Some observations

fathom

- As I mentioned in another thread, the main reason that Hermanson has lost his effectiveness is because he has no command of his splitter now. He was dynamite with that pitch up until about two weeks ago, and now he looks like he has totally lost his release point in the pitch. An 89 mph fastball with poor command of your splitter will equate to tough times on the mound (allowing runs in 5 of last 7 appearances is a bad sign for a closer).

- Our hitters have to get bet at fighting off tough pitches and not being such easy outs on 3-2 pitches. Nearly every single Sox hitter is totally off-balanced if the opposing pitcher throws an offspeed pitch on a 3-2 pitch. They all act like they're shocked they didn't see a fastball. If someone like myself can notice this pattern, I guarantee you that opposing scouting reports say the same exact thing. Our hitters need to be able to foul off a tough pitch in that situation, and see if they can get a better pitch to hit on the next pitch. Tonight was a pathetic display of hitting with a 3-2 count by our hitters.

- Too many hitters are taking strikes right down the plate, but then swinging at balls off the plate when they get down in the count.

- PK and Uribe need to make some adjustments at the plate. PK has become almost a dead pull hitter, and it has greatly diminished the ability he used to have to be a tough out and line drive hitter. His K rate is way up, and it seems like he hits two weak grounders to the left side every game. Also, Uribe has been in a massive slump for over a month now. He's pulling off every pitch, and it has resulted in the typical Uribe weak pop up to the 2nd baseman (used to be known as the Graffanino special). You can tell the scouting reports say fastball inside to Uribe, and then drop the offspeed pitch low and outside to get him off-balanced. Uribe's a very streaky hitter, but on a team with other guys that aren't exactly overachieving on the offensive end, we can't afford to have such an easy out in the lineup. I'm also intrigued by Crede's recent effort, as he's staying on the ball a lot better than he was. If anything, the performance this week by our 3rd basemen (Crede and Ozuna) showed me that Crede is likely here to stay at 3b for the entire season. HIs defense at 3b is too valuable.

- Also, the Phillies are playing great ball now. No way will they be trading Billy Wagner. Guardado would be a solid fit, but I have a feeling the Mariners will ask for a lot. We need some help in the bullpen though. Too many guys either are lacking confidence in the pen or they're showing signs of physical fatigue/ineffectiveness.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 04:03 AM)
- Our hitters have to get bet at fighting off tough pitches and not being such easy outs on 3-2 pitches.  Nearly every single Sox hitter is totally off-balanced if the opposing pitcher throws an offspeed pitch on a 3-2 pitch.  They all act like they're shocked they didn't see a fastball.  If someone like myself can notice this pattern, I guarantee you that opposing scouting reports say the same exact thing.  Our hitters need to be able to foul off a tough pitch in that situation, and see if they can get a better pitch to hit on the next pitch.  Tonight was a pathetic display of hitting with a 3-2 count by our hitters.

- Too many hitters are taking strikes right down the plate, but then swinging at balls off the plate when they get down in the count.

- Also, the Phillies are playing great ball now.  No way will they be trading Billy Wagner.  Guardado would be a solid fit, but I have a feeling the Mariners will ask for a lot.  We need some help in the bullpen though.  Too many guys either are lacking confidence in the pen or they're showing signs of physical fatigue/ineffectiveness.

Konerko, rowand, and dye are easily the best at looking at fastballs down the middle then following to up with a strike out on a low slider away. If they don't end up striking out it's just a weak grounder.

Guardado has a full no trade clause and i don't know if he would be willing to come here ( really cannot see why not) but it is something to consider.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
Jeff Bajenaru. There you go I've said it.

How did Baj perform in ST? I still think that he didn't exactly impress Ozzie last season, and he'll have a difficult time getting a call-up without an injury to a reliever. Is Baj really the long-term answer to our relief problem for the stretch run this season?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 04:34 AM)
How did Baj perform in ST?  I still think that he didn't exactly impress Ozzie last season, and he'll have a difficult time getting a call-up without an injury to a reliever.  Is Baj really the long-term answer to our relief problem for the stretch run this season?

