Jason Schdimt to the Sox??

Southside hitmen

We're now within hailing distance of the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, and, accordingly, we're beginning to separate wheat from chaff in this, the 2005 season.

As such, this time of year it's a growth economy for trade speculation and rumor peddling. So to perhaps get a better idea of what might go down as the deadline approaches, let's take a look at those players who should and shouldn't be changing addresses in the coming weeks.

Should be traded

Moises Alou, Giants

The Giants are an awful team with a farm system devoid of talent and no hope of contention with or without Barry Bonds. This situation doesn't figure to change next season. However, they do have a handful of veteran commodities that could net the Giants some premium prospects in return and hasten the long overdue rebuilding process. Alou is one of those veterans.

Alou is a defensive liability these days, but his bat remains potent. Last season as a Cub, he batted .293 AVG/.361 OBP/.557 SLG, and this season, in limited action, he's hitting .304 AVG/.404 OBP/.513 SLG. These days, Alou's best deployed as a DH, and that means he'd be a good fit for the Angels, Rangers or Yankees. If there's an NL team willing to tolerate his outfield glove in exchange for some desperately needed offense, it's probably the Braves.

Roger Clemens, Astros

To date, he's probably been the best starting pitcher in baseball. Sure, he's 42, but, based on his peripheral indicators, he figures to continue being an elite performer at least for the balance of the current season. Clemens likes pitching close to his Katy, Texas home, but perhaps the thrill of a pennant scrum would persuade him to approve a trade. He's expensive, but he's signed through only the current season. The Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Dodgers, Nationals and Rangers all make sense.

Mark Redman, Pirates

An elite performer? Certainly not. However, Redman's having a fine season. In 2005, he's made hay by flashing solid control and keeping the ball in the park. His 3.14 ERA is a bit of a fluke, but he's a reasonable short-term fix for a team in need of back-of-the-rotation help. Furthermore, he's 31 and unlikely to be effective by the time the Pirates get around to being consequential once again. Redman would be a decent fit for any team in need of a fourth or fifth starter. The Orioles, Yankees, Nats, Twins and Angels immediately come to mind.

Jason Schmidt, Giants

Trading for Jason Schmidt may be a gamble, but it's one some team should take. (Duane Burleson / Associated Press)

The second-most coveted arm supposedly on the market is Jason Schmidt. Schmidt's 32, and the guaranteed/onerous portion of his contract ends after this season. With the Giants hurtling toward an organizational drought, re-signing him makes little sense.

From the other perspective, he's a bit of a calculated risk for whoever decides to deal for him. Schmidt's spent time on the DL this season, and his control has been woefully lacking at times. Still, he's got name value and has been pitching better of late; finding suitors shouldn't be difficult. Interested parties would probably include the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Dodgers (not that the Giants would trade him to L.A.), Twins, Rangers, Nats and White Sox (should Orlando Hernandez's injury prove to be serious and Brandon McCarthy continue to founder

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White Sox (should Orlando Hernandez's injury prove to be serious and Brandon McCarthy continue to founder

Pure speculation on the wrighters part.

I don't want him anyway, he's overpriced considering what we'd have to give up for him.

Why should we go after a guy who is already struggling and hope that he turns it around for us.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
Pure speculation on the wrighters part.

I don't want him anyway, he's overpriced both contract wise and prospect wise.

Why should we go after a guy who is already struggling and hope that he turns it around for us.

OFs and SPs, the two things we don't need at all.

I want two relievers. But I'll take one.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
It just seems stupid to me to go after a guy who has struggled the entire season for his team and think that he'll come to the Sox and the Cell and pitch lights out.

Randy Johnson wasn't very good with Seattle in 1998. Then gets traded to Houston and goes 10-1. Schmidt has been much better of late. I think this is the type of guy KW needs to acquire.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
Schmidt Contract:

2005 - $8.75

2006 - $10 mil. option

you make good points, I just really don't like it when money is made an issue. the problem with Schmidt is that he's struggling and we'd be banking on the fact that he turns it around. you bring his salary into it, it's almost like you're saying even if it were guaranteed he'd turn it around, you wouldn't want him at that price. hell, maybe that's what you are saying, but either way, I wouldn't mind seeing this team spend like the Yankees.

If Reinsdorf and co. are willing to take on Schmidt, this would be a ridiculous move not to make. Assuming we let the Big Hurt walk, we get a nice chunk of that 10 million he is owed next year, and our staff looks like this.

Buehrle

Schmidt

Garcia

Garland

Contreras

I would assume McCarthy would be gone in the Schmidt deal, along with either Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney. You can't make an omellette without breaking a few eggs, right?

Schmidt is an amazing starting pitcher, who has slumped a bit this season, but that is the only reason the Giants consider him tradeable.

