Roger Clemens anyone?

kruzer31

There is a way that Clemens can become available if he opts out of his contract with New York, I believe it is his option to do so, not the teams. The odds of him wanting to picth here are not good. But the White Sox could lure him with an incentive laden contract for one year. He will definitly bring the fans out and would be nice to see him win number 300 in a Sox uniform just like Seaver did in 85. I know I wrote about getting Person and Moyer but just think if we had Clemens and Moyer. Ahhhh, dreams.

Someone brought up Shane Reynolds, I just dont like him. He is always injured, and i mean always. I know Person is coming off shoulder surgery but he has more of an upside then Reynolds who is at the tail end of his career. Anyone like Shawn Estes? How bout Chuck Finley? Maybe Pedro Astacio. Sox priorities in order should be The Rocket, Moyer, Person, then Astacio. Forget Reynolds, he is an accident waiting to happen.

Jeff

Well, Its me who brought up Shane Reynolds and I still like him, although you are right when it comes to injuries. He is a big questionmark, but I think of Jr and know he's going to go after someone real cheap and to me Reynolds is the best of that class.

Anyway, as far as Rocket goes, many of us here would love to get him here with a 2 yr deal or so, but Its just something I doubt will happen. One thing I do know is that signing would boost fan support and probably would bring in a good amount of people to the stadium.

Personally I think we should get 2 pitchers, but I know we will only get one starter, and to be honest I can live with it because I think Rauch is ready and if we only pick up one starter then Rauch has an easier shot at getting in.

By the way, welcome aboard, I enjoyed your article a lot.

How can you compare Shane to Ritchie?

Shane has been a winner everywhere he's been and has pitched on plenty of good teams, even playoff bound teams. Last season he was hurt, but the guy has proved over and over that he's one of the better pitchers in the majors, something Ritchie never had done.

Of course I'm not about to count Ritchie out because he has good stuff and he can't be as bad as he was last year.

As a 40 year old male,i've seen my f***ing namesake make NO commitment to quality playoff tested starting pitching.

Hell, do the Sox expect Beuhrle to pitch on 1 year contracts forever??

This is going to be 2003,not 1963!!

No way Clemens comes here.And even if he did,his fastball is slowing a bit.Remember how Danny Wright beat him 8-2 at Yankmee Stadium this past Sept.?The so called "Rocket" barely made it through the 4th,if I remember correctly.

Originally posted by f***REINSDORF

No way Clemens comes here.And even if he did,his fastball is slowing a bit.Remember how Danny Wright beat him 8-2 at Yankmee Stadium this past Sept.?The so called "Rocket" barely made it through the 4th,if I remember correctly. 

All ace material has a bad outing here and there. That's not a very good example, IMHO. Remember, it was Danny Wright who probably had more 3 2/3, 4 2/3 pitching performances this season than Clemens. Clemens is a veteran horse who could show a Danny Wright a thing or two. But, if Clemens has any aspirations of winning a WS soon, before he retires, he won't come to either of Chicago's teams. :mad:

The key with Clemens is he brings that winning attitude and cockiness to this club, something we could use if you ask me.

Lofton had a swagger, but was beat up and really couldn't do it as a leader, but to me Clemens is different. He's one of the greatest pitchers of all time and he isn't an ace anymore but he's still helpful and could do so much for our young pitchers.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

The key with Clemens is he brings that winning attitude and cockiness to this club, something we could use if you ask me.

Wasn't that the same intro everyone gave to David Wells?

It would have been nice if the Sox would've gotten Clemens the FIRST time he was "washed up", but now I'm afraid that if he ends up on the South Side, the bottom will fall out for good. It can't last forever for anyone...

I have no idea why some people actually want Clemens.

Have you guys seen him the past few seasons? he starts off great only to tail off considerably at the midpoint.

I wouldn't get him unless it is for under 5-6 mil, anymore would be a total waste.

I don't want to spend a lot on him, but the fact is he still has a good fastball and other pitches and has pitched sucessfully and flat out wins.

Ya, he isn't a cy young award pitcher anymore, but the guys in great shape and I think he can go another year or two.

Is he the best option, probably not, Maddux or Glavine is, but hey, if we can't land one of those I'd have Clemens then the likes of Person, Moyer, and Reynolds right behind.

Ian, if anyone pays Clemens 12 million a year then they are absolute fools.

He gets 6 in my opinion.

As far as Glavine and Maddux, ya, they'll make bank.  I'm think Glavine makes 12-14 over 3 yrs with Maddux getting 20 mill over 2 years.

Well get ready to be calling someone a fool.

I'll say Glavine signs a two year deal worth 24 million. Maddux 2 years at 26 million.

Originally posted by kruzer31

There is a way that Clemens can become available if he opts out of his contract with New York, I believe it is his option to do so, not the teams. The odds of him wanting to picth here are not good. But the White Sox could lure him with an incentive laden contract for one year. He will definitly bring the fans out and would be nice to see him win number 300 in a Sox uniform just like Seaver did in 85. I know  I wrote about getting Person and Moyer but just think if we had Clemens and Moyer. Ahhhh, dreams.

Someone brought up Shane Reynolds, I just dont like him. He is always injured, and i mean always. I know Person is coming off shoulder surgery but he has more of an upside then Reynolds who is at the tail end of his career. Anyone like Shawn Estes? How bout Chuck Finley? Maybe Pedro Astacio. Sox priorities in order should be The Rocket, Moyer, Person, then Astacio. Forget Reynolds, he is an accident waiting to happen.

Jeff

THE TIME FOR CLEMENS WAS IN 1996. ITS WAY TOO LATE FOR HIM NOW.

PASS

Why would anyone pay Maddux more then Glavine.  Look how good Glavine has pitched and then look at the fact that Maddux is having back troubles and other injuries with Tommy just keeps on rolling.

Understand there are a lot of idiots out there.

Their must be. I just tend to think that owners must be getting smarter after all the stupid mistakes they've made the past 5-7 years.

Theirs JR with Belle and Navarro

Dodgers with Dreifort and Brown and many others

Cubs with Alou, Rojas, etc.

Just about every owner has royally went out and overpaid for players that just aren't worth it.

No one can knock what A.Belle did. Ventura went down in 97 which killed us and for some reason the Big Hurt wasnt the Big Hurt when Belle came aboard. Albert Belle was a monster for the White Sox. The one year he hit like 49 dingers and 160 rbis, both franchise records. He was well worth the cash, and was never a problem with us. Yes, he was supposed to help us get to the world series, and he tried, it was not his fault. Anyone disagree?

Jeff

I dont disagree that he tried and failed, but the key to getting belle, was passing up on Clemens who went on to win..... I think 2 cy youngs in Toronto, While Albert b****ed and moaned in the clubhouse. There is no question the guy is a talent..... but damn what an ego. I think if we have Clemens spearheading that staff we coulda been serious contenders.. coulda.... woulda.... shoulda... JR doesn't believe that pitchers deserve lengthy contracts..... and we diddnt

Ya, but the key was for Belle to get us to the World Series and that my friend, never happened.

that is like blameing frank for not getting us into the world series this is a team game and u need more then offense to win(i think that was provin this year) so how can u blame belle. belle did not really cause much of a problem in the clubhouse either