The question so obvious that noone thought to ask

Who would you most like to see in a Bears uniform?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you most like to see in a Bears uniform?

• Alex Smith
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Ronnie Brown
    • Carnell Williams
    • Cedric Benson
    • Braylon Edwards
    • Mike Williams
    • Derrick Johnson
    • Antrel Rolle
    • Other

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay Ill break this down really slow.

In the first round the bears draft a RB.

In the second round the bears draft a wr or te.

The Bears starting line up would be:

Mush, Gage, Wade, Rookie.

4 good quality recievers, with 1 that will get the majority of the balls. A TE who was under utilized.

Our rb would be:

Thomas Jones and rookie.

Hayes,

Nah thats a bad argument. Harrison would just have to be 3x more productive per touch. If we assume a RB gets about 3 yds pc, the WR has to get about 9 ypc.

SB

;)

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
Okay Ill break this down really slow.

In the first round the bears draft a RB.

In the second round the bears draft a wr or te.

The Bears starting line up would be:

Mush, Gage, Wade, Rookie.

4 good quality recievers, with 1 that will get the majority of the balls. A TE who was under utilized.

Our rb would be:

Thomas Jones and rookie.

Hayes,

Nah thats a bad argument. Harrison would just have to be 3x more productive per touch. If we assume a RB gets about 3 yds pc, the WR has to get about 9 ypc.

SB

;)

Ok, let me break this down slow

There is more depth at the RB positon than the WR position in this years draft

I disagree.

There is a chance at more talent in the RB position, if you happen to have the right pick at the right time.

But if the RBs are gone when your pick is up, then that depth does not matter.

Also only time will tell about which position is better, but there are guys like Chris Henry that no one is even talking about. There is less top tier talent RBs, then there are top talent wr.

More wrs will go in the 1st than rbs.

SB

And our RB's last year were responsible for:

1800 yards out of 3200 yards total.

More than 50% of our production came from 1 position, and you do not think we need a top tier back up there.

I disagree.

And 2nd round qbs suck after Campbell. You can get better ones way later that are going to slip through the cracks.

But wr in the 2nd round could be better than rb in the 2nd.

Where as only 3 rb will probably be chosen in the 1st 5 WR could be gone.

Sb

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
And our RB's last year were responsible for:

1800 yards out of 3200 yards total.

More than 50% of our production came from 1 position, and you do not think we need a top tier back up there.

I disagree.

SB

I've said it one hundred times and I will say it again, Thomas Jones can very easily perform like a top tier RB with the revamped OLine, a new 1/2 reciever combo, and a healthy QB

If he can start 14 games next year Fason will be perfectly capable of filling in the other 2.

I'd rather take a chance on having to use a 2nd round RB to fill in for a TJ injury than counting on Bobby Wade to be our #2 wideout.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 02:35 AM)
Hayes,

SB

;)

Still, Chris Brown is better than Marvin Harrison under that calculation (more total yards). Which I don't buy.

I still like a rb, largely b/c I think Berrian and Gage are both promising, while Wade is a good role player. (And Mush is just damn good.) At rb, you have Jones and a black hole. Jones was picked up partially b/c he fit a Terry Shea offense (quick runner, good receiver) -- Turner's offense will be a little different, and it'd be nice to pick up a different type of runner (especially one who's already accomplished so much) to balance the running attack. One thing a power running back does for you -- he's better even without the aerial attack. Look at how important Jamal Lewis has been for Baltimore, despite the chasm at wr they've had.

jackie,

Starting RB's are generally more valuable to a team than a wr in terms of production. RB touches the ball usually atleast 50% of the time.

Harris,

What if Fason is not there?

We already have upgraded our WR corp when we signed Mush. I completely forgot about Berrian who I think is a good wr as well, which will put the Bears into 5-6 wr category if we pick one even in the first or second.

Would you pass up Tomlinson just because you had a productive back?

SB

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 02:54 AM)
jackie,

Starting RB's are generally more valuable to a team than a wr in terms of production. RB touches the ball usually atleast 50% of the time.

All I'm saying (and again, I agree that we should take a rb in the 1st round) is that it depends how good the wr is. He may be a #2 wr this year, but... If the Bears' scouts all agree that they've got the next Terrell Owens (or Marvin Harrison) on their hands, that'd be wrong to pass up. I don't see that, so I'd prefer they go Benson, but I think it's a close call.

Hayes,

I agree.

If we were looking at Andre Johnson, or some WR that was just flat out sick, then yes I would say WR.

But I think we are looking at possibly 3 of the best RB prospects that have come out in a while. Each of them could be one of the top running backs in a few years. To not pick one would hurt the future is my opinion.

Harris,

You never know.

I just think that I would be fine with the Bears picking a WR in round 2. I think that there is a chance that a guy like Clayton or White could slip to us. Also it leaves the possibility of Matt Jones, or Heath Miller if they are available. Not to mention that Reggie Brown, Terrence Murphy, Alex Smith, etc.

Maybe even trade back for a guy like Mathis.

SB

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 03:03 AM)
Hayes,

I agree.

If we were looking at Andre Johnson, or some WR that was just flat out sick, then yes I would say WR.

But I think we are looking at possibly 3 of the best RB prospects that have come out in a while. Each of them could be one of the top running backs in a few years. To not pick one would hurt the future is my opinion.

Completely agree. Btw, I :wub: Andre Johnson. Way to get my vote for poster of the year! :D

Harris, none of the backs you are mentioning are even close to the caliber of Benson. And, if the conditions were the same for Benson and Jones -- just on a hunch, I bet that Benson would rack up more yards than Jones.

I also think we can get a pretty good TE at two. If that Miller kid is still there (out of West Virginia, right?), then that's damn good value in the second round...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 03:28 AM)
I also think we can get a pretty good TE at two.  If that Miller kid is still there (out of West Virginia, right?), then that's damn good value in the second round...

Virginia, not West Virginia. Regardless of who we pick up in the 1st round, that would be a haul.

An interesting topic has been brought up in the thread...whether having depth at RB or WR is more important. Melikey

Personally, I think if you have a great OLine or a great QB...neither of which the Bears have...you can go for a RB in the latter rounds. But I have also thought about it for a while, and I have almost come to the conclusion that they will take a WR.

I constantly think taking the receiver here is the key, but then I realize my very own Bills, who have become a run first offense, drafted a RB in the first round...McGahee...while having a 1300 yard rusher in Henry. Given, that was more for the future, but the pick has looked good so far.

I honestly think it depends. I'm not sure how high on the board Benson is, but IIRC, JA has always been a 40 guy, and with Williams and Brown both having put up better 40s then Benson, I just get completely confused as to why Benson would be higher. But if the power runner thing is right, then I could see why.

s***, I still have my mock to do...f***