Just look at the stats; he hasn't had an ERA above 3.45 since 2001. The guy is a workhorse, and any team that has aspirations of winning its first World Series in nine decades would piss their pants to get him.

However, I don't expect to see Jason Schmidt in a White Sox uniform. He would possibly put this team over the top, but at his worst would still be better than El Duque/ B-Mac.

If the Sox are going to get a SP, why not make it the best one available? I'm not talking about Clemens or Schmidt, but rather Roy Oswalt. I know there hasn't been anything said about him being on the block yet, however, I'm sure if a team makes them a good offer, he could be had. I'm sure if the Sox packaged some good prospects together, he could be had.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 12:35 AM)
If Reinsdorf and co. are willing to take on Schmidt, this would be a ridiculous move not to make.  Assuming we let the Big Hurt walk, we get a nice chunk of that 10 million he is owed next year, and our staff looks like this.

Buehrle

Schmidt

Garcia

Garland

Contreras

I would assume McCarthy would be gone in the Schmidt deal, along with either Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney.  You can't make an omellette without breaking a few eggs, right?

Schmidt is an amazing starting pitcher, who has slumped a bit this season, but that is the only reason the Giants consider him tradeable.

Just look at the stats; he hasn't had an ERA above 3.45 since 2001.  The guy is a workhorse, and any team that has aspirations of winning its first World Series in nine decades would piss their pants to get him.

However, I don't expect to see Jason Schmidt in a White Sox uniform.  He would possibly put this team over the top, but at his worst would still be better than El Duque/ B-Mac.

So, we'd rather let our team icon and future HOFer walk, so that we can bring in a so-so Jason Schmidt at $10 million next year? SIGN ME UP!!

I'm passing on Jason Schmidt. Also getting tired of reading the "MLB_player_01 is on his last yar of contract/needs to be traded/on the block, lets go get him! (even if we don't really need him)." Can't we as Sox fans for ONCE just sit back, see what this team is accomplishing WITH THE PLAYERS WE HAVE, and just say "Wow."

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)
So, we'd rather let our team icon and future HOFer walk, so that we can bring in a so-so Jason Schmidt at $10 million next year? SIGN ME UP!!

I'm passing on Jason Schmidt. Also getting tired of reading the "MLB_player_01 is on his last yar of contract/needs to be traded/on the block, lets go get him! (even if we don't really need him)." Can't we as Sox fans for ONCE just sit back, see what this team is accomplishing WITH THE PLAYERS WE HAVE, and just say "Wow."

Hey, I love Frank as much as the next guy, but he wont be here next year regardless if we get Schmidt or not. Management hates him. I'd rather have an ace than nothing at all. All the good free agent pitchers will be paid 8 mill plus (see Eric Milton last year). I'd rather have Schmidt at 10 then Milt at 8.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
Hey, I love Frank as much as the next guy, but he wont be here next year regardless if we get Schmidt or not.  Management hates him.  I'd rather have an ace than nothing at all.  All the good free agent pitchers will be paid 8 mill plus (see Eric Milton last year).  I'd rather have Schmidt at 10 then Milt at 8.

Management hates him? You do know that Frank is the prize possession of Reinsdorf dont you? Frank will either be back after the team lets him exercise his own option, or will come back at a lower price after both options are declined mutually. JR has seen what happened with Fisk and the fiasco thereafter. Thomas won't be walking away from the Southside. Konerko, on the other hand...

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)
Management hates him? You do know that Frank is the prize possession of Reinsdorf dont you? Frank will either be back after the team lets him exercise his own option, or will come back at a lower price after both options are declined mutually. JR has seen what happened with Fisk and the fiasco thereafter. Thomas won't be walking away from the Southside. Konerko, on the other hand...

You call yourself captain obvious, yet you can't see this. Frank is gone after this year. If they could've, he'da been gone last year or the year before.

I thought Rocket returned to baseball merely with the stipulation he pitch in his hometown.

He was done and ready to retire, but for that money and getting to pitch at home and be with his family, it was worth it to him to go on.

Why do the national pundits think that's changed? Won't he just retire if he gets dealt?

We have a wealth of talent on this team right now. Schmidt would add to that, of course. If the Giants are giving him away... why not? I think he was hurt to start the year, but seems to be recovering as of late. Reinsdorf supposedly is willing to add payroll.

Is the 2006 option a player or team option?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
I thought Rocket returned to baseball merely with the stipulation he pitch in his hometown.

He was done and ready to retire, but for that money and getting to pitch at home and be with his family, it was worth it to him to go on.

Why do the national pundits think that's changed? Won't he just retire if he gets dealt?

I think he'll wind up with the Texas Rangers...