Leitao may leave DePaul

I know, I know...Chicago doesn't care much about DePaul...It's the only important coaching vacancy this year...

But I figured I'd throw this out since it's been ruining my otherwise nice sports week with the Sox and Bulls continuing to win...

---

U-Va. Moves Quickly in Pursuit of DePaul's Leitao

Virginia Athletics Director Craig Littlepage yesterday received permission to interview DePaul Coach Dave Leitao and there are indications Cavaliers officials didn't waste much time in meeting with him.

According to flight tracking data, the University of Virginia Foundation's Cessna jet flew from Charlottesville to Norfolk yesterday. Leitao, who is 58-34 in three seasons with the Blue Demons, was attending the Portsmouth Invitational, a basketball tournament of NBA draft hopefuls being held near Norfolk. The U-Va. Foundation plane then flew to Midway Airport in Chicago and returned to Charlottesville.

DePaul sports information director Scott Reed said Blue Demons Athletics Director Jean Lenti Ponsetto granted Littlepage permission to interview Leitao yesterday. Reed said Leitao was on DePaul's campus yesterday afternoon.

Leitao, who turns 44 next month, signed a six-year extension with DePaul last fall and the Chicago Sun-Times reported that the deal included a buyout of as much as $3 million.

Leitao did not return a telephone call seeking comment.

The Cavaliers are seeking a replacement for former coach Pete Gillen, who took a buyout after leading Virginia to only one NCAA tournament appearance in seven seasons.

Before he was hired at DePaul, Leitao was a longtime assistant at Connecticut when current Virginia President John T. Casteen III was president at the school. Leitao was Huskies Coach Jim Calhoun's associate head coach from 1996 to 2002. South Carolina Coach Dave Odom, a former Virginia assistant, remains a candidate for the position and might be Littlepage's top choice. Odom denied a Washington Post report this week that he had been offered the job, but has admitted having interest in the job and said he met with Littlepage during the Final Four in St. Louis.

---

I'm most upset that it may hurt our solid recruiting class by having our mr. michigan recruit to leave with him. I'm not a big fan of DL's motionless offense, but this may put us in a bad position heading into the Big East...

Although I don't give a hoot about DePaul basketball, I think this would be a poor move for Leitao.

Hasn't Leitao been "promised" the UConn job when the incumbent retires? If so, why make a move to a new university where he would have to develop a new recruiting program and such. It appears DePaul is a program on the rise and can obtain some real nice prospects from the city of Chicago; I just don't understand why he would want to move to another school when good things are happening at DePaul.

Naturally, this is all for naught if the UV threw a ton of money at him. He pulled the same crap when he interviewed with St. John's. He got his money out of DePaul, I think he owes it to them to remain there for a least a few more seasons.

The UConn job is his, why budge? Either way, enjoy him while you can DePaul fans, he'll be a Husky in a few years.

The UVA job would be very attractive to alot of folks. They can pay the coach ALOT of money, and they can get Juco's in. They also have a very nice campus to recruit with, and alot of potential recruiting kids to the ACC. I know everyone gets tired of hearing about the ACC, but it still has alot of allure for kids. Alot of people think the UVA program is a sleeping giant. If their new coach whomever it may be, can recruit half as well as the football program right now, they will be in great shape.

That was never really a possiblity, UVA just wanted to throw their money at some top guys and get some pub fully knowing they wouldn't be interested. I think they went after Rick Barnes a little also, both coaches would be absolutely nuts to leave their current posts.