6/26 games

ChiSox_Sonix

Barons win 5-2

Young 2-4 with 2 HR (16)

Lopez with HR #1

Rogo and Sweeney with multi-hit games

Tracey pitched well, Jenks picked up the save

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...biraax_cmcaax_1

Charlotte loses 4-3 by blowing 2 chances to win on the mound(9th and 10th innings)

Norton 3-5

Anderson 2-5

Adkins threw a gem, 9IP 6 hits, 2R (1ER) 1 BB 6 SO

Walker blew the save

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...chraaa_swbaaa_1

'Hogs win 6-2

Daigle 1-4

Valido 2-2, 2 SB (22)

Schnur 1-2

Broadway pitched 5 innings allowing 3 hits and 2 ER to pick up his first professional win

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...wilafx_wswafx_1

Tom, how is Sweeney looking these days, it appears he's back on track?

How should we react to him showing no HR power?

Thanks.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 26, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
Tom, how is Sweeney looking these days, it appears he's back on track?

How should we react to him showing no HR power?

Thanks.

He been hitting tons of line drives it's a different stroke then he had last couple weeks he had a little bit of an upper cut but these last few games he has gone back to the line drive swing. Hit a double off the RF wall today so hopefully that is something to come. I am concerned about the lack of power but I have this feeling he is ready to explode soon he looks a lot more comfortable at the dish. It looked like he had been trying to hard to homer but now he is back to hitting line drives which is really the only way to hit one out @ the Met.

Hope this helps

Barons 5 Carolina 2

W- Tracey (8-3) L- Brazardo (5-5) Sv-Jenks (17)

A very well played ballgame, everything done well from a key pickoff to outstanding defense, good pitching, Suicide Squeeze Bunt timely hitting, power hitting and stolen bases. Tracey pitched very well with a very worn out pen behind him only 4 relievers in the pen all have thrown at least one inning since Friday night hopefully the Sox's will give the Barons some relief help soon. Tracey goes into the 7th Meaux came in was great and Bobby in the 9th was almost impossible to hit of in the 9th. Chris Young hit 2 towering homers and ties him for the lead in the SL with 16 with Delmon Young. Pedro Lopez hits first with the Barons. Also Rogo had a nice 3 hit game and multiple hit games for Chris Stewart and Ryan Sweeney.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 01:10 AM)
He been hitting tons of line drives it's a different stroke then he had last couple weeks he had a little bit of an upper cut but these last few games he has gone back to the line drive swing.  Hit a double off the RF wall today so hopefully that is something to come.  I am concerned about the lack of power but I have this feeling he is ready to explode soon he looks a lot more comfortable at the dish. It looked like he had been trying to hard to homer but now he is back to hitting line drives which is really the only way to hit one out @ the Met. 

Hope this helps

I have a hunch that Sweeney will explode in his 2nd season in AA. I really think he will need that rather than continuing to move up prematurely.

Seems like ever since Chris Young was named to the Futures Team he's been tearing the cover off of the ball.

Nice to see Valido with a high stolen base total, is he still kind of rough in the field or has he gotten better? (for anyone who might know)

Seems like ever since Chris Young was named to the Futures Team he's been tearing the cover off of the ball.

Nice to see Valido with a high stolen base total, is he still kind of rough in the field or has he gotten better? (for anyone who might know)

I haven't seen him play, other than Tucson, but from what I read they are very pleased with his defense to the point of saying he's close to major league ready defensively, right behind Pedro Lopez.

Seeing him in Tucson, he looked very smooth, good instincts.

I have a hunch that Sweeney will explode in his 2nd season in AA.  I really think he will need that rather than continuing to move up prematurely.

Totally agree.

He's just 20, I would like to see him stay there and part of next year too. He has great talent and just needs to settle in and get experience. If he comes on, he could be a major league regular in 2007.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 07:22 AM)
Totally agree.

He's just 20, I would like to see him stay there and part of next year too.  He has great talent and just needs to settle in and get experience.  If he comes on, he could be a major league regular in 2007.

Totally agree I think the end of this season and first half of next season he could go on a tear. He really turned it on in the 2nd half last season.

Great Falls loses 10-4

Allen 2-4, HR (2), 3RBI

Getz 2-4

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...grfrok_helrok_1

Kanny loses 8-1

Ricks 0-4

Hernandez 1-3

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...gboafx_kanafx_1

Bristol also lost 6-5

Sanchez 0-4, 2K

Carter 1-4, HR

Sanchez 3.2IP, 3H, 4R (2ER), 2BB, 2 SO

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...brirok_kptrok_1

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
Totally agree I think the end of this season and first half of next season he could go on a tear.  He really turned it on in the 2nd half last season.

