Which AL Pitcher Should Start The All-Star Game?

AddisonStSox

Which AL Pitcher Should Start the All-Star Game?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which AL Pitcher Should Start the All-Star Game?

• Buehrle
    • Garland
    • Halladay
    • Rogers
    • Other

I've argued on this point far too much over the last couple days. But this is one of the most fun subjects to argue about.

I've been a huge perponant of Halladay starting the All-Star game and I'm sticking with it. Stats tell all.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
I've argued on this point far too much over the last couple days. But this is one of the most fun subjects to argue about.

I've been a huge perponant of Halladay starting the All-Star game and I'm sticking with it. Stats tell all.

I wonder if Buehrle era is going to be lower then Halladays after the game.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)

I agree wholeheartedly.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
I wonder if Buehrle era is going to be lower then Halladays after the game.

After today's game Buehrle's ERA is down to 2.48 compared to Halladay's 3.53.

However Halladay is pitching tonight verse the Orioles so before you say anything you have to wait until after Halladay's start.

Also Halladay still has the edge on Buehlre in:

WHIP

IP

Ks

Wins

OBA

and less run support

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)

However Halladay is pitching tonight verse the Orioles so before you say anything you have to wait until after Halladay's start.

WHIP

IP

Ks

Wins

OBA

and less run support

Ok, I still think its a toss up beetween buehrle and halladay. Im gunna wait closer to the game to decide.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
Might I ask why?

the only reason that comes to mind is that hes on a better team, he has less losses, and my opinon is biased, other than that i have no support to strengthen my reason for him being the starter

but he should be the number 2 guy if all else fails

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)

WHIP

IP

Ks

Wins

OBA

and less run support

i was all ready to take a hot smash on this argument until i realized halladay's era is 2.53, not 3.53. it's a tossup.

American League leaders in major pitching categories:

ERA:

1. Rogers - 2.46

2. Buehrle - 2.48

3. Halladay - 2.51

4. Colon - 2.99

5. C.Young - 3.16

WHIP:

1. Santana - 0.93

2. Halladay - 0.95

3. Buehrle - 1.03

4. Garland - 1.09

5. Colon - 1.16

OBA:

1. Santana - .241

2. Halladay - .259

3. Buehrle - .267

4. Garland - .285

5. Colon - .291

Wins:

1. Garland - 12

2. Halladay - 11

3. Buehrle - 9

3. Colon - 9

3. Rogers - 9

3. Bonderman - 9

IP:

1. Halladay - 122.0

2. Buehrle - 116.0

3. Santana - 107.0

4. R.Johnson - 103.0

5. Bonderman - 102.2

Ks:

1. Santana - 124

2. R.Johnson - 94

3. Halladay - 91

4. Bonderman - 82

5. Clement - 78

CG:

1. Halladay - 5

2. R.Johnson - 3

3. Buehrle - 2

3. Garland - 2

3. Colon - 2

SHO:

1. Garland - 2

1. Halladay - 2

1. Mussina - 2

4. Buehrle - 1

4. Rogers - 1

4. Santana - 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Halladay is easily the starter of the All-Star game as of right now, Buehrle is back to back with him in 6 categories. So it wouldn't be hard for Buehrle to pass Halladay. One bad outing by Halladay and a great outing by Buehrle and suddenly Buehrle passes him.

Johan Santana is having a much better season than advertised, his WHIP, OBA and SO numbers are insane. The defense behind him has been s*** which translates to the high ERA and Win numbers.

I don't know why people insist on Garland starting it, his numbers are not all that great. He has the most wins (by 1 over Halladay) and his WHIP and OBA numbers are decent (Halladay is far ahead of him in both).

Rogers is the same case as Garland but instead of Wins he has ERA going for him. After his miserable start last night his ERA has skyrocketed from 1.98 all the way up to 2.46, which pretty much sqrews him here considering his high OBA and WHIP.

Bartolo Colon is having an extremely underrated season. He started slow but has picked it up since. His ERA is under 3 now and his WHIP and OBA numbers are good (though both are a bit lower than Garland's). He now has 9 Wins and should be a candidate.

Pecking Order:

1. Halladay

2. Buehrle

3. Garland

4. Colon

5. Rogers

-----------------

6. Santana

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 08:18 PM)
American League leaders in major pitching categories:

ERA:

1. Rogers - 2.46

2. Buehrle - 2.48

3. Halladay - 2.51

4. Colon - 2.99

5. C.Young - 3.16

WHIP:

1. Santana - 0.93

2. Halladay - 0.95

3. Buehrle - 1.03

4. Garland - 1.09

5. Colon - 1.16

OBA:

1. Santana - .241

2. Halladay - .259

3. Buehrle - .267

4. Garland - .285

5. Colon - .291

Wins:

1. Garland - 12

2. Halladay - 11

3. Buehrle - 9

3. Colon - 9

3. Rogers - 9

3. Bonderman - 9

IP:

1. Halladay - 122.0

2. Buehrle - 116.0

3. Santana - 107.0

4. R.Johnson - 103.0

5. Bonderman - 102.2

Ks:

1. Santana - 124

2. R.Johnson - 94

3. Halladay - 91

4. Bonderman - 82

5. Clement - 78

CG:

1. Halladay - 5

2. R.Johnson - 3

3. Buehrle - 2

3. Garland - 2

3. Colon - 2

SHO:

1. Garland - 2

1. Halladay - 2

1. Mussina - 2

4. Buehrle - 1

4. Rogers - 1

4. Santana - 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Halladay is easily the starter of the All-Star game as of right now, Buehrle is back to back with him in 6 categories. So it wouldn't be hard for Buehrle to pass Halladay. One bad outing by Halladay and a great outing by Buehrle and suddenly Buehrle passes him.

Johan Santana is having a much better season than advertised, his WHIP, OBA and SO numbers are insane. The defense behind him has been s*** which translates to the high ERA and Win numbers.

I don't know why people insist on Garland starting it, his numbers are not all that great. He has the most wins (by 1 over Halladay) and his WHIP and OBA numbers are decent (Halladay is far ahead of him in both).

Rogers is the same case as Garland but instead of Wins he has ERA going for him. After his miserable start last night his ERA has skyrocketed from 1.98 all the way up to 2.46, which pretty much sqrews him here considering his high OBA and WHIP.

Bartolo Colon is having an extremely underrated season. He started slow but has picked it up since. His ERA is under 3 now and his WHIP and OBA numbers are good (though both are a bit lower than Garland's). He now has 9 Wins and should be a candidate.

Pecking Order:

1. Halladay

2. Buehrle

3. Garland

4. Colon

5. Rogers

-----------------

6. Santana

Sounds pretty convincing to me, Halladay does deserve it with Buehrle being right behind him.

Mark is 9-1, but should be 12-1. His stats are comparable to Halladay's in every category but Ks, and he has that 43 start streak of going 6 or more innings, something no other pitcher is even close to. I think it should be Mark's time, but if Halladay is the pick, so be it. It's not like either has a huge edge over the other.