Gave up one run in three innings i believe. The second question you asked i am guessing would be a no.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
How did Baj perform in ST?  I still think that he didn't exactly impress Ozzie last season, and he'll have a difficult time getting a call-up without an injury to a reliever.  Is Baj really the long-term answer to our relief problem for the stretch run this season?

I can't recall how he did in ST actually. But even last year when he was gettin hit in September, a lot of them were bloop singles and unlucky hits etc. IIRC, but I could be wrong on that. But still the fact remains;

Baj - 1-1, 0.85 ERA, 35 K's, 15 BB's.

Kevin Walker - 0-1, 5.17 ERA, 20 K's, 10 BB's.

If we call up another reliever, do not use this stupid excuse that it was Walker because "He is a lefty". He can't even get lefties out. Baj has the numbers on the board in AAA, and that has to count for something.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 07:36 PM)
Gave up one run in three innings i believe. The second question you asked i am guessing would be a no.

He's not going to save our bullpen, if that's the line of thinking. But he deserves a chance in a Major League Bullpen somewhere, and I'm starying to get the feeling, it may not be with us. :ph34r:

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)
I can't recall how he did in ST actually. But even last year when he was gettin hit in September, a lot of them were bloop singles and unlucky hits etc. IIRC, but I could be wrong on that. But still the fact remains;

Baj - 1-1, 0.85 ERA, 35 K's, 15 BB's.

Kevin Walker - 0-1, 5.17 ERA, 20 K's, 10 BB's.

If we call up another reliever, do not use this stupid excuse that it was Walker because "He is a lefty". He can't even get lefties out. Baj has the numbers on the board in AAA, and that has to count for something.

Walker should never be brought up to the major league team. It's obvious that he doesn't have good stuff or command anymore.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
Walker should never be brought up to the major league team.  It's obvious that he doesn't have good stuff or command anymore.

Well when Marte got injured, the thinking was from the Sox Brass that Walker could get called up if Marte went to the DL because "He's a Lefty". That's BS.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 04:41 AM)
He's not going to save our bullpen, if that's the line of thinking. But he deserves a chance in a Major League Bullpen somewhere, and I'm starying to get the feeling, it may not be with us.  :ph34r:

Then he will turn into gary majewski.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
He's not going to save our bullpen, if that's the line of thinking. But he deserves a chance in a Major League Bullpen somewhere, and I'm starying to get the feeling, it may not be with us.  :ph34r:

Baj doesn't strike me as the type of guy that Ozzie would be willing to take a chance on. Ozzie seems to like to trust his veterans. Only way Baj gets called up is if one of our relievers go on the DL.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
Well when Marte got injured, the thinking was from the Sox Brass that Walker could get called up if Marte went to the DL because "He's a Lefty". That's BS.

Well....that's cause some of the people making personnel decisions aren't too bright.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
Then he will turn into gary majewski.

And that wouldn't suprise me at all. There's so many teams out there looking for bullpen help anywhere, that there'll be some teams at the deadline inquiring about Baj.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
Baj doesn't strike me as the type of guy that Ozzie would be willing to take a chance on.  Ozzie seems to like to trust his veterans.  Only way Baj gets called up is if one of our relievers go on the DL.

Which in other words means "It ain't gonna happen". Hell, they'd probably give Adkins a shot before Baj.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 04:44 AM)
And that wouldn't suprise me at all. There's so many teams out there looking for bullpen help anywhere, that there'll be some teams at the deadline inquiring about Baj.

You are not looking at the bright side of things though... we will still have vizcaino and shingo.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
You are not looking at the bright side of things though... we will still have vizcaino and shingo.

