61st Anniversary of Normandy Invasion

Soxy

Article on activities there.

Normandy Prepares for D-Day Anniversary

By FREDERIC VEILLE, Associated Press Writer 3 minutes ago

SAINTE-MERE-EGLISE, France - World War II veterans and dignitaries were gathering in Normandy for ceremonies Monday to honor the sacrifices of Allied soldiers who died in the D-Day landings 61 years ago.

Dozens of ceremonies were planned to commemorate those who fought and died on the five blood-soaked beaches during the June 6, 1944, siege that marked the beginning of the end of the Nazi regime.

French and American officials planned a tribute with a church choir and band at the Normandy American cemetery in the town of Colleville-sur-Mer, where 9,387 fallen U.S. fighters are buried. Parades, wreath-laying ceremonies and concerts were scheduled in many towns and villages in a region.

Rain led officials to cancel plans Sunday for some 150 military parachutists to drop into the town of Sainte-Mere-Eglise, a commemoration that was to include Germans for the first time. The town was the first liberated by U.S. forces in Normandy.

Hoping to strike a spirit of unity, Mayor Marc Lefevre invited about 40 German parachutists to take part — but building support for his idea was not easy in his town.

"Many people asked me what was going through my head," Lefevre said. "We need to know how to turn the page, and welcome the Germans without rancor."

Hundreds of spectators, including some World War II veterans, peered skyward in anticipation of the jumps before organizers called them off.

"It's always moving to see this," said 82-year-old spectator Shifty Power from Virginia who parachuted in on D-Day with the U.S. Army's 101st Airborne Division. "It's good for Germans also to take part — it's important for peace in the world."

About 156,000 Allied soldiers — mostly American, British and Canadian — took part in the invasion, storming in from the English Channel and opening a Western front against the Nazis.

:pray For all of those that sacrificied, and continue to sacrifice, in the name of peace and the ending of oppression.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 06:15 AM)
:usa thanks to everyone who sacrificed that day.  Reading and watching stuff about Dday is just mind boggling.  The amount of work and planning that went into that, and we still managed to surprise them is just incredible.

My great uncle, who passed recently, was on Normandy. Some very scary, but interesting stories about it. I can't imagine how terrifying it must have been.

He said that the initial invasion was supposed to be the day earlier, but the weather prevented it. He also said a few people went ahead the day before, before it was cancelled (intelligence, front line types)--sounded like most didn't make it. Hats off to all of those who fought in that one. :usa :canada :uk

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
My great uncle, who passed recently, was on Normandy. Some very scary, but interesting stories about it. I can't imagine how terrifying it must have been.

He said that the initial invasion was supposed to be the day earlier, but the weather prevented it. He also said a few people went ahead the day before, before it was cancelled (intelligence, front line types)--sounded like most didn't make it. Hats off to all of those who fought in that one.  :usa  :canada  :uk

Brian's uncle was there as well. My grandfather trained soldiers whereas his brothers were in action (as well as my gramma's brothers - one was shot down and was a POW for sometime - he died of cancer from the shrapnel that wasn't removed).

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)

He said that the initial invasion was supposed to be the day earlier, but the weather prevented it. He also said a few people went ahead the day before, before it was cancelled (intelligence, front line types)--sounded like most didn't make it. Hats off to all of those who fought in that one.  :usa  :canada  :uk

I know the death rates from some of the groups was near 100%, it was suicide for many of them.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
I know the death rates from some of the groups was near 100%, it was suicide for many of them.

I was talking with Brian about that the other day. I have nothing but respect for those people. I just don't understand how they could knowing they were going to die, that takes alotta courage and determination.