US Troops shoot freed Journo

DBAHO

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 11:28 AM)
Since she is a "b****" does that make the dead man an asshole or a bastard or both?

I couldn't say it nicely so I passed... :ph34r:

Very saddened and surprised by some of the comments in this thread.. :unsure:

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
I couldn't say it nicely so I passed...  :ph34r:

Very saddened and surprised by some of the comments in this thread.. :unsure:

Yes, but I :wub: :wub: :wub: the ignore button for so many reasons that have been displayed in this thread.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 11:28 AM)
Since she is a "b****" does that make the dead man an asshole or a bastard or both?

I think she is a b**** for stating that our soldiers tried to murder her when in fact those same soldiers would have risked their lives to save her if the opportunity presented itself. To tarnish our soldiers when they would protect you with their lives if need be, is cause to be labeled a b**** IMO.

As for the secret service agent...May he rest in peace. He never accused the US soldiers of attempting to assasinate him. IMO he performed his actions with honor and gave the ultimate sacrifice.

The problem here isn't whether or not some woman is a b****. The problem is the US and Italian governments are officially feuding.

The Italian Foreign minister has demanded that the US "identify and punish those responsible for the shooting of Italy's top intelligence agent in Iraq"

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0308/dailyUpdate.html

U.S. General Says He Didn't Know Italian Was Free

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?t...storyID=7841815

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
Dead men don't talk

And your point is...?

I would've had no problem with Ms. Sgrena saying that our troops are stupid or incompetent (hey, they did shoot at her car), but saying that our government targeted her for assassination is completely irresponsible and indefensible.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
So that blows the whole "the US tried to kill her because of the ransom" theory out of the water.... If this is true.

I wonder how much of that is truth -- and how much of that could be to foment more anger/hate of the US. Cuz with more infighting, Italy could leave the coalition of the willing & leave Iraq.

If what they are saying is true, then it blows that theory out of the water -- however, it could be that they are simply doing it to try to get more chaos going on in Iraq.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
And your point is...?

I would've had no problem with Ms. Sgrena saying that our troops are stupid or incompetent (hey, they did shoot at her car), but saying that our government targeted her for assassination is completely irresponsible and indefensible.

You said he didn't make any accusations about why they were trying to kill him, I pointed out he was dead. Who knows what he was thinking?

The moment they opened fire, everyone in that car was targeted for assassination. Was it premeditated and specifically targeted at her? I don't know, only an investigation will prove or disprove that. My gut tells me not. We have overstressed, lesser trained, personell there and I can see a shoot first, save my ass, and let someone else sort it out, attitude taking place. I know that's what I would do.

Earlier YASNY mentioned is we targeted her, she would have been dead. I agree, we probably would have used something a bit stronger than rifles. However, we have sometimes let assassination targets slip past, just ask Castro.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 11:20 PM)
You said he didn't make any accusations about why they were trying to kill him, I pointed out he was dead. Who knows what he was thinking?

That doesn't make sense to me. We should label "assholes" because of what we think they might possibly say, even if we have no clue? Or are you trying to say that we shouldn't say anything bad about someone unless we can be certain about how everyone in the world feels about the same issue? Or is there a cosmic rule that every b**** comes with a bastard and vice versa? His point seemed to be that he wouldn't call someone names unless they actually did something.

I don't like the "b****" comments, but this has nothing to do with gender. Same situation, male reporter, female soldier, you'd get bastard, asshole, whatever.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 06:00 PM)
That doesn't make sense to me.  We should label "assholes" because of what we think they might possibly say, even if we have no clue?  Or are you trying to say that we shouldn't say anything bad about someone unless we can be certain about how everyone in the world feels about the same issue?  Or is there a cosmic rule that every b**** comes with a bastard and vice versa?  His point seemed to be that he wouldn't call someone names unless they actually did something.

I don't like the "b****" comments, but this has nothing to do with gender.  Same situation, male reporter, female soldier, you'd get bastard, asshole, whatever.

I believe the chain was

1. "if she is a b****, is this guy an asshole?"

2. "no, because he didn't accuse the US of . . ."

3. "He's dead so he couldn't accuse"

4. "what's your point?"

5. "he couldn't accuse us of anything, he was dead" making #2 illogical

I'm not certain why you quoted me? I was just pointing out that dead men don't talkmuch, they are kind of quiet.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 12:07 AM)
I believe the chain was

1. "if she is a b****, is this guy an asshole?"

2. "no, because he didn't accuse the US of . . ."

3. "He's dead so he couldn't accuse"

4. "what's your point?"

5. "he couldn't accuse us of anything, he was dead" making #2 illogical

I'm not certain why you quoted me? I was just pointing out that dead men don't talkmuch, they are kind of quiet.

#2 is not illogical. I wouldn't call someone an asshole if they hadn't done the thing I objected to, either. If I see a guy in the park kicking dogs, I'd call him a jerk. I wouldn't call the jogger a jerk. Hey, who knows, he may enjoy seeing dogs kicked. But until I know that, I don't call him a jerk.

There seems to be a need for a male asshole. Okay, I nominate her boyfriend. Now can we drop this silly line of argument?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
There seems to be a need for a male asshole.  Okay, I nominate her boyfriend.  Now can we drop this silly line of argument?

Well, I think that's sort of the point. Everyone rushed to call her a commie b****--but her boyfriend said stuff that was just as offensive and only half the outrage. I don't think that should be the point of this thread--but there's definitely some iniquity going on here.

Again, though, god bless the new ignore function. :D

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 12:46 AM)
Well, I think that's sort of the point. Everyone rushed to call her a commie b****--but her boyfriend said stuff that was just as offensive and only half the outrage. I don't think that should be the point of this thread--but there's definitely some iniquity going on here.

Again, though, god bless the new ignore function.  :D

QP said "the dead man", the Italian officer who helped rescue her, not the boyfriend.

As for her boyfriend, my impression is simply that noone really cares what he says, since it's all hearsay anyway. But sure, I think it's fair that anyone calling her a b**** would concede that he's an asshole.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)

The moment they opened fire, everyone in that car was targeted for assassination. Was it premeditated and specifically targeted at her? I don't know, only an investigation will prove or disprove that. My gut tells me not. We have overstressed, lesser trained, personell there and I can see a shoot first, save my ass, and let someone else sort it out, attitude taking place. I know that's what I would do.

Earlier YASNY mentioned is we targeted her, she would have been dead. I agree, we probably would have used something a bit stronger than rifles. However, we have sometimes let assassination targets slip past, just ask Castro.

Agreed, but the Castro comparison is laugable. Ms. Segrena didn't have an army protecting her on that Baghdad road.

Edited by TheBigHurt35

For the record folks, someone referred to this lady as a b**** early in the thread. Hence, my use of b**** in quotes. My use of the word, and my immediate response to DBAH0 were meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I apologize if my remarks offended anyone, and especially the ladies.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
Well, I think that's sort of the point. Everyone rushed to call her a commie b****--but her boyfriend said stuff that was just as offensive and only half the outrage.

OK, he's an asshole and a commie idiot as well. Happy?

QUOTE(TheBigHurt35 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 06:17 AM)
OK, he's an asshole and a commie idiot as well.  Happy?

The ladies are complaing that she had to be identified as a b****, yet we do not tag an extra identifier on guys in similar situations. It seems like fair criticism to me. You bastard