Time to revisit the attendance concerns

sox-r-us

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
the sox have s*** attendence learn to live with it...  what difference does it make???  the only thing that matters are the nine guys on the field... if you ever end up going to sox park you will find out it is a great place with 20k...  if the sox started drawing 40k a game I would probably stop going...  and if you think the $$ that 40k a game would bring in would go toward new "talent" you're nuts.. those profits are going into jerry's and his investors pockets......

All of the numbers indicate 180 degrees the opposite of your line of thinking. The Sox have operated for years at putting all increases in revenue into attendance the next season. Go back and compare their profit numbers in Forbes magazine for the last few years, and then compare their increases in payroll. They are almost dollar for dollar exactly the same.

The myth of the money pocketing Reinsdorf needs to go away like the myths of the Unicorns, and intelligent Cubs fans... None of them actually exsist.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 04:39 AM)
Ask Metra.. it's got nothing to do with the Sox.

Yeah, and the Metra is government owned. They lose tons of money each year, so I doubt you'll see that stop. Plus you may be able to take it to games, but you won't be able to take it back if there's extra innings or the game ends at 10:30 unless you want to run your ass over there or you have a monthly ticket. Anyway, Metra most likely won't spend their own money(the government's/taxpayers if you want to be technical about it) to put another stop. That means they would also have to play employees more for service.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
That is not a good arguement. More fans in the park = more $ the club can spend on payroll.

Personally, I love going to a game when I know it's going to be packed. Besides, even though they are professional and get paid for it, players want a full house as well.

Do you think they get up the same for an April afternoon game against the Royals when there might be 6000 fans there vs. a packed house against the Twins, Cubs, Red Sox, Yanks?

I'm not complaining about attendance, but the atmosphere in the park does affect the players.

:cheers

I'm the same way. I think it gives the players more energy and better energy. Why do you think the players get up more for Twins, Cubs, Yanks, Red Sox?? Probably because they know it'll be a sellout crowd and the players do draw energy from that. Gives them that extra "uump" in their swing and pitches. Just like at basketball games. If you're playing in front of a sellout crowd, it gives you more energy and it seems like you can't get tired.

I love packed houses. I don't like hearing myself when cheering on a HR.

I won't complain since I also can't go.

It to me is sad though that people in Chicago don't want to see the good team, our Sox, play and XXXX the Flubs. I mean we had a lot of Sox fans in Wrigley for that series.

I'm just surprised more don't come out. You'd think the Sox would do a quick scientific survey using some company to get the true reasons why we don't draw 30,000 a night. I guess it's all in the one word, Cubs, but not to beat a dead horse, but Old Comiskey was pretty full from June 1 til late August near the end of its life when the Sox had a good team. I say do a scientific survey. Hell there could be zillions of people afraid because of the random bullet incident that one year.

Yet they'll go to wrigley where bricks are falling.