Yeah, while I'm not as big of a Sweeney fan as most after what he did in the 2nd half last year it wouldn't surprise me if he does well this 2nd half as well.

Gotta remember he's hitting half of his games in a pitchers park, in his first season at AA. Yes the lack of power is disheartening, but there's plenty of time for him to make it, and he shouldn't be rushed.

Discuss on Young;

Chris Young hit his 15th and 16th homers Sunday for Double-A Birmingham.

Young is batting .247/.344/.512 with 14 steals in 18 attempts. Since he's a very good defensive center fielder, his inability to hit for average shouldn't prevent him from becoming a major league regular. He's an excellent prospect. Jun. 27 - 3:08 pm et

Chris Young hit his 15th and 16th homers Sunday for Double-A Birmingham.

Young is batting .247/.344/.512 with 14 steals in 18 attempts. Since he's a very good defensive center fielder, his inability to hit for average shouldn't prevent him from becoming a major league regular. He's an excellent prospect. Jun. 27 - 3:08 pm et

Nice to see him getting some love. He has got all the tools to be a solid major leaguer.

Young has a lot of potential but the odds of him making it are a lot lower than most good prospects. He has a low average which means he has holes, holes that will be exploited in the bigs. He has room to improve obviously. Not to say I won't take his current numbers for the Sox, but I'm concerned. His defense has improved a lot, only 2 errors this year, I remember him having a lot last year.

The lack of driving in runs is what concerns me about Sweeney. Fourteen RBI in 222 AB's is not very many. He has 11 doubles and I expect that to increase. I am less worried about his power than his low RBI total. Runs can be driven in with singles.........

danman, I agree that Young still has a long way to go before being MLB ready. You are dead right that his weaknesses will get exposed at higher levels. But what I do like about him is his explosiveness. He can really drive the ball both out of the yard and in the gaps, and and he can really run.

He is the ultimate example of a high risk/high reward player.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
Young has a lot of potential but the odds of him making it are a lot lower than most good prospects. He has a low average which means he has holes, holes that will be exploited in the bigs. He has room to improve obviously. Not to say I won't take his current numbers for the Sox, but I'm concerned. His defense has improved a lot, only 2 errors this year, I remember him having a lot last year.

Young skipped over High-A ball and has held his own in AA. At this point in time, Chris Young is far and away a better prospect than Ryan Sweeney. Sweeney has slugged in the 300s the past two years and his power isn't going to appear out of thin air. This pitchers park thing limiting his power is such horses***, and I'm sick of hearing it. Until Sweeney can hit an OPS at which Young is, we need to stop saying Sweeney is the next coming.

But I simulated his season in MVP (MVP Difficulty, even) and he is going to hit .320 with 17 homers and 84 RBI. Promote him now. On the other hand, Cotts has an ERA near nine. Demote him. Now. We can't blow a shot at another sim series.

Oh, and did I mention that Joe Borchard leads the International League in homers AND average. That's right b****es.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 27, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
But I simulated his season in MVP (MVP Difficulty, even) and he is going to hit .320 with 17 homers and 84 RBI. Promote him now. On the other hand, Cotts has an ERA near nine. Demote him. Now. We can't blow a shot at another sim series.

Oh, and did  I mention that Joe Borchard leads the International League in homers AND average. That's right b****es.

Scott Bikowski is 2nd in stolen bases too, right?

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 02:11 AM)
Young skipped over High-A ball and has held his own in AA. At this point in time, Chris Young is far and away a better prospect than Ryan Sweeney. Sweeney has slugged in the 300s the past two years and his power isn't going to appear out of thin air. This pitchers park thing limiting his power is such horses***, and I'm sick of hearing it. Until Sweeney can hit an OPS at which Young is, we need to stop saying Sweeney is the next coming.

How did you come to bash Sweeney from a post about Young? But if you want to compare them, I would tend to disagree with you. I could care less abou OPS at this point. Until Young proves he can keep from striking out 150 times a year, MLB pitchers will expose his holes early and often.

Sweeney is just 20, the second youngest player in his league. I fully expect Sweeney to repeat AA next year, but Sweeney will come. After watching them both, I'd rate them this way...

Young - higher ceiling and also higher likelihood to flop at higher levels

Sweeney - more of a sure thing, but doesn't have as high of a ceiling. He will have less power but hit for a higher average and have a solid OBP. If he develops power and many players develop it later, then he will be a good player for a long time.

Both could end up being very good MLB players and I really like Young's potential, but I am not going to ignore his weaknesses either.