Bush Administration receives call from above

KipWellsFan

Quote from Bush at Celebration of Freedom concert

Tomorrow, I will take an oath and deliver an inaugural address. ... I will speak about freedom. This is the cause that unites our country and gives hope to the world and will lead us to a future of peace. We have a calling from beyond the stars to stand for freedom, and America will always be faithful to that cause.

What the hell? Who writes this jibberish!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
I don't see a problem.  :huh

How bout this one from Billy Grahm at a National Prayer Service in which George W. Bush attended.

courtesy cnn.com

Evangelist Billy Graham spoke at the service, and he shook hands with Bush when the president and first lady entered the church.

Graham said it was fitting that inauguration week culminated in a church service.

He thanked God for "divine help" in the selection of presidents throughout history.

"We believe that in your province you have granted a second term to our president, George W. Bush, and our vice president, Richard Cheney," the 86-year-old Graham said.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
How bout this one from Billy Grahm at a National Prayer Service in which George W. Bush attended.

courtesy cnn.com

Kip, you're allowed (encouraged even) to not pay attention to Reverend Graham, the man who is on record as having estimated the size of heaven as only 1,500 cubic miles. Looks to be standing room only for history's several billion Christians (kneeling room for Catholics of course).

Then again, if Billy is that in that touch with the celestial real estate business, he may have insider knowledge that W really was the Big G's pick to click. The meek will inherit the earth, but apparently the dumbasses get America.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
Kip, you're allowed (encouraged even) to not pay attention to Reverend Graham, the man who is on record as having estimated the size of heaven as only 1,500 cubic miles.  Looks to be standing room only for history's several billion Christians (kneeling room for Catholics of course).

Then again, if Billy is that in that touch with the celestial real estate business, he may have insider knowledge that W really was the Big G's pick to click.  The meek will inherit the earth, but apparently the dumbasses get America.

That's my point, why would they attend something that he speaks at?

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
That's fine but when it's the focal point of every speech it makes me sick.

Let me preface by saying I'm not sure about this president's sincerity on this matter, but I'll gladly take a God-fearing man in his position over one that rejects God.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
Then again, if Billy is that in that touch with the celestial real estate business, he may have insider knowledge that W really was the Big G's pick to click.  The meek will inherit the earth, but apparently the dumbasses get America.

LMAO! :lolhitting :notworthy

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)

courtesy cnn.com

I still don't see a problem.

I take it like this: He's saying "Thank You" for picking Presidents throughout history that are good decent men and not Hitlers. That's just my opinion on the quotes you've given me. I have no problem with these two men believing God has a hand in things like elections and freedom in general. I believe the same. Ronald Reagan believed the same.

Yasny,

That is illogical.

A god fearing man, will believe that so long as his actions are right in the eyes of god, it will not matter what the consequences are to the mortal world.

A person who does not believe in god, will only worry about what the consequences are in the mortal realm, and not base policy on the immortal realm.

Most poeple would never accept an atheist, but in reality you should want a person that only is worried about now, as opposed to what might happen after you die.

SB

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Yasny,

That is illogical.

A god fearing man, will believe that so long as his actions are right in the eyes of god, it will not matter what the consequences are to the mortal world.

A person who does not believe in god, will only worry about what the consequences are in the mortal realm, and not base policy on the immortal realm.

Most poeple would never accept an atheist, but in reality you should want a person that only is worried about now, as opposed to what might happen after you die.

SB

Yep, I'm converting right now. Best arguement I've ever heard. :rolly

I deleted my last post. I have generally refrained from espousing my spiritual beliefs on here as I don't think most of you would want to hear them. I feel I went beyond the limits I had set for myself with that post. Now, if someone qouted it before I deleted it, I can't control that.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
Yep, I'm converting right now. Best arguement I've ever heard. :rolly

I don't think you can 'convert' to atheism technically... "nonvert" maybe? :D

Of course, our distributed informational pamphthlets (sp?) are very economical... just a bunch of blank pages. (I think I stole that from Paula Poundstone, but I think it's funny).

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
If that's the role that Catholics play in heaven, I'm glad I haven't been very good in my life.

Still, as FZ once observed, kneeling down is better than bending over. Of course that was originally meant in a figurative sense, as it preceded the various church sex scandals by some 20 years.

Just for claritys sake, I am not saying the belief in god is right or wrong.

But would you want an accountant who kept saying:

"You know its harder for a rich man to get into heaven than it is for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle."

Or would you want him to carry out his mortal role, and let you worry about your own sanctity, religion.

SB

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
I don't think you can 'convert' to atheism technically... "nonvert" maybe? :D

Of course, our distributed informational pamphthlets (sp?) are very economical... just a bunch of blank pages. (I think I stole that from Paula Poundstone, but I think it's funny).

That is funny. :lol:

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
Just for claritys sake, I am not saying the belief in god is right or wrong.

But would you want an accountant who kept saying:

"You know its harder for a rich man to get into heaven than it is for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle."

Or would you want him to carry out his mortal role, and let you worry about your own sanctity, religion.

SB

My accountant isn't the "Leader of the Free World."

So your saying that its more important that a lower level person do their job well than a higher level person?

The President should base his decisions on what is best for present day United States. Not what is best for the United States should it turn out that god is a christian. Not what is best for the United States should it turn out Bhudda is God, or any other omiscient ideal.

To some how equate "believing in religion" with "better president", with out any form of proof or evidence of why, believing in religion will make some one a better president, is kind of silly.

I mean, its not that hard to do, but atleast present an argument. I mean I wouldnt want you to be considered "slothful".

SB

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
To some how equate "believing in religion" with "better president", with out any form of proof or evidence of why, believing in religion will make some one a better president, is kind of silly.

Did I do that?

Well when you only quote and do not use any substance in your own arguments than all we can work with is what is inferred by your statements.

Lets look at the chain of events:

Yasny says he prefers god fearing man, to non god fearing man.

I post that is illogical.

You sarcastical post: "Best argument I have ever heard, I am converting."

Your response intuitively suggests that you are in disagreement with my statement. If you are in disagreement with my statement which was in disagreement with Yasny's statement, than you are in agreement with Yasny's statement.

So therefore, eventhough you have tried to weasel your way out of taking a position by merely quoting and throwing in 1 or 2 liners, it is clear to probably anyone that knows what the word "infer" means, can understand that you infer a position with your posts.

It may not be your position, but when you do not explicitly state a position, and rely on piggy backing on some one elses statement, Yasny, than it is reasonable to believe you are taking a similar position.

Whatever the case, I really do not have time to argue semantics. I would be interested in why believing in god would make you any better at a job than some one who does not believe in god. But that is not the way this thread is heading.

SB