Larry Brown to be next Cavs President

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2072213

Next Cavs president? Brown plans to be it

By Chad Ford

ESPN Insider

Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert got one Brown -- new head coach Mike Brown -- added to the payroll in recent days. Will he have another to add in the coming weeks?

Larry Brown has told two league sources that he plans to take the Cavaliers' offer to become their next team president. According to the sources, who spoke to ESPN.com on Monday evening, Brown said he would accept the position after the Pistons' season is over.

Brown is still under contract to Detroit, which trails the Miami Heat 2-1 in the Eastern Conference finals, and sources say he will continue to maintain publicly that he won't decide his future with the Pistons until 72 hours after their season is over. Given that timetable, pressing medical issues, his history of unpredictable decisions, and the fact he can't formally sign a contract with the Cavs until he resigns from his job with the Pistons, Brown's future in the NBA won't be certain until he attends a news conference for the Cavaliers to formally announce his hiring.

ESPN.com talked to a Cavs source who refused to confirm or deny whether Brown had given them an answer.

Reached earlier Monday by The Associated Press as he watched a movie with his daughter, Brown refused comment other than to say: "If I'm healthy, my goal is to be the coach of the Detroit Pistons. That's the only thing that's really real."

In recent days, Brown has said repeatedly that he intends to check into a hospital after the season is over because of a serious medical condition. The condition has developed as a result of midseason hip surgery he underwent, and Brown wants a medical evaluation. However, sources maintain that while Brown's medical condition might keep him from coaching again, they do not believe it is serious enough to keep him from working as a team president.

Still, the sources claim that Cavaliers ownership pushed Brown to give them an answer this weekend before they lost out on other top candidates for the job. After hearing Larry Brown's answer, events leading to Mike Brown's hire were set in motion.

Pacers senior vice president David Morway, who had been the frontrunner to get the Cavaliers' GM position before Cleveland began flirting with Brown, had given ownership until Monday evening to make a decision before he had to withdraw from consideration. On Monday, Morway found out that the Cavs were going in another direction.

"I'm in a great situation in Indiana working for Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird, and have no desire to leave unless an unbelievable opportunity came along," Morway told ESPN.com. "When I first interviewed, I was told that the general manager position would have full authority over basketball-related decisions and report directly to ownership.

"However, over the course of the last week, they indicated that they were exploring hiring a high-profile team president that would have full control of all basketball decisions. After talking with ownership, it appears that's the direction they are going and as a result, I am no longer a candidate for the GM position.

"I appreciate the interest they showed in me and wish them the best of luck in the future."

Morway refused to confirm or deny that Brown was being targeted for hire by the Cavs.

Signs, however, are everywhere that Brown is coming aboard. Newly hired head coach Mike Brown is the protégé of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, a close friend and confidant of Larry Brown.

Mike Brown also has reportedly contacted Randy Ayers, a former Larry Brown assistant and former coach of the Sixers, about an assistant coach's position.

The Cavs also recently interviewed Wizards director of player personnel Milt Newton for the vacant GM position. Newton played for Brown at Kansas and is another close friend who might be targeted to take over the day-to-day operations of the Cavs.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ May 30, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)
Larry is the rambling man. He's a genius in basketball, but irritates the hell out of me with his constant moving around.

He is the same casell of coaches. His players have never down a thing wrong or commited a foul. He has basically said the same thing van gundy did about the refs ( but nightly) and no one mentions anything because he is the almighty larry brown.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 30, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
He is the same caseel of coaches. His players have never down a thing wrong or commited a foul. He has basically said the same thing van gundy  did about the refs ( but nightly) and no one mentions anything because he is the almighty larry brown.

caseel?

Anyways, I'm shocked he took this long to go to a new team...

Edit: Oh, i get it. I think same caseel = sam cassell. :unsure:

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

a major distraction for the pistons is coming. what a terrible time to announce this, but pistons suck so it doesnt matter :headbang

The Pistons are far from sucking, even so Im not sure this is going to distract them too much.. He is still coaching them right now and is committed to that

Even as a UNC fan I can't defend him anymore. I'm as sick about this as anyone, he said he would retire in Detroit. Silly me for believing him. Thank God he didn't take over the UNC job like it was planned before Roy came to the rescue, we would have been without a coach again in 2 years tops.

Okay guys, first off he isn't coaching anymore after this season. He has a goddamn hip problem that he can't deal with anymore. He's taking a front office job with a team. Secondly, the reason he has to accept it now is because the draft is a week at most from the NBA Finals. They need to get everything in place now so they know what direction they(CLE) are going in and what Brown wants to do in terms of bringing in personel. They have to do it now. Plus there was a guy in the Pacers organization who had to know by tonight because he was told that by Pacers officials(he was also up for the job).

So don't be so damn quick to jump on the guy.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 31, 2005 -> 06:38 AM)
Okay guys, first off he isn't coaching anymore after this season. He has a goddamn hip problem that he can't deal with anymore.

Okay, but why do I get the feeling that we'll see him coaching the Cavs before long? Why is this dude always bailing on gigs? Hip problem or not, the guy is a monumental flake.

Okay, but why do I get the feeling that we'll see him coaching the Cavs before long?  Why is this dude always bailing on gigs?  Hip problem or not, the guy is a monumental flake.

I just read on CBSSportsline this morning that he is refuting the reports and insists he wants to coach Detroit next season.. So I dont know, I still think he is going to Cleveland but I was just lettin you guys know what I saw this morning..

I just read on CBSSportsline this morning that he is refuting the reports and insists he wants to coach Detroit next season.. So I dont know, I still think he is going to Cleveland but I was just lettin you guys know what I saw this morning..

It definitely wouldn't be the first time Chad Ford got something wrong... I'll wait to see what happens before I bash him anymore. If he stays in Detroit then I apologize for calling him a liar. We will see.

It definitely wouldn't be the first time Chad Ford got something wrong... I'll wait to see what happens before I bash him anymore. If he stays in Detroit then I apologize for calling him a liar. We will see.

Very true but how many times have you seen someone refute reports only to have them actually be true so we will just have to wait and see..

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ May 31, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)

How is he a liar? The man has hip problems. He isn't going into another coaching job. Also, if he was coaching at another place(not that he is) Detroit as a franchise should've known he was leaving sooner rather than later. That's his MO. He'll fix up a team and leave. If you thought he was going to stay longer, you've fooled yourself.

How is he a liar? The man has hip problems. He isn't going into another coaching job. Also, if he was coaching at another place(not that he is) Detroit as a franchise should've known he was leaving sooner rather than later. That's his MO. He'll fix up a team and leave. If you thought he was going to stay longer, you've fooled yourself.

Ok so let me get this straight, first you question me calling him a liar, then you move on to explain that its ok that he lied because its his MO. Then you question how I could have believed he spoke the truth. Oook then.