Wally Backman

Jim Fainter

I just read the 4-7-03 issue of The Sporting News, and they said if JM gets fired before his contract is expired (2004), that Wally is the prime candidate to replace him.

that is great news i would not mind seeing him has head coach atall. in fact i would be so excited to accually have a good coach. that doesnt look blazed in the dugout, and give you the stupid look when he needs to call for plays.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I just read the 4-7-03 issue of The Sporting News, and they said if JM gets fired before his contract is expired (2004), that Wally is the prime candidate to replace him.

well of course he would be the prime, hes next in line..........would be a great move by jr if it happened.........

Backman is going to be a good manager when he finally gets his chance. I feel conflicted here. I'd really like to see Wally stick with us, but I want the Sox to come up big this year. I was a supporter of JM for a long time, but no longer care all that much for him. A typical fickle fan I suppose. :huh:

A typical fickle fan I suppose.  :huh:

Not fickle at all. Fans can only take so much of 2 seasons of sub-par, going-through-the-motions baseball before a change needs to be made. Couple that with the fact that JM has absolutely no clue how to motivate a team (standing with your hands in your back pockets is a great motivator) and has this addiction to constantly f***ing with the line-up card (now we know why we're carrying 3 catchers) and this has made me join the "FIRE JM" group.

The big reason I like Backman is he is my kind of manager, the small ball manager.

Yeah, but do the White Sox have a small ball team?

I am all for JM fired , but Backman is just another JR cheap way out as a manager, Backman will work for peanuts on First job, I see T. Bevington #2 AGAIN and it SUCKS. Get a guy with experience for once.

What makes you think Backman would work for peanuts? He's a former Big Leaguer with other options. He could have left the Sox this year for a coaching job with another Major League team He is very much in demand across the Majors, not a cheap way out.

My concern is does the current Sox personnel match with Wally's style. I think he will be a good manager soon, but I know damn good and well that the first time a guy gets thrown out by five feet because Wally was overagressive that you guys will want to crucify him. His aggressive style makes things happen, but it also creates blunders at times. Some accuse him of running himself out of innings. Others note how he manufactures runs out of nothing. So far, it has worked more often than not for Birmingham.

The big reason I like Backman is he is my kind of manager, the small ball manager. :headbang

I feel the same way you do SI.  I think the Sox will win it all, thats why I believe if they fire JM, they will fire him quickly.

yea but our team cant play small ball, we are not fast enough and we are to stupid on the base paths.

no offense to anyone on this board, but most of you can't go and comment about Backman for the simple fact that you guys haven't seen anything from him. all you know is by what you hear, but nothing visual.

I wouldn't mind Backman coming here, but what basis are you guys going on?

no offense to anyone on this board, but most of you can't go and comment about Backman for the simple fact that you guys haven't seen anything from him.  all you know is by what you hear, but nothing visual.

the fact that he works well with a young team, runs more, has control in the clubhouse, and he also knows how to coach.

no offense to anyone on this board, but most of you can't go and comment about Backman for the simple fact that you guys haven't seen anything from him.  all you know is by what you hear, but nothing visual.

I, for one, can comment on Backman.

The big reason I like Backman is he is my kind of manager, the small ball manager. :headbang

I feel the same way you do SI.  I think the Sox will win it all, thats why I believe if they fire JM, they will fire him quickly.

yea but our team cant play small ball, we are not fast enough and we are to stupid on the base paths.

We have enough guys with decent speed... and maybe, just maybe, Backman would teach some of thiese guys how to use their brains when they are on base.

Me personally if they are going to fire Jerry, I would like to see them bring in someone with the exact opposite style of leadership. If they didn't listen to JM why would they listen to someone else like him? I don't know much about Wally Backman's style, but I think Bobby Valentine would be the man to after.

Some of us older posters actually saw Wally Backman play ball and heard him interviewed so we have an idea what he's like as a person and remember how he played the game. A number of posters here are really on top of the minor league scene and keep folks like me informed about the farm system. So it is possible to get a reasonable opinion of Backman and compare it to the mind numbing Jerry Manuel who seems to regress every year. Honestly I just don't see him as a championship caliber manager compared to say Al Lopez or Tony La Russa. He's becoming more and more like Gene Lamont in 95 with us and during his time with the Pirates. I really think this is as good a year as ever for the White Sox to seize the moment. Jerry Manuel walks, talks and manages like he's on medication.

Me personally if they are going to fire Jerry, I would like to see them bring in someone with the exact opposite style of leadership.  If they didn't listen to JM why would they listen to someone else like him?  I don't know much about Wally Backman's style, but I think Bobby Valentine would be the man to after.

Backman's style is the same as the way he played.

Guest hotsoxchick1

i think thats a pretty fair assessment there rex............how wonderful would it be to have wally up here.......the possibilities are endless.......geez........... if only.............. :D ahhh but one can dream huh........

Guest hotsoxchick1
BRING BACKMAN UP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

F MANUEL  :fyou

im thinking those words have been spoken a few times tonite by many ........... ;)

Here's the thing, if they can them, will the team respond well or will they respond even crappier. You'd have to think Wally knows quite a bit about most of these guys which would be a definate plus.

If I'm in the Chicago Media on the radio or something, I'd be interviewing Josh Stewart and some of the other guys that were recently in Birmingham and ask them a bit about Backman.