Braylon Edwards

I just watned to give a heads up to Bear/autograph hounds that Braylon Edwards will be appearing at the March Sun-Times show. It's before the draft so you couldn't get him to sign Bear memorabilia, but you could get him on a photo/ball/michigan helmet. Prices not up yet. I just thought I'd give a heads up to Bear fans who also collect.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
No we won't.

QUOTE(Confederate_48 @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
Mike Williams or trade down

I want Mike Williams more then anything the guys got some of the best hands I've ever seen he's gonna be a stud. But as we get closer and closer to the draft I'm getting this sick feeling that we're gonna take Braylon Edwards, who should be solid but will never reach the stature of Mike Williams.

1) Angelo is in love with 40 times and unless Williams inproves on his 4.56 there is no way Jerry will draft him.

2) Angelo likes proven college talent (Rex Grossman, Tommie Harris, Craig Krenzel, Alex Brown) which Braylon Edwards is, he won the biletnikoff award last year and Mike Williams only played 2 years in college then took a year off from football (not his decision).

QUOTE(Confederate_48 @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
Williams said he ran a 4.43 40 but on a fast track. Lets hope he can do that at the combines.

If he can hopefully Angelo will take a closer look at him. Let's just prey that he's been working out this past year and is able to up his 40 time cuz he's been running in the 4.6 and 4.5 range the past 3 years.

A couple things out of that article:

He seems to have a great demeanor he doesn't want anyone talking about him unless it's positive.

He has a sparkling past with no hangups on drinking or partying.

He is pretty big 6-5 229 he's only down 6 pounds.

The guys got a great vertical at 37 inches which means hes gained about 2in over the past year.

He's been talking to Cris Carter and Michael Irvin which can't hurt.

If he is able to run a 4.45 at the combine, the Bears will draft him.

i would want Edwards more then williams because: edwards is a hard worker and appears to always be giving it his all, even saw him chase down a couple guys after an inteception, rerely drops passes, can jump, isnt afraid to get hit. not saying williams cant do any of the things listed. but williams has spent a year out of football, you dont know what can happen in a year.

You can't lose with either Edwards or Williams.

Personally, I'd go the Williams route. He has "big play" ability. I think he brings a T.O. type impact to the table week in and week out. He's huge, he can overpower his defenders, he can out jump his defenders, and he's a horse. If I'm Angelo, Williams is off the board at pick no. 4. When combines roll around, people will remember why Williams is one of the top 3 players in the draft. He'll be a star for years to come.

QUOTE(backman @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
i would want Edwards more then williams because: edwards is a hard worker and appears to always be giving it his all, even saw him chase down a couple guys after an inteception, rerely drops passes, can jump, isnt afraid to get hit. not saying williams cant do any of the things listed. but williams has spent a year out of football, you dont know what can happen in a year.

Well Williams is better than Edwards at everthing you just said, especially leaping ability. And you said Braylon Edwards rarely drops passes, that is the major negative that he has that he tends to drop the easy ones, that at times he'll get a little lazy and drop some passes. Williams has the same work ethic if not better. I like Edwards but Williams is just better.

Braylon Edwards:

Weaknesses: Will drop a lot of catchable balls...Is sometimes inconsistent...Loses concentration and focus at times...Dealt with some immaturity issues early in his career...Can run better routes...Doesn't always give top effort as a blocker.

ontheclock.com:

Braylon Edwards is a very physical receiver with good size. He is tall with long arms and has a leaping ability that allows him to win a jump ball battle with most defensive backs. He runs precise routes, has the speed to stretch the defense, and has an uncanny ability to get yards after the catch. When his head is in the game, Edwards' ball skills are among the best in the nation. However, when he isn't getting the ball early on in the game, he seems to lose concentration and will drop passes when they do come his way. He will also. at times, drop passes due to attempting to run before he has the ball secured. He does the little tings that alot of people don't notice such as blocking downfield for his runningback. Edwards could have gone pro after his junior year but opted to return to Michigan to finish his degree and secure his place in Michigan football history--He made a wise choice. Braylon Edwards is a big-play wide receiver who has a chance to be the first wide receiver off the board and a top 10, if not a top 5 pick in April.

Mike Williams:

Strengths: Great size...Very good hands...A terror in the red zone...Has a nose for the end zone...Will out-leap and out-muscle any cornerback...Put up some huge numbers and was the star on a National Championship team.

Weaknesses: Lacks excellent pure speed...Only played two years of college football...Needs to refine his overall game...Must master the nuances of the position...Will have to shake off the rust after not playing in 2004.

Notes: Rare talent...Could be an elite NFL wideout...Tried to enter the 2004 draft after his true sophomore year on the heels of the Maurice Clarett ruling but when that was overturned he was left out in the cold...Was dominant during his short college career...Some teams may look at him as a tight end prospect because of his size and lack of top speed...Would have been a Top 15 pick in 2004 but may go even higher in 2005 since it will be a weaker class of wideouts.

Full Braylon Edwards:

Strengths: Has very good size...Is an excellent natural athlete...Has outstanding ball skills...Good speed...Very productive...Great leaping ability and will go up over defensive backs for the catch...Physical receiver...Can dominate a game...Potential to be a true #1 receiver in the pros.

Weaknesses: Will drop a lot of catchable balls...Is sometimes inconsistent...Loses concentration and focus at times...Dealt with some immaturity issues early in his career...Can run better routes...Doesn't always give top effort as a blocker.

Notes: Father Stanley played in the NFL...Statistically the best wide receiver in Wolverine history, which is saying something when you are talking about the likes of Anthony Carter, Desmond Howard, Derrick Alexander and David Terrell...Could be a premier NFL wideout if he can be a little more consistent because he has all the physical tools.

QUOTE(backman @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
o well, who doesnt drop balls? besides im not agaisnt williams i just like edwars better they both have the potential to be great T.O. / moss type of receivers, minus the aditude.

I'll tell you who doesn't drop balls - Mike Williams!

williams_mike4.jpg

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 8, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
It'll depend how well Williams does at the combine. Edwards is NO David Terrell. He was much better in college, tries a lot harder, and has more athletic ability than Terrell. I think the Bears will end up picking Williams though.

The combine is everything this year. Angelo loves Braylon Edwards but is worried by his occasional lapses in concentration and focus. If Williams can run a 4.46 and get down to about 220 pounds the Bears will draft him, otherwise he'll go with Edwards.

Both Williams and Edwards will be great pros and you can't lose if you pick either. But IMHO Williams will be better and passing on him because of a low 40 time is a huge mistake, just think back to two years ago when he passed on Terrel Suggs because his 40 time was a little high. Huge f***ing mistake.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
Braylon Edwards:

Sounds a lot like another Michigan WR that wore number 1.