Mike Spidale

BHAMBARONS

Just wondering if Spidale has earned a spot in Knights Lineup I am not sure what kind of openings are left there. I seen Spidale the whole season last year and he impressed me and he saved his best for the strech run and also showed some power which was very shocking becuase he only had 1 homer in Winston then comes to the Met and hits 7. While I would love to have him back in Bham I think he has earned a spot with Charlotte.

Thanks Tom

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
Anderson will be ahead of Spidale in Charlotte if there is only one spot for the 2 of them. I would hope and think Spidale has a spot in AAA as well.

I think that would be doubtful at best, with Borchard and Escobar most likely going to be everyday players for the Knights. Frankly I'd like to see Anderson spend a month or 2 at Birmingham, and then he can finish the year off at Charlotte and be a September call - up.

I don't want to rush him into the big leagues, if he's definitely not ready. We don't want another Borchard situation here. It's hard to see in the next 2 seasons, if he was with the Sox, how he would be an everyday player either.

I'm a big fan of Mike. It is hard to figure where he will be with so many outfielders but AAA would be nice after the great season he had. He would be young for AAA but he has been young at every level so far. I have seen him play alot both in NC and Alabama. He plays guts out.

Performance aside, he seems to be a good kid. I have the chance to see him with the fans and kids and he is always "fan friendly". I'm hoping good things for him.

QUOTE(bogie @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
I'm a big fan of Mike. It is hard to figure where he will be with so many outfielders but AAA would be nice after the great season he had. He would be young for AAA but he has been young at every level so far. I have seen him play alot both in NC and Alabama. He plays guts out.

Performance aside, he seems to be a good kid. I have the chance to see him with the fans and kids and he is always "fan friendly". I'm hoping good things for him.

bogie, I agree completely with your character assessment of Michael. He works hard and plays all out. Very fun player to watch. He is also very soft-spoken and polite. Just a good kid in general.

He will be one of those guys that could go either way in ST depending on everything that happens. My fear is that, like Bikowski last year, he will make the AAA club and end up as a 4th or 5th OF and grow stale on the bench only playing once or twice a week. If he thrives in that role it could help him down the road if that is a role he can fill in the bigs. But taking regular playing time from a young guy usually does not produce good results.

The wildcard in all of this is that he could, and I emphasize could fit in at 2B somewhere. He was taking a ton of ground balls at 2B toward the end of last season and I was told that he was going go to Instructs to work on that. His arm is still his biggest weakness. His throwing motion is horrible. But no one knows that better than Mike. From what I was told he worked on throwing every day last year. He would throw long and worked hard to change his throwing motion. But that is difficult to do. I have taught private lessons to kids in the past and I have worked with 9-12 yr olds on changing their throwing motion and that was damned near impossible. Think of how much harder it would be on an adult baseball player who has thrown that way all his life? It's like teaching a guy to walk again.

I'm rooting for Michael. He is a guy that if he can make it in the big leagues, fans will enjoy watching him play.

Great insight Rex. He started out as a 2B and any versatility he brings to the table will only help his chances.

Looks like he can play LF, CF, and now maybe 2B. Speed is a big asset and he appears to have good knowledge of the strike zone. Would love to see him get lots of playing time in 2005 and possibly get a chance for 2006.

Love to root for those Nazareth Academy guys.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 02:08 AM)
I think that would be doubtful at best, with Borchard and Escobar most likely going to be everyday players for the Knights. Frankly I'd like to see Anderson spend a month or 2 at Birmingham, and then he can finish the year off at Charlotte and be a September call - up.

I don't want to rush him into the big leagues, if he's definitely not ready. We don't want another Borchard situation here. It's hard to see in the next 2 seasons, if he was with the Sox, how he would be an everyday player either.

I'm willing to bet Anderson will be in AAA to start the year. Besides, I don't see the Borchard comparisons. Borch sucked in AAA and spent multiple seasons there. How is that at all like Anderson without seeing Anderson play in AAA yet?

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)
I'm willing to bet Anderson will be in AAA to start the year. Besides, I don't see the Borchard comparisons. Borch sucked in AAA and spent multiple seasons there. How is that at all like Anderson without seeing Anderson play in AAA yet?

I don't think "Borchard SUCKED in AAA" is completely accurate........

