KC Radio Guys

BigSqwert

So I'm working in Kansas City until Wednesday. The hotel I'm staying at doesn't carry the network that carries the Royals games so I'm forced to listen to AM 810 radio. These guys were annoying the heck out of me. They kept bringing up the atttendance of Comiskey and how much better Wrigley draws. The one guy even said something like "Well you really can't blame people for not coming to this park. It's not in one of the best neighborhoods." What a bunch of tools. Enjoy the AL basement with your crappy team.

:finger

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 07:54 AM)
So I'm working in Kansas City until Wednesday.  The hotel I'm staying at doesn't carry the network that carries the Royals games so I'm forced to listen to AM 810 radio.  These guys were annoying the heck out of me.  They kept bringing up the atttendance of Comiskey and how much better Wrigley draws.  The one guy even said something like "Well you really can't blame people for not coming to this park.  It's not in one of the best neighborhoods."  What a bunch of tools.  Enjoy the AL basement with your crappy team.

:finger

not sure what else they said, but everything that you put in your post that they said (wrigley drawing more, not the best of neighborhoods) is exactly right. stop taking it so personally. those two things that you brought up are facts. its the damn truth, just accept it

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
not sure what else they said, but everything that you put in your post that they said (wrigley drawing more, not the best of neighborhoods) is exactly right. stop taking it so personally. those two things that you brought up are facts. its the damn truth, just accept it

They were implying that the neighborhood was a rough part of town. They weren't making it out as if the neighborhood wasn't a good party place like Wrigley. That's what I took offense to.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
What type of neighborhood do the Royals play in? The Sox have outdrawn them for years.

I went to the game on Sunday. It's basically in the middle of nowhere off the interstate. Nice park though. I'd say it's a bit underrated.

QUOTE(KansasSoxFan @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)
Recently (last year, I think) there was an incident in KC where a player on the visiting team was sitting on the team bus and got shot by a stray bullet.

yep and he was being hazed since he was a rookie, and they said that he had to wear girls boots up to his knees, and supposedly the boot actually saved the bullet from going any deeper and may have saved him from serious injury...

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 08:02 AM)
They were implying that the neighborhood was a rough part of town.  They weren't making it out as if the neighborhood wasn't a good party place like Wrigley.  That's what I took offense to.

oh ok....its a common misperception today, about 10 years ago the neighborhood was really rough, in the past 3 years its gotten better and in about 10 years its going to be considered a nice part of town again. i think it gets a bum rap from out of towners because of the reputation that it once had, but they arent around enough to realize the improving changes in the area

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 08:29 AM)
oh ok....its a common misperception today, about 10 years ago the neighborhood was really rough, in the past 3 years its gotten better and in about 10 years its going to be considered a nice part of town again. i think it gets a bum rap from out of towners because of the reputation that it once had, but they arent around enough to realize the improving changes in the area

I've lived here my whole life and I don't remember it ever being rough. It has always been a perception.

Perhaps they're still pissed off about the Gamboa incident? But really, those announcers are a couple of jag bags. Do people actually have to have a journalism degree anymore to do any type of journalism? They need to research s*** before making ignorant blanketed statements.

Can you blame them for being bitter folks, they do live in ugh... Missouri! As Grandpa Simpson once said "It'll be a cold day in hell when I consider Missouri a state!"

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)
yep and he was being hazed since he was a rookie, and they said that he had to wear girls boots up to his knees, and supposedly the boot actually saved the bullet from going any deeper and may have saved him from serious injury...

It was a Cleveland player.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
Perhaps they're still pissed off about the Gamboa incident?  But really, those announcers are a couple of jag bags.  Do people actually have to have a journalism degree anymore to do any type of journalism?  They need to research s*** before making ignorant blanketed statements.

Can you blame them for being bitter folks, they do live in ugh... Missouri!  As Grandpa Simpson once said "It'll be a cold day in hell when I consider Missouri a state!"

They all should have journalism degrees, like Hawk and DJ!

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
Perhaps they're still pissed off about the Gamboa incident?  But really, those announcers are a couple of jag bags.  Do people actually have to have a journalism degree anymore to do any type of journalism?  They need to research s*** before making ignorant blanketed statements.

Can you blame them for being bitter folks, they do live in ugh... Missouri!  As Grandpa Simpson once said "It'll be a cold day in hell when I consider Missouri a state!"

Sorry, gotta correct you here.

It's "I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missoura!"

Their TV Guys weren't exactly geniuses either. A couple of my favorites from last night:

Iguchi is not the regular starting 2b, but has been splitting time with Harris, and is only getting more playing time now because Harris has been slumping. (No word about how well Tad has actually done).

Neal Cotts is usually a situational guy, and he's probably not ready to work more than a couple of hitters. (they repeated this each inning he came out...seems like no one bothered to tell them that he used to start games)

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)
They were implying that the neighborhood was a rough part of town.  They weren't making it out as if the neighborhood wasn't a good party place like Wrigley.  That's what I took offense to.

It is a rough part of town for people who dont live in the city.