Ben Davis to the Dodgers?

Pasqua's Mailman

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
You are grossly underestmating the value of Davis.  He simply has not had enough regular ab's in the ML's to consider a bust yet.  I liken his value to that of Jiminez' when the Sox got him.  As a prospect he was highly rated.

But in limited capacity he didn't get it done.  Now with regular ab's at CIN

he's an everyday player.

Davis is worth at least what we gave up to get Jiminez at the time.

Will six or seven years of at-bats convince you? I doubt it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite his million dollar contract I am not convinced Ben Davis can beat out Jamie Burke in ST. Davis has a rep as a good defensive catcher play caller but he did not look like anything special in the games I saw.

Burke is much more versatile and, importantly is strong against LH pitching where AJ is weak. Davis is even weaker than A.J. in the very areas you want to cover up. I think a sub that can compliment the starter makes more sense than one who shares the same weaknesses.

Here are the LH/RH BA splits from 2004.

Burke .311/.356

Davis .172/.222

A.J. .221/.283

Jamie also came through in the clutch, ESPN's close and late split:

Burke .333

Davis .143

A.J. .329

Davis has an undeniable edge on HRs, 6 to none, but I can see no other advantage to him.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
They could finally give us Jeff Berry or Barry or whichever one Kenny Williams thought he was getting the last time he made a trade with the Dodgers.

Maybe this idea of trading Bendavis makes sense. Davis is a LH batter correct? Pearskiwhacker is a LH batter Balance would seem to lean towards bringing a righty batter in as the backup. Maybe Burke again and Benny is traded. But, then again we have Carlos Lee right?

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
Maybe this idea of trading Bendavis makes sense. Davis is a LH batter correct? Pearskiwhacker is a LH batter Balance would seem to lean towards bringing a righty batter in as the backup. Maybe Burke again and Benny is traded. But, then again we have Carlos Lee right?

Davis is a switch. 5 of his HR did come right handed.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
Thurston was once a big time prospect, wasn't he?

Thurston for Davis wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit.  Then we have Burke be the backup(even though that would be dumb, having removed him from the 40-man and all only to put him back on the 40-man), and we get a low-risk, high-reward guy in Thurston.

Bring in a catching vet as a NRI during ST...maybe sign him to a minor league deal...something like that.  We could work something out.

I thought Thurston was designated for assignment per rotoworld? We can sign him if we claim him, dont see no reason why not to take a shot at him.

Joe Thurston - 2B - Dodgers

Dodgers designated second baseman Joe Thurston for assignment.

Thurston has regressed the last couple of years and can no longer be viewed as a future regular. He's not worth the waiver claim. Jan. 12 - 3:18 pm et

Source: Los Angeles Daily News

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 06:54 AM)
I don't know if this has been mentioned but LA signed Paul Bako to a 1 yr, $650,000 contract. Davis isn't going to LA

That happened before the Davis rumor was reported. It probably means it's dead, but they may not be happy with that other catcher they have.

Edit: http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...ic=25642&st=240 Post #253

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 01:41 AM)
Davis is a switch. 5 of his HR did come right handed.

OK. Thanks for that info. I just remember seeing him bat lefty most of the time, but since Burke is a better hitter and right handed maybe that's why we don't see Davis hitting right handed more.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
OK. Thanks for that info. I just remember seeing him bat lefty most of the time, but since Burke is a better hitter and right handed maybe that's why we don't see Davis hitting right handed more.

And ... most pitchers are right handed.