Jason Schdimt to the Sox??

Southside hitmen

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
That won't happen.  Why would they keep Schmidt for the rest of their losing season and then pay him his $3 million buyout to get rid of him?  They are going to decide to either trade him at the deadline or pick up his $10 million option for next season.  Keeping him for the rest of this season and then buying out his contract would make absolutely no sense.  Sabean is just trying to up the ante on Schmidt's trade value to the teams that are interested in him.

Sabean could decide not to pick up the option if Schmidt was hurt or something along those lines. But I did read where he said that the buy out was an option within the past few days. Posturing, maybe. But it was in print

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 06:06 PM)
What gives us a better chance to win a WS?

Trade our future for 3 month rental of Schmidt?

Or keep producing playoff teams for the next 5 years, replacing Dye, the cubans, etc. with cheaper talent (which may or may not be talent, agreed) from our farm system, freeing up cash to pursue free agents and pay the raises that MB et al will deserve and get from someone?

I believe that the latter approach is wiser given our budget constraints.  Now if he's healthy AND if we plan on signing him, that's another story.  But you don't pay a price like we paid for Garcia, short of confidence in him being in the long term plans.  And it appears that the Giants are asking more than the Mariners asked for Garcia.

Schmidt could get a 3 month chance to help the Sox win a W.S. If it didn't work out, the sox could pick up his option for 2006 and trade him to another team for prospects in the off season. Not ideal, but for a legitimate shot at a ring, the risk would probably be worth it

My guess is if he pitches well, someone else would be odd man out via trade. One area the sox don't want to skimp on salary is the SP. They've "seen the light" and will spend in this area [within reason] if it helps improve the club

BTW, Schmidt would come with a team option for 2006 for $10 mill. So it could be for 1 1/2 yrs, not just 3 months

Edited by beck72

I would be ecstatic if we picked up Schmidt. Right now I have little faith in the 2 Cubans. I know we have the best record and all but it doesn't seem like these 2 guys are pitchers we can count on. Buehrle, Garland, Garcia and Schmidt would strike fear in any opposing clubhouse this post season.

That's ridiculous.  Alou is probably as bad as Everett in the field.

About the other thing, Schmidt is an ace.  Give up anything to get him.  I'm sick of people caring more about prospects than proven talent.  Jesus Christ, he's Jason f***ing Schmidt.

No he's not. Look at their ZR over the years. It's how much of your position that you cover that matters most. Alou beats Everett hands down. Offensively Alou gives you more.

As for Jason, let's not forget that he had two bad starts, went on the DL, then had 4 bad starts & now has had 2 dominant starts. Is he a health risk? Are we trading for damaged goods? KW needs to consider that.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 25, 2005 -> 02:39 AM)
So, you wouldn't give up prospects for a guy like Schmidt, but you'd give up probably more prospects and a ridiculous amount of money to get Clemens?  You said it yourself, we're not the Yankees or Red Sox.  And you went against your own logic.

If I thought Schmidt would deliver the WS to us, I suppose I'd give up almost anything because I've been waiting 35 years for the Sox to win. But I don't see him being the difference maker at this point. Roger is a different story becuase he would be the difference maker, but if you note I'm not willing to give up multiple top tier guys for him either. (For Roger, the money is only this year, and he would likely pay for himself through greater attendance and taking us to the WS.)

Now if Schmidt's price was right, where the Giants were willing to take second-tier prospects, then there is little downside risk to the move. The other option might be if the Giants were willing to take Contreras in the deal along with the second tier prospects. That would at least buy us more consistency in the #4 hole.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 06:00 PM)
If I thought Schmidt would deliver the WS to us, I suppose I'd give up almost anything because I've been waiting 35 years for the Sox to win.  But I don't see him being the difference maker at this point.  Roger is a different story becuase he would be the difference maker, but if you note I'm not willing to give up multiple top tier guys for him either.  (For Roger, the money is only this year, and he would likely pay for himself through greater attendance and taking us to the WS.)

Now if Schmidt's price was right, where the Giants were willing to take second-tier prospects, then there is little downside risk to the move.  The other option might be if the Giants were willing to take Contreras in the deal along with the second tier prospects.  That would at least buy us more consistency in the #4 hole.

Any trade for Schmidt is going to take A level prospects like McCarthy and Anderson, and if Sabean is dumb, Sweeney. If it would take McCarthy and Anderson for a presumably healthy Schmidt, you do it. If the Sox would then reach the playoffs, forget about the opposing offense even having a chance. It would be flat out unfair.