SALARY CAP AGREED ON FOR NHL!

The money was used for a faceoff man in Brown, a grinding forward in Barnaby, and a Stanley Cup winning defenseman in Jassen Cullimore. Some of that money also went to sign UNDRAFTED Rene Bourque who became the AHL rookie of the year with 61 points. The money is being well spent and with Mike Smith gone all this team will do is get better. Look, if you can't be happy about the up and comers like Ruutu, Bell, Vandermeer, Babchuk, Bourque, Fraser, Barker, and Seabrook, theres more to list, then you obviously have looked past the rebuilding the team has done. Really, the team's rebuilding was set back by a poor GM in Mike Smith. Some of the right people are in place now and I can't wait to watch this unfold. Solid goaltending is also waiting in the minors in Anderson, Leighton, and Brodeur. Calling you a fair weather fan had something to do with this

I will be a Hawks fan again when
. Not a jab at you, just the way it sounded.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 04:45 AM)
I agree that they aren't better as players but at least money isin't an issue in the minors and they are focused on winning hockey games.  I am no longer a Hawks fan because I'm sick of Bill Wirtz screwing the fans over year after year.  That's the crux of my argument.

When I refer to Hawks management BTW, I'm talking about Wirtz and his yes-man Pulford.  They have all the control over what happens in Hawkdom.

Well, that's fine. You'll get no argument from me on Wirtz and Pully.

Either way, I'll continue to go to Hawks games. Why? AHL games aren't nearly as good. The Wolves are a show, not a hockey game -- IMO, of course. I get into the Hawks games for $8 bucks, so money ain't a big issue for me (at least, for the next five years). And like I said, I enjoy watching this team. I'm lukewarm on Sutter, but I love watching Ruutu and Bell and Calder and Arny. And hopefully, in the next couple of years, guys like Dave Bolland and Dustin Byfuglian and Brent Seabrook and Barker...

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 10:50 PM)
The money was used for a faceoff man in Brown, a grinding forward in Barnaby, and a Stanley Cup winning defenseman in Jassen Cullimore.  Some of that money also went to sign UNDRAFTED Rene Bourque who became the AHL rookie of the year with 61 points.  The money is being well spent and with Mike Smith gone all this team will do is get better.  Look, if you can't be happy about the up and comers like Ruutu, Bell, Vandermeer, Babchuk, Bourque, Fraser, Barker, and Seabrook, theres more to list, then you obviously have looked past the rebuilding the team has done.  Really, the team's rebuilding was set back by a poor GM in Mike Smith.  Some of the right people are in place now and I can't wait to watch this unfold.  Solid goaltending is also waiting in the minors in Anderson, Leighton, and Brodeur.  Calling you a fair weather fan had something to do with this  .  Not a jab at you, just the way it sounded.

Its all good. Maybe they will get better as the rooks develop and maybe they won't. I would never take a swipe at any of the rooks because I had a chance to watch a lot of em play 2 years ago and they defenitely showed flashes of brilliance. I think we misunderstood each other here a little bit but the death of the Hawks is a really sore subject with me and when I hear about Blackhawk hockey the first thing that comes to mind is Wirtz and I tend to start ranting.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 04:54 AM)
Its all good.  Maybe they will get better as the rooks develop and maybe they won't.  I would never take a swipe at any of the rooks because I had a chance to watch a lot of em play 2 years ago and they defenitely showed flashes of brilliance.  I think we misunderstood each other here a little bit but the death of the Hawks is a really sore subject with me and when I hear about Blackhawk hockey the first thing that comes to mind is Wirtz and I tend to start ranting.

We're all good, Wirtz sucks, Pully's a b****, but the kids are looking good -- and Tallon has done a halfway decent job so far. :cheers :)

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 9, 2005 -> 10:54 PM)
Its all good.  Maybe they will get better as the rooks develop and maybe they won't.  I would never take a swipe at any of the rooks because I had a chance to watch a lot of em play 2 years ago and they defenitely showed flashes of brilliance.  I think we misunderstood each other here a little bit but the death of the Hawks is a really sore subject with me and when I hear about Blackhawk hockey the first thing that comes to mind is Wirtz and I tend to start ranting.

YES :notworthy, I as well dislike Wirtz and Pully but the rest of the organization is tolerable and actually hockey happens to be the sport I follow most. This really hit close to home as my family has had season tickets for 30 years, wayyy before I was born and I usually go to about 20 games or so and the lockout really hit close to home. I really do actually have confidence in Tallon and can't wait for the next season.