Hey you :wub: Vizcaino going into this season because of his splits against lefties. :P :lol:

A simple statement that everyone seems to forget about when discussing trades was the one made by Ozzie where he said he doesn't want to make any changes to this team. As scary as it sounds, I have a feeling that Ozzie is buying into our record as an overall representation of our team's ability. Again, I'm thrilled with our record, but Ozzie and/or KW are nuts if they think this particular team is good enough to compete for the World Series.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
Hey you  :wub: Vizcaino going into this season because of his splits against lefties.  :P  :lol:

Yeah, a lot of us were before Viz got slider happy. I remember when he used to throw a splitter/change-up to lefty batters. I can't recall seeing that pitch at all this season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 04:46 AM)
Hey you  :wub: Vizcaino going into this season because of his splits against lefties.  :P  :lol:

He has always dominated lefties, it's not my fault he has done the exact opposite this season. I don't believe i loved him either... i thought he was passable.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 04:49 AM)
He has always dominated lefties, it's not my fault he has done the exact opposite this season. I don't believe i loved him either... i thought he was passable.

he didn't seem like an ideal choice to upgrade the bullpen, but he was better than what we had.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
he didn't seem like an ideal choice to upgrade the bullpen, but he was better than what we had.

Don't forget, we had everyone in the Sox PR department (which means KW, Ozzie, and especially Hawk and DJ) telling us how great Vizcaino was and was going to be possibly to try and justify why they would trade Carlos Lee for Viz and Pods. Considering that Vizcaino had a simply awful season in 2003, he was definitely not the star that he was made out to be coming to the Sox.

Sox need another bullpen arm. What about this lefty Perisho that was designated by Florida, has someone picked him up? Seems to me he was pitching pretty well down there.

It might be Bajenaru, he is still pitching well. Looks to me like Hermanson needs a couple of days off. The home run pitch was crushed, the next hit was a bloop but the last base hit was pretty well smoked. It was bound to happen but you cannot expect to win when you just score one run.

On the Konerko play at the plate, it was bang bang and since the throw beat him by 10 feet I'm not surprised he was called out. The ump was in proper position as well. Either way someone would have been hot under the collar, Konerko or the Padres.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 12, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
Sox need another bullpen arm.  What about this lefty Perisho that was designated by Florida, has someone picked him up?  Seems to me he was pitching pretty well down there.

It might be Bajenaru, he is still pitching well.  Looks to me like Hermanson needs a couple of days off.  The home run pitch was crushed, the next hit was a bloop but the last base hit was pretty well smoked.  It was bound to happen but you cannot expect to win when you just score one run.

On the Konerko play at the plate, it was bang bang and since the throw beat him by 10 feet I'm not surprised he was called out.  The ump was in proper position as well.  Either way someone would have been hot under the collar, Konerko or the Padres.

On Perisho we do have an open spot on the 40 man roster. A guy with a 2-0 record with a 1.93 ERA in 24 outings;

NAME GAME: Florida Marlins players were stunned when popular left-handed reliever Matt Perisho was designated for assignment despite a 2-0 record and 1.93 ERA in a team-high 24 outings.

''Hopefully, I wasn't the cause of the 1-6 road trip,'' Perisho said facetiously. ''They didn't send any hitters down, so it must be the pitchers' fault.''

Perisho was doubly upset after manager Jack McKeon summoned him to break the news and began the conversation by saying, ''Sit down, Mike.''

''I pitched in 90 games for him,'' Perisho said, ''and you can't even look me in the eyes and call me by my name?''

A two strike pitch of some type in the dirt seems to get a lot of our hitters this year. They do seem to take more pitches, which can be both good and bad. On one hand they let a good fastball down the middle go right by them, and then work the count and strike out on a pitch in the dirt. But they make good pitchers throw a lot of pitches which lets us get into the other teams bullpen by the 6th or 7th inning. Last night was pretty distressing though when we have runners on 1st and 3rd with no outs and K three times.

I am not a big leagure player, so I am not going to second guess our hitters or the manager, but I am sure waiting to see what happens when the Big Hurt can get back in there at DH full-time.