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
bogie, I agree completely with your character assessment of Michael.  He works hard and plays all out.  Very fun player to watch.  He is also very soft-spoken and polite.  Just a good kid in general.

He will be one of those guys that could go either way in ST depending on everything that happens.  My fear is that, like Bikowski last year, he will make the AAA club and end up as a 4th or 5th OF and grow stale on the bench only playing once or twice a week.  If he thrives in that role it could help him down the road if that is a role he can fill in the bigs.  But taking regular playing time from a young guy usually does not produce good results. 

The wildcard in all of this is that he could, and I emphasize could fit in at 2B somewhere.  He was taking a ton of ground balls at 2B toward the end of last season and I was told that he was going go to Instructs to work on that.  His arm is still his biggest weakness.  His throwing motion is horrible.  But no one knows that better than Mike.  From what I was told he worked on throwing every day last year.  He would throw long and worked hard to change his throwing motion.  But that is difficult to do.  I have taught private lessons to kids in the past and I have worked with 9-12 yr olds on changing their throwing motion and that was damned near impossible.  Think of how much harder it would be on an adult baseball player who has thrown that way all his life?  It's like teaching a guy to walk again. 

I'm rooting for Michael.  He is a guy that if he can make it in the big leagues, fans will enjoy watching him play.

Hmmm... I didn't know about the groundball/second base work. Seems interesting.

I have seen him make so many great plays in the outfield it is hard to imagine him in the infield. He "looks" like a outfielder.

I have heard about his work ethic. I have a hunch he will take care of what ever has to be worked on.

QUOTE(bogie @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
Hmmm... I didn't know about the groundball/second base work. Seems interesting.

I have seen him make so many great plays in the outfield it is hard to imagine him in the infield. He "looks" like a outfielder.

I have heard about his work ethic. I have a hunch he will take care of what ever has to be worked on.

His problem is his arm will limit him to LF in the Majors and his lack of power will hurt him there. He was drafted as a SS and converted to an OF. He was recruited and committed to the University of Evansville (obviously he signed with the Sox instead) and the coach that recruited him told him they would immediately move him to CF.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)
His career AAA average was .263. Would you like me to say that he played well below expectations instead of sucked?

I understand what you are saying its just that as a AAA player he hasn't sucked.

(sucked could be a accurate description of his major league season last year).He has been there multiple seasons because he hasnt performed well on the major league level and wasn't going to take Lee's or Ordonez's spot. He had no choice but to play in AAA multiple seasons since he didn't grab a major league spot.

In AAA he has hit 272 with 35 doubles/20 homers; 253 with 20 doubles/13 homers;

266 with 21doubles/16 homers. The last two seasons weren't full seasons either. To me that doesn't sound like a player that "sucked" at AAA. I agree that he has played below expectations -but expectations were put pretty darn high on him after giving him 5.3 mil.There are a whole lot of AAA players that wish they "sucked" that bad at that level.

Anderson is definately a player but he didn't necessarily tear it up in AA while he was there. You say you don't want to rush him but you have him starting in AA then going to AAA soon then a call up to the majors. Don't get me wrong, I think Anderson has a bright future i would just like to see him at AA for a longer. period.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 22, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
His problem is his arm will limit him to LF in the Majors and his lack of power will hurt him there.  He was drafted as a SS and converted to an OF.  He was recruited and committed to the University of Evansville (obviously he signed with the Sox instead) and the coach that recruited him told him they would immediately move him to CF.

Interesting. Maybe Mike is the type of "Ozzie Ball" player the Sox seem to like now.After all, they went and got Podsednik who isn't a power hitting outfielder and also has an average arm at best.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 23, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
im not a minor league expert but in my opinion i see spidale, Borchard, and escobar at AAA and than Sweeney, Anderson, and Rogo at AA.

Personally I'd keep Anderson in AA for a little longer, basically the similar path that I'd like to see BMAC on. I think both could use some more seasoning before making the jump to Charlotte, plus I figure why rush them when I don't expect either to be bolstered into major league roles this season so the best thing to do is prepare them and to me letting them get some more time in AA would be wise.

I think Anderson would fall pretty flat in AAA and Bmac may hold his own, but to move him to a hitters park like Charlotte this quick just wouldn't be wise.