6/26 games

ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)
This pitchers park thing limiting his power is such horses***, and I'm sick of hearing it.

On Sweeney you are right on. But the Met does sap a lot of power hitter with park being in a bowl and '347 down the lines '392 to the allies and '414 to Center. I never forget what the Hurt had to say about that place after playing an exhibition game in 03 " Take a couple sticks of dynamite and light it up". Barons have hit 64 bombs only 18 at the Met.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 03:39 AM)
On Sweeney you are right on.  But the Met does sap a lot of power hitter with park being in a bowl and '347 down the lines '392 to the allies and '414 to Center.  I never forget what the Hurt had to say about that place after playing an exhibition game in 03 " Take a couple sticks of dynamite and light it up".  Barons have hit 64 bombs only 18 at the Met.

Tom, it is actually 340 down the lines, 385 to the gaps and 405 to CF. But the kicker is that the ball just does not carry there for some reason. Many well hit balls die in deep CF there, that would be out at most other minor league parks, hence the lopsided HR numbers.

The Met has also almost always produced a full run differential in team ERA from home to road, and sometimes more.

To add to the "Met Effect" a bit.......

Last year the Barons scored 292 runs at home or 4.29 per game. On the road, they scored 343 runs, or 4.83 runs per game, more than half a run difference.

They hit only 34 HR at home and 71 on the road.

Their team ERA at home was 3.23 vs. 3.63 on the road.

Those numbers were actually the closest home/road differentials since at least 1999.

In 2005, the numbers are.......

HR's - 21 at home vs. 43 on the road

Runs - 148 at home vs. 241 on the road (almost 100 more!)

ERA - 3.88 at home vs. 4.33 on the road

Last year at about 2/3 through the season, I did a little research and found that the Met was home to the least amount of HR's (both teams) in all of AA and AAA and only a few spring training ballparks in the Florida State League kept it from being the lowest in all full season leagues. Charlotte on the other hand, was 2nd highest behind Albuquerque.

Call it whatever you want, but the numbers speak for themselves.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
Tom, it is actually 340 down the lines, 385 to the gaps and 405 to CF.  But the kicker is that the ball just does not carry there for some reason.  Many well hit balls die in deep CF there, that would be out at most other minor league parks, hence the lopsided HR numbers. 

The Met has also almost always produced a full run differential in team ERA from home to road, and sometimes more.

I wasn't sure if the 8ft wall was included or not so I decided to error on the side of caution. Thanks for clearing that up Rex

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 02:31 AM)
How did you come to bash Sweeney from a post about Young?  But if you want to compare them, I would tend to disagree with you.  I could care less abou OPS at this point.  Until Young proves he can keep from striking out 150 times a year, MLB pitchers will expose his holes early and often.

Sweeney is just 20, the second youngest player in his league.  I fully expect Sweeney to repeat AA next year,  but Sweeney will come.  After watching them both, I'd rate them this way...

Young - higher ceiling and also higher likelihood to flop at higher levels

Sweeney - more of a sure thing, but doesn't have as high of a ceiling.  He will have less power but hit for a higher average and have a solid OBP.  If he develops power and many players develop it later, then he will be a good player for a long time. 

Both could end up being very good MLB players and I really like Young's potential, but I am not going to ignore his weaknesses either.

Come on Rex, you know Young is going to be the better major leaguer. :P

QUOTE(MnSoxFan @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 12:47 AM)
Come on Rex, you know Young is going to be the better major leaguer.  :P

He very well may........ in fact, I'd love it if he is a great Major Leaguer... the potential is certainly there. But when comparing the two, let's not forget that Young is two baseball seasons ahead of Sweeney. What would Sweeney be doing if he was still in rookie ball or low A?

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 12:56 AM)
He very well may........  in fact, I'd love it if he is a great Major Leaguer...    the potential is certainly there.  But when comparing the two, let's not forget that Young is two baseball seasons ahead of Sweeney.  What would Sweeney be doing if he was still in rookie ball or low A?

Young missed his 1st season due to broken leg, he has 1 more year in than Sweeney actually. correct?

I like em both, Sweeney needs to hit with men on base. I do not mind 150 Ks if Young takes walks and hits for power. Not at all.

Young missed his 1st season due to broken leg, he has 1 more year in than Sweeney actually. correct?

I like em both, Sweeney needs to hit with men on base. I do not mind 150 Ks if Young takes walks and hits for power. Not at all.

Where have you been, have not seen you around lately.

Anything interesting in BA? I have been looking on the newsstand and haven't seen anything exciting.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
Where have you been, have not seen you around lately.

Anything interesting in BA?  I have been looking on the newsstand and haven't seen anything exciting.

Work has been super busy, and just got back from a week down south, Springfield Missouri and Louisville. People up here in Minny think it is humid, need to send them down there for a week, heh.

Just enjoying the season, has not been too much to post, I used to like to link the boxes for minor league teams, but these guys normally get them up in decent fashion, and cover it well enough I do not have much to add.

Trying to get Rex up for a ballgame, I might try to make one in early August. Saw them for 2 games early this season, might even have been opening week.

QUOTE(MnSoxFan @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 05:18 PM)
Work has been super busy, and just got back from a week down south, Springfield Missouri and Louisville. People up here in Minny think it is humid, need to send them down there for a week, heh.

Just enjoying the season, has not been too much to post, I used to like to link the boxes for minor league teams, but these guys normally get them up in decent fashion, and cover it well enough I do not have much to add.

Trying to get Rex up for a ballgame, I might try to make one in early August. Saw them for 2 games early this season, might even have been opening week.

I'm tryin damnit, but Southwest won't give me a decent freakin fare up there!!

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 04:40 AM)
According to baseball cube he was drafted in 2001 and first played for Arizona in 2002. Link :huh

He didn't sign until August the year he was drafted, hence him not playing that year. But he still spent two 2002 and 2003 in rookie ball and 2004 in low A.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 29, 2005 -> 11:43 PM)
He didn't sign until August the year he was drafted, hence him not playing that  year.  But he still spent two 2002 and 2003 in rookie ball and 2004 in low A.

That explains it. I figured there was no way you could be wrong. (and I'm not being sarcastic lol). :notworthy

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 04:48 AM)
That explains it. I figured there was no way you could be wrong. (and I'm not being sarcastic lol). :notworthy

I just looked up his signing date, that's all. lol

August 19, 2001 for those keeping score at home.