I saw a note in todays Minneapolis Star Tribune. Dwyane Roloson, the MN Wild Player Rep, said:

"Now it's just a matter of trying to work out the final numbers," Roloson said. "Finding out the higher end and the lower end. ... I always felt the season would start on time. Now it seems inevitable. You look at the work that has been done over the last month, month and a half. It's been like a snowball effect. Now the momentum is there, for sure. Momentum to carry over that should get a deal done."

here is the full article (you may need to sign up, but its free and a decent paper)

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1330/5449524.html

Yesterday, some of the details were brought back through the ranks... note the "internal discussions" in the news media.

Today they go back in and let each other know what the rank and file are saying on both sides.

From what I hear, much like bench said above, it's a matter of details as opposed to philosphy now, and that's terrific news for NHL fans (and those who make a few bucks on the side off of it... hehe)

I'd like to see them eliminate the red line and enforce pad rules for goalies. Those changes would make the game better and make it more comparable to the more exciting international game.

I'm also waiting to hear what they are doing for the 2005 draft. If the Hawks could get Crosby then we'd be in business.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)
I'd like to see them eliminate the red line and enforce pad rules for goalies.  Those changes would make the game better and make it more comparable to the more exciting international game.

I'm also waiting to hear what they are doing for the 2005 draft.  If the Hawks could get Crosby then we'd be in business.

Agreed with everything.

As far as Crosby... :droolsmiley

now that they have a cap, the only things left to do to fix hockey are smaller goalie pads, bigger ice, more area behind the net, and to contract unnecessary teams (Florida Panthers, Atlanta Thrashers, and Anaheim Mighty Ducks to name three. seriously, do you need 2 hockey teams in the Los Angeles area?).

They are not contracting. Neither the player's union (less jobs) nor the owners (less revenue in the overall pot) will let that happen - at least in the short term.

And Atlanta and Florida WILL make the playoffs next year. Count on it.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
now that they have a cap, the only things left to do to fix hockey are smaller goalie pads, bigger ice, more area behind the net, and to contract unnecessary teams (Florida Panthers, Atlanta Thrashers, and Anaheim Mighty Ducks to name three.  seriously, do you need 2 hockey teams in the Los Angeles area?).

I agree with bigger ice and MAYBE the goalie pads. A bigger net is beyond stupidity, and I don't see why we have to mess with a bigger redline. We played 75+ years with one and now it needs to go? I don't like it. I COMPLETELY agree with the contraction but the teams that need to go are FLA, Atlanta, ANA, Columbus and Nashville. These teams leave the talent pool very watered down. But It will NOT happen and I agree with kapko that Florida and Atlanta make the playoffs. Barring injuries to Luongo, Heatley, Stefan, and Bouwmeester. Also, I think my Blackhawks may challenge for the 8 spot.

Keith, I'll almost guarantee that either LA, NYR, or Toronto snag Crosby. Reason, I think the NHL will do everything possible to have on of these top market teams get him and market him right away. Basically to the whole hockey situation :fyou Bettman.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 06:16 PM)
They are not contracting.  Neither the player's union (less jobs) nor the owners (less revenue in the overall pot) will let that happen - at least in the short term.

And Atlanta and Florida WILL make the playoffs next year.  Count on it.

I'm just saying they should. the quality of play is better with less teams (as more players who could cut it with 30 teams are left in the minors with 25) and those aren't really sports towns. nobody goes to any games of any sport in Atlanta and Miami, so why have hockey teams there? and with the LA Kings, why have the Mighty Ducks 40 miles away? and don't get me started on the Mighty Ducks, even though they made the Stanley Cup Finals 2 years ago they are a team based on a Disney movie. less teams is better for the game is what I think.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 01:32 AM)
I'm just saying they should.  the quality of play is better with less teams (as more players who could cut it with 30 teams are left in the minors with 25) and those aren't really sports towns.  nobody goes to any games of any sport in Atlanta and Miami, so why have hockey teams there?  and with the LA Kings, why have the Mighty Ducks 40 miles away?  and don't get me started on the Mighty Ducks, even though they made the Stanley Cup Finals 2 years ago they are a team based on a Disney movie.  less teams is better for the game is what I think.

I think you will see a name change with the new ownership announced today for the Mighty Ducks.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Jun 16, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
So you think it's gonna be fixed to??

I say the Rangers because they have been pitiful the last three years, and that's the only team out of the Original 6 (or big markets) that would be "legit" in a "lottery".

Plus (this is speculative on my part) after seeing how the Cap is going to work, they are going to be one of the only ones of the mediocre teams that will have some money to throw at him.