinker ballers with Brandon Webb. But also the Dodgers have to come into consideration as well. Will Vazquez be included along with Dioner Navarro for Shawn Green? If I'm Paul DePodesta, I gotta say yes.

I have to applaud the Sox for attempting a total makeover in 5 months. I wouldn't have said this 2 months ago, or even one month ago, but I could see PK dealt for a chance to lock in another starting pitcher.

I am also beginning to wonder if that isn't the best path to WS. Defense wins championships in every other sport. IN a 7-game series, trotting out 3 or 4 solid starters may be the best option around for a medium market/payroll team. Hitters get hot and cold, most MLB pitchers are more consistent in their performances. Bang 'em hard hasn't produced an October surprise.

While I'm leading the 'trade Contreras' faction, does he have a no-trade clause? I know he waived it to come to the Sox. But does he still have it? He seems like a stand up guy, who might waive it ['I didn't want to stay where I wasn't wanted' about leaving NY]

Konerko and Garland or Contreras for Vazquez is insanity.

But I wonder if PK has asked to go to Arizona. Grew up there. Lived there. That might factor into the equation.

If Konerko is dealt as part of the package, Arizona would have to give us more than Vazquez in return.

I'm not real familiar with their inventory, but a middle infielder would be nice.