Broadway Moves to Chicago

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)
...as well as Jon Garland, Neal Cotts, and to a lesser extent, Willie Harris and Joe Crede (like it or not).  There's some good homegrown talent on this team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all three of those guys were not drafted by the Sox.

However, I suppose they came up through our system.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all three of those guys were not drafted by the Sox.

However, I suppose they came up through our system.

Well, Garland was acquired when he was in Low-A, Cotts had limited if-any AA experience. Harris was near-MLB-ready. Crede was fully home-grown, Buehrle also. Rowand also.

Again, the likes of McCarthy, Rogowski, Chris Young, Sweeney, Anderson, Pedro Lopez, Andy Gonzalez, Wes Whisler, Bobby Jenks, Lumsden, Liotta, Gio, Robert Valido, etc etc form the base for a VERY solid organization that if nothing else, has a lot of in-demand talent that could bring very good plays in via trade (such as the Garcia deal)...

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
I figure you get more value for pitchers so why not draft pitcher heavy and then deal the excess for help at positions, plus the Sox obviously have a stockpile at the OF position right now and they have some young toolsy infielders already.  I'm not saying the infielders are great, but I do love the pickup of Getz (flat can handle the bat...seems like he has the potential to be a really good 2 hole hitter). 

And catchers are a crapshoot, they'll probably draft another, but they have two very raw once as it is in Francisco and Lucy.  Lucy should be back pretty quick, in fact I thought Randar said he was activated and while Lucy didn't impress offensively he's got better tools than any of today's picks (that were catchers).  Clement is god awful when it comes to throwing and he isn't much better at blocking.  He did make a lot of strides this year, but I have my doubts. 

I'm speaking pure physical ability though and he's definately more raw.  The best "catcher" in the draft was Teagarden (or however the hell you spell it).  The reason I say catcher is because I think defense when I think catcher and offense is a plus.  Teagarden has some offensive tools but he's a stud defensively. 

Hell I like the catcher out of Illinois (robinson) more than I like Clement.  Once again if were talking catcher.

Yep, Teagarden and Robinson were my 2 favorited catchers. I think Clement is going to end up at 1st base, JMO. Teagarden is better defensively (in terms of leadership and game-calling type skills) and has a slightly more-projectible bat than Robinson. Either would have been GREAT 3rd round picks, but yeah, Teagarden is going to be a tough sign as a Junior and having Boras as his agent.

Lucy is an exceptional athlete behind the plate and has top-notch receiving skills. Will he hit? Again, you can't draw conclusions yea or nea from the Pioneer League. Nanita hit .400 for example. We'll just have to keep an eye on him this year and see how he progresses. Same with Fransisco Hernandez (been turning it around at the plate the last couple weeks)

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
Well, Garland was acquired when he was in Low-A, Cotts had limited if-any AA experience.  Harris was near-MLB-ready.  Crede was fully home-grown, Buehrle also.  Rowand also.

Again, the likes of McCarthy, Rogowski, Chris Young, Sweeney, Anderson, Pedro Lopez, Andy Gonzalez, Wes Whisler, Bobby Jenks, Lumsden, Liotta, Gio, Robert Valido, etc etc form the base for a VERY solid organization that if nothing else, has a lot of in-demand talent that could bring very good plays in via trade (such as the Garcia deal)...

Harris was a bad example, but I was sort of leaning towards (with Garland and Cotts) that we basically developed these guys ourselves...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
Harris was a bad example, but I was sort of leaning towards (with Garland and Cotts) that we basically developed these guys ourselves...

Didnt we develop Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez too.... both great players.. :crying

and than there is Kip Wells and Josh Fogg too.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)

I'm with ya. Although last night Cotts looked like a freaking STUD! He's so good when he works fast and challenges hitters.

Edited by Randar68

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
I'm with ya.  Although last night Cotts looked like a freaking STUD!  He's so good when he works fast and challenges hitters.

No one can hit his fastball. If he learns to paint that pitch wherever he wants it (and he's getting better), he's going to be a real tough pitcher. Hell, he's even throwing a decent offspeed pitch (can't tell what it is, changeup, slider, curve?), but that fastball just blows